Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Invincible Member

I thought it was ok. I like the premise that these pulp type heroes have been fighting a secret war against the supernatural for years. I also agree with the people though who say that it reads like something from the mid 90's.

What was that comic that Lee did back in those days "Divine Right"? There was a teen boy who discovers that he's the key figure in some war between fantasy characters...this seems like a similar set up.
    Last edited by ed2962; 04-20-2018 at 03:51 AM.

Astonishing Member

I'm wondering if this will tie in to DC's old character The Immortal Man, who was a character who got reincarnated over and over through-out history and was kind of Vandal Savage's opposite number (if you ever wondered where Legends of Tomorrow got all that stuff in their take on Hawkman and Savage, it was The Immortal Man).

Well, the team leader (outside of the field) is Immortal Man so...

Just got a copy of the first issue and enjoyed it quite a bit. I hadn't been all that impressed with the previews , but the whole issue was a different thing. Given how some folks have pointed to similarities between these new books and certain Marvel titles (e.g. The Terrifics =the FF while Brimstone = Ghost Rider, etc) Immortal Men reminded me of the X-Men ... the whole school learning to use their powers while hidden from the world thing. But, despite that, this is something clearly different (since the analogy really breaks down fairly fast in the issue). I really liked it and am definitely on board for the series now.

So, the second issue is out, and I find it a lot better than the first, because it's starting expanding on the Immortal's backgrounds, and all. While the art was a little messy at time, I still liked it a lot. There may be too much narration bubbles however. But overall, great issue. reload's powers are sick, and I can't see to understand why Caden is so important.

I'm loving this fast paced intro. And the characters all seem fun. I'd love to see them fleshed out even more. Reload has the most interesting power, would love to see how it can be used besides "infinite ammo".

And yet another size-changing Native American. Oh, Apache Chief. Your legacy is understated, but no less loved. :P Timber is pretty cool though. And I like the density gimmick. That'll be fun.

Anyways, whatever happens to this title, I hope these characters stick around for a while.

So, issue #2...

I have to say, the TMNT nod was a really nice touch.

While I'm not so sure this one will get a long run, I am certainly interested.

The preview for next week's issue is out : https://www.cbr.com/preview-the-immortal-men-3/

Ghost Fist looks awesome, and perhaps it's because I've a french bulldog's puppy but damn, Stray is cute.
    Last edited by Korath; 06-09-2018 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    So, the second issue is out, and I find it a lot better than the first, because it's starting expanding on the Immortal's backgrounds, and all. While the art was a little messy at time, I still liked it a lot. There may be too much narration bubbles however. But overall, great issue. reload's powers are sick, and I can't see to understand why Caden is so important.
    To me, issue #2 read a lot like what I remember many early Image books were like back in the early 1990s, but at least we weren't stuck with Liefeld art.

Well, I haven't read those books, so I can't really judge the comparison

I must say however ta I think that Tynion should town down a bit the narrator cases, especially here in the last preview, but otherwise, the voices of the characters seems great and I like the little tidbits showing us Immortals may think, such as Ghost Fist saying that he is 126 years young, and not old.

So what are the names and abilities of these characters?

Ghost Fist (the Harlem-born one) can gather some ghostly energy around him and use it to either strike at his enemies or teleport peoples away.
    Reload (missing in the last preview) is able to substract the time of objects he touches or himself, meaning that he can fire an infinite number of time with just one bullet in his gun.
    Timber (the Native girl) can alter her size and density.
    Stray... we don't really know, but her appearance change according to her emotions.

And Caden, so far, can see a glimpse of other people's lives when he touches them skin to skin.

Ghost Fist (the Harlem-born one) can gather some ghostly energy around him and use it to either strike at his enemies or teleport peoples away.
    Reload (missing in the last preview) is able to substract the time of objects he touches or himself, meaning that he can fire an infinite number of time with just one bullet in his gun.
    Stray... we don't really know, but her appearance change according to her emotions.

And Caden, so far, can see a glimpse of other people's lives when he touches them skin to skin.
    Huh, reminds me of Apache Chief.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Mighty Member

Thanks for this list I really didn't have the time to bother. This reads to me as Major Hoy said above a pastiche of Wildstorm and Image and does anybody remember The Ravagers from a few years ago? That was a better book that got no respect from this forum. Over all though I liked the pacing and somewhat convoluted background and will probably follow this for awhile. I find Grifter I mean Reload kind of ridiculous and Ghost Fist as well. I mean how many teams are going to have a teleporter on board to pull them out of danger all the time? Timber is just a steal from the lead in Ravagers as well.What the neck is Stray by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    . . . I find Grifter I mean Reload kind of ridiculous . . .
    And for some reason, Reload's abilities sort of remind me of another failed DC character:

Does anybody even remember him these days?