Default Should Power Girl's Powerset Be Bizarro-Style Flipped? Just For LOL's?

Just an odd, random thought I had while playing DCU Online.

I'm not talking about Bizarro-ifying Karen. No backwards talk and "Down, down, and Neeaaarrrrr!" stuff. Just the heat vision/cold breath swap. So instead of heat vision she's got ice vision. Instead of cold breath she's got fire breathing. And maybe fire breath would be her go-to move, unlike the other Supers who use the vision powers more than their lung capacity.

In part just because I love the visual of someone spitting huge fireballs. It's a fun image. Hell, it even parallels the circus influences in Superman. And in part because it'd be a interesting twist on Karen's status as a refugee from a dead universe. It speaks to how similar she is to her "cousins" while highlighting the fact that she's still different; even from Clark and Kara. She's even further removed from home.

Why would it happen? Who knows? It's comic books! Maybe this reality's sun affects her biology slightly differently, and it's only now finally starting to take effect. It does take a long time for Kryptonians to burn through a solar charge after all, and Karen had years of exposure to her reality's yellow sun built up. Or maybe Myx is a bastard and screws with her for kicks (sort of like what I'm proposing). Or maybe she gets exposed to a Bizarro virus and although she's cured, it leaves its mark on her in the shape of her changed powers. Who cares why it happens! Would it be a weird, fun twist that enhances the themes of the character, or is this just a dumb idea brought on by too much work, not enough relaxation, a little scotch, and bad decisions?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

While it's a neat idea, I think it'd be more appropriate to give that to Daxamites! Minor variations like that would be really fun.

If you're using her as an alternate-universe Kryptonian... it kinda works. Maybe that's just part of why the universe is different?

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    If you're using her as an alternate-universe Kryptonian... it kinda works. Maybe that's just part of why the universe is different?
    Definitely thinking of her "alternate reality Krypton" origin from post-Infinite Crisis. That's my preferred origin for Karen and, as far as I know, it's still the origin DC is using.

And yeah, it'd just be one little detail to highlight the differences and make Karen stand out a little bit more. Nothing major. Just a little nod that says "She doesn't quite belong here" in the same way that Bizarro's power flip says "This guy isn't quite right."

I do like the idea of Daxamites having that kind of "power flip" too, as Robanker mentioned.

Honestly, I'm just intrigued by the idea of power manifestations in different Kryptonians, what a Kryptonian metahuman would look like, etc. I mean, why would every Kryptonian develop the exact same powers on earth? Wouldn't small differences in their genetic coding mean that, just like with Marvel's mutants, there'd be room for variations? And we've seen Kryptonians with different powers; Kara used a solar flare type of power in the New52, Cir-El had red-sun blasts, Conner is telekinetic (and only half Kryptonian, but still), Jon is developing powers at a different rate than his father (again, only half Kryptonian but still)......and I forget, but weren't the Nightwing and Flamebird of New Krypton really just Kryptonian metahumans, instead of god-possessed Kryptonians?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.