Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Question about the replicators on Star Trek...

Where does the matter that the replicators use come from? Are people just basically eating their own poop?
    Assassinate Putin!

Copied directly from wikipedia

A replicator works by rearranging subatomic particles, which are abundant everywhere in the universe, to form molecules and arrange those molecules to form the object. For example, to create a pork chop, the replicator would first form atoms of carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, etc., then arrange them into amino acids, proteins, and cells, and assemble the particles into the form of a pork chop.
    Although this is listed under the "theory" category. An actual explanation has never been presented in canon.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Copied directly from wikipedia

Although this is listed under the "theory" category. An actual explanation has never been presented in canon.
    I thought they tied the replicators to the transporters in the episode with Moriarity?

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Where does the matter that the replicators use come from? Are people just basically eating their own poop?

Incredible Member

Food replicators use a basic protein (something like tofu) along with organic chemicals which combines and rearranges the matter into different foods and drinks (steak/baked potato/tea/milk shake) according to the program selected. Uneaten food is broken down and recycled back into the replicator reducing waste. There was a Voyager episode where Tom Paris and Neelix were sent down to a planet to gather organic materials to replenish the replicator stores on board and maybe another episode where the crew was gathering plants to be used in the replicators.

For other things (clothing, boots, equipment) I think there is a set amount of raw material on board to replicate the items and worn out/broken items are recycled back into the replicators to be remade.

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Innocent Bystander View Post
    I thought they tied the replicators to the transporters in the episode with Moriarity?
    they couldn't even beam him out of the holodeck so how would they even be able to transport a hologram without a mobile emitter?

Mighty Member

the prop master puts them inside.

but to tackle the question more seriously:

it's techno-magic. any possible explanation just high-lights how completely ridiculous and fantastic the concept is. and by "fantastic" I mean to say, "that's impossible, but it would be awfully handy!" it probably tastes like vending machine food. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Innocent Bystander View Post
    Yes, I understood that the replicator could create objects the same way a transporter could recreate a fully clothed and armed person in another location. The transporter basically scans a person,
    disassembles the person in the original locations and then reassembles them in the target location using the data from the scan. The person isn't actually transported. They are destroyed and then
    an exact duplicate is created somewhere else. The replicator has a library of programs of various food and objects and assembles the item in the same way except the item isn't destroyed first somewhere
    else.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Yes, I understood that the replicator could create objects the same way a transporter could recreate a fully clothed and armed person in another location. The transporter basically scans a person,
    disassembles the person in the original locations and then reassembles them in the target location using the data from the scan. The person isn't actually transported. They are destroyed and then
    an exact duplicate is created somewhere else. The replicator has a library of programs of various food and objects and assembles the item in the same way except the item isn't destroyed first somewhere
    else.
    So technically everyone's been dead since their first assignment!
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    Food replicators use a basic protein (something like tofu) along with organic chemicals which combines and rearranges the matter into different foods and drinks (steak/baked potato/tea/milk shake) according to the program selected. Uneaten food is broken down and recycled back into the replicator reducing waste. There was a Voyager episode where Tom Paris and Neelix were sent down to a planet to gather organic materials to replenish the replicator stores on board and maybe another episode where the crew was gathering plants to be used in the replicators.

For other things (clothing, boots, equipment) I think there is a set amount of raw material on board to replicate the items and worn out/broken items are recycled back into the replicators to be remade.
    Thank you! This has actually been very comprehensive and explanatory!
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    So technically everyone's been dead since their first assignment!
    At least they solved the problem of what happens if a fly gets into the transporter.

Retired

I'm old enough to have watched the original series when it first aired and over that time I've seen things that were fantastic at the time become reality. So food replicators don't seem so hard. I mean there are 3D printers now--I never thought that would happen. And there's lots of current science that is trying to replicate food--which we will need eventually if human beings are going to advance and explore space.

I also think that things like Star Trek set up an expectation in society and people work to make those things come into being. So we first need to imagine and then what we imagine becomes reality. But we should be careful what we imagine--we could end up in Westworld.

The one thing that I can't buy is transporters. I mean, I believe you can make one. It's the ultimate 3D printer--but I think the transporters on Star Trek kill the person and then remake him at another point in space. How many people would be willing to let themselves be murdered in order to hop across a gap in space? It seems a lot safer just to use a shuttle craft.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    the prop master puts them inside.

but to tackle the question more seriously:

it's techno-magic. any possible explanation just high-lights how completely ridiculous and fantastic the concept is. and by "fantastic" I mean to say, "that's impossible, but it would be awfully handy!" it probably tastes like vending machine food. ;-)
    Yes. I've never understood how people see Star Trek as some sort of intellectual thing.

Astonishing Member

Since the transporters have made two of a person, they create life? One problem was that if you actually transmitted a person as energy (subatomic components) you get a hell of an E=MC**2 at the arrival point. Remind they held folks in the buffers for a bit (that's dead?). Hate to be stuck in a USB drive.

How does Superman fly, BTW?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Since the transporters have made two of a person, they create life? One problem was that if you actually transmitted a person as energy (subatomic components) you get a hell of an E=MC**2 at the arrival point. Remind they held folks in the buffers for a bit (that's dead?). Hate to be stuck in a USB drive.

How does Superman fly, BTW?
    Super propellant farts! The episode where they met that other Riker that was created in a transporter accident kind of suggests that the transporters are like a copy machine that can duplicate life. So which one is the "real" Riker? Or are either of them? And what about Multiple Man from the X-Men? Does he just know which one is the "real" one and which one is a duplicate? What if one of the duplicates doesn't want to rebond with him?
    Assassinate Putin!