Page 14 of 36 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    The story wasn't that bad but Fitzmartin really needed to line up continuity cuz I thought the injury Drake was talking about was his gunshot wound from Batman 125. Should've started with that cuz it would've made the "Keeping Robin a secret from Bernard" plot better.

The art is horrid. No Tim Drake fan would accept this after the great artists that have worked on him. Not even Robin War was this bad. Sad times that Sonic the Hedgehog comic had better art than a Robin book.

5/10
    I thought is was, he has the scar on his neck from the injury.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    I thought is was, he has the scar on his neck from the injury.
    It was kinda confusing cuz Darcy was focusing on his broken nose.
    "Cable was right!"

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Honestly, I'm starting to suspect that Fitzmartin doesn't really care about Bernard as a character. She likes what Bernard represents to Tim and their "perfect relationship", but she doesn't seem interested in the character beyond this narrative.

I mean, people complaint about Stephanie's behavior in the Pride Special, but Bernard (as a character) was an afterthought.

Now, in the solo, it looks like Bernard's going to be cut off from the whole story until he's kidnapped, while Darcy is Tim's sidekick.

It's almost as if all she cares about is writing her slashfic to squee and coo at the adorable "gaybies". Notice how she says she "loves Bernard" but doesn't explain why in a manner that is actually true to how he was back then and doesn't even write him that way. She also keeps acting like they have some sort of deep bond in the past when they didn't as well. It's clear she's projecting her headcanons and what she wrote in her slashfic on why she "loves" Bernard.

I hope we get to see Tim handled better in the future.
    I’d love to see what Steve Orlando and Gail Simone would do with him now that he’s out.
    Just because the creative team is bad doesn’t mean the character can’t be done better. Every character gets a bad outing at some point.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    I hope we get to see Tim handled better in the future.
    I’d love to see what Steve Orlando and Gail Simone would do with him now that he’s out.
    Just because the creative team is bad doesn’t mean the character can’t be done better. Every character gets a bad outing at some point.

Did you read the issue? If so how did you find it?

Quote Originally Posted by NOCTPHOENIX View Post
    Did you read the issue? If so how did you find it?
    I’m in a rural area without a LCS so I trade wait. I prefer print over digital.
    I’ve read a bit that’s out there digitally.
    It’s hard to give a fair opinion on the writing when the art brings out such a strong negative reaction.
    I’m still going to get it to support Tim and hope the series continues. I know the artist is getting replaced in issue 4 I think.
    I am looking forward to hearing how others like it, and I hope it turns out to be better than I’m expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomSmartA55 View Post
    Oh good god she literally referred to Bernard as a "perfect damsel"....I THOUGHT WE WERE TRYING TO GET RID OF THAT TROPE
    So how long before KGBeast stuffs Bernard into a refridgerator?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Er, probably the "positive" things you've heard about Jon are from before he got aged up. Since he got aged up, he's been Clark-lite, but bisexual. His boyfriend is even a reporter. His main character trait since being aged up a few years back? His sexuality.

Look, I don't mind Jon Kent being bisexual. That's fine. Hell, if they had done it when he was still a kid, it would have been more impactful than being another generic late teen/young adult. Even LGBTQ+ people have expressed these sentiments. And on this site. But he's a nothing-burger in his own series. That's how much of a "character" he's been. Needless to say, there's a lot of pushing from "kid" Jon Kent fans to undo the age up. Why? 6-7 years of Jon Kent's life (and a lot more years in comic time) was thrown out the window for an age up nobody asked for.
    Sorry. Rant over. But the Jon Kent thing is a different issue all its own.
    They aged him up because they wanted to have a Trinity in their Future State storyline, they don't like Connor, and Jon was too young. It's stupid, but then it is DC, so....

I’m still going to get it to support Tim and hope the series continues. I know the artist is getting replaced in issue 4 I think.
    I'll give the book another look at issue 4 then. But unless they also decide to replace the writer, I don't have much hope for it.

No, my guess is the book will fail, DC Editorial will take this to mean that no one likes Tim Drake (because of course it's the character's fault, and now how he's written), and he'll be pushed aside and marginalized for a few more years until the current staff is fired and a new staff rotates in.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    No, my guess is the book will fail, DC Editorial will take this to mean that no one likes Tim Drake
    I can really just hope the the Editorial is not that incompetent.

I'm also wondering if they maybe chose that artist to appeal to an audience outside of their normal readership, since I can honestly not think of one main continuity Batfamily book, where the art was sofar off from the traditional Superhero comic style...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    It's a pretty problematic situation for Tim. Many decisions about Tim are likely result of Young Justice failing. We could blame Bendis aboit this, but there doesn't seem to have been enough interest to keep up the sales from the start.

In itself, a good writer and artist won't guarantee good sales. The current market for comics is pretty hard and Tim's popularity has decreased a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post

I'm also wondering if they maybe chose that artist to appeal to an audience outside of their normal readership, since I can honestly not think of one main continuity Batfamily book, where the art was sofar off from the traditional Superhero comic style...
    That's actually my guess. I mean, the book really fits several spots that appear in indie books. And this art isn't far from what you could find in a book aimed to young indie readers.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 09-28-2022 at 02:10 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    In itself, a good writer and artist won't guarantee good sales.
    Of course, but the art being stylistically that different from the usual makes this book really a hard sell.

Ultimate Member

Okay found a copy to read....

spoilers:

What was with the gayfather comment by the detective? Was he joking or does he know Tim/Robin is bisexual?
    end of spoilers

Aside from the art-the story did not bother me as much.

I guess because this would be the first Tim Drake solo story I have read since his last solo run.

Censorship Sucks

I miss Robin from the 90s. I loved that book.
    I don't care if he is bi. I don't care if his boyfriend is in it.
    but make them act like normal people. Bi people are just regular people.
    Every time these comic super heroes become gay, the writers write them like a horrible cliché.
    It's lame and silly.

I’m in a rural area without a LCS so I trade wait. I prefer print over digital.
    I’ve read a bit that’s out there digitally.
    It’s hard to give a fair opinion on the writing when the art brings out such a strong negative reaction.
    I am looking forward to hearing how others like it, and I hope it turns out to be better than I’m expecting.
    The art is awful but the story itself is okay.

Not as bad as some are making it out honestly. It just didn't feel like I was reading Tim but that could change as she finds her voice for the character.

The artistic choice of making the boys more feminine is baffling and adds to Tim coming across like a different character.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    So how long before KGBeast stuffs Bernard into a refridgerator?

They aged him up because they wanted to have a Trinity in their Future State storyline, they don't like Connor, and Jon was too young. It's stupid, but then it is DC, so....

I'll give the book another look at issue 4 then. But unless they also decide to replace the writer, I don't have much hope for it.

No, my guess is the book will fail, DC Editorial will take this to mean that no one likes Tim Drake (because of course it's the character's fault, and now how he's written), and he'll be pushed aside and marginalized for a few more years until the current staff is fired and a new staff rotates in.
    Tim will be fine. He has had rough patches before and DC has never marginalised or given up on the character. Plus The current staff grew up with him as their Robin so he's got fans behind the scenes.

The artist on this might be highly stylised but he;s one that DC has put on big names characters.
    Bernard needs development not death.