Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Thor's depressive reaction and descent into drinking is very and unfortunately common in people in critical incident professions. At least 30 percent of folks we know about have serious problems. It's only in comics were heroes go through such repeated stress and don't lose it. Worked with some folks in those situations, one incident can generate flashbacks, nightmares, depression, cognitive problems, etc. Calling someone cowardly is just BS. Nowadays, our folks get talks on such when entering those professions (if they work for a good outfit). I doubt Asgard Academy ran lectures on mental health being such 'warrior' types.

Folks won't get help as they fear being called cowards and fear mental health status reports that will hurt their employment status. Terrible thing. Unless you've been through it or worked with those who have, you don't know what you are talking about if you criticize them.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

and really, all the original avengers had interesting but very real reactions to the snap.

cap started and/or attended a group for people to talk through their emotions and how they are coping with it.

nattie was trying to find her best friend who really fell off after his family got dusted and hope that he can be saved from his destructive ways.

clint..............well, see above.

tony stepped away from being ironman and the world's protector to be a family man but still was dealing with the guilt of having lost someone who he considered a son.

bruce took a step back from himself and used that time to find emotional balance within himself and finding a measure of peace.

and thor............well, we know.

but i have to point out the sort of irony that tony and bruce were the most emotionally balance avengers in endgame but they were the most emotionally unbalance in the first avengers movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomzilla View Post
    I'd say Thanos's armor would hold up relatively well to Doomsday's blows. It's mostly Doomsday's massive AoE attacks that might inconvenience the Mad Titan. But given how Thanos has weathered Thor's lightning and successfully wielded the Infinity Gauntlet, I don't think Doomsday's energy attacks pose much of a threat to Thanos personally. Doomsday's energy pulses might do some good by removing Thanos's sword from the equation, however.

Speaking of Thanos's sword, there's still the matter of whether it can slash Doomsday apart, or decapitate him. Thanos slashed apart Captain America's shield, which is an impressive feat; however, what has Cap's shield tanked? To the best of my knowledge, it's tanked bullets, bombs, Iron Man's pulsar beams, and Thor's hammer strike -- the last feat being the most impressive. But is it more impressive than Doomsday's durability feats?
    I still think he's going to feel DD hits it's not gonna KO him but he's going to be hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Thor wasn’t being cowardly. He was deeply and utterly depressed. The only reason Cap didn’t break is he threw himself into a healthier coping mechanism than the God of Thunder did.
    For the god of thunder....sorry "alien culture that pretends to be gods" it is pretty weak that he turned to the sauce to cope. Oh well,a two time loser through and through

Quote Originally Posted by HATEISFOREVER View Post
    For the god of thunder....sorry "alien culture that pretends to be gods" it is pretty weak that he turned to the sauce to cope. Oh well,a two time loser through and through
    I don't know many heroic gods in comics who could stomach the belief that they failed half the sentient population of the universe (and that they failed their loved ones -- which would be the other half of the universe). For example, every iteration of Hercules in pop culture has gone through depression and crisis of faith for much smaller self-perceived failures than that, and he's supposed to be among the proudest, most confident of mythic figures.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

dude lost his mother, father, brother, best friend, teammates, home and felt responsible for half of the people of the universe get snapped. it's a testament to his own fortitude that he kept it together for so long.

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    dude lost his mother, father, brother, best friend, teammates, home and felt responsible for half of the people of the universe get snapped. it's a testament to his own fortitude that he kept it together for so long.
    Yet every other human character managed without completely giving into the last legal narcotic on earth. But hey,maybe he found something at the bottom of the bottle after all those years. No matter how you cut it,you turn to the bottle. Your a coward and hiding from reality.

Doomsday wins. H2H +Heat vision combo. Thanos blade didn't cut Cap's Shield either. He just smashed it with brute force. All it woukd do is not doomsday back, like a blow from Superman.

Yet every other human character managed without completely giving into the last legal narcotic on earth.
    None of the other characters lost as much. Comparing apples to oranges.

But hey,maybe he found something at the bottom of the bottle after all those years. No matter how you cut it,you turn to the bottle. Your a coward and hiding from reality.
    I mean you can say whatever you want, freedom of opinion and expression and all. Doesn't mean you're right. Nor does seemingly flame bait, feel like a particularly wise thing to.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel-Studios Rep View Post
    Doomsday wins. H2H +Heat vision combo. Thanos blade didn't cut Cap's Shield either. He just smashed it with brute force. All it woukd do is not doomsday back, like a blow from Superman.
    What even are you on about ? Vibranium absorbs and disperses kinetic energy. Thanos literally smashed it to pieces with an edged weapon that was having its momentum blunted/nullified; he's not going to have that issue with Doomsday.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Yet every other human character managed without completely giving into the last legal narcotic on earth. But hey,maybe he found something at the bottom of the bottle after all those years. No matter how you cut it,you turn to the bottle. Your a coward and hiding from reality.
    Not exactly true. Hawkeye turned to murder which is a much worse vice.

I think it would be best to drop the alcoholism discussion and focus back on the thread proper.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    What even are you on about ? Vibranium absorbs and disperses kinetic energy. Thanos literally smashed it to pieces with an edged weapon that was having its momentum blunted/nullified; he's not going to have that issue with Doomsday.
    I know Cap's 616 shield does that. Where in the MCU do they state it does that? Genuinely curious - I totally might be spacing
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    I know Cap's 616 shield does that. Where in the MCU do they state it does that? Genuinely curious - I totally might be spacing
    The best example I can think of is when Thor hits Cap's shield, and it sends out a shockwave that splits a tank in half. Cap doesn't even budge when this happens; the shield absorbs the kinetic energy and redirects it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomzilla View Post
    The best example I can think of is when Thor hits Cap's shield, and it sends out a shockwave that splits a tank in half. Cap doesn't even budge when this happens; the shield absorbs the kinetic energy and redirects it.
    That reeeaaally comes off more as a weird and unique reaction between Uru/Mjolnir than force displacement.

Everyone, including Cap, was pretty shocked at the reaction in the forrest fight. Thanos striking it doesn't do anything. Explosions etc don't do anything.

Plus Mjolnir/Vibranium unique reactions were essential to the Sokovia reaction in conjunction with Tony's heat shield thingy.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure