Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default DC is hiring YA authors.

DC Entertainment, the home of Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and a legion of other heroes, is planning two new graphic novel imprints aimed at younger readers. DC Zoom will feature stories for middle school readers, and DC Ink will focus on young adults. Books from the two divisions are scheduled to come out in the fall.
    I haven't read a YA novel in ages, but I think that's wonderful - I have always wanted to write YA books.

Gotta get them hooked early.

The DC Superhero Girls line seems to be doing relatively well and I know a few people who have daughters who love the DC Bombshells (I love the Bombshells myself!). So it’s a good idea to branch out and have something for everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post

The DC Superhero Girls line seems to be doing relatively well and I know a few people who have daughters who love the DC Bombshells (I love the Bombshells myself!). So it’s a good idea to branch out and have something for everybody.
    They also had moderate success with Gotham Academy.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post

I think more importantly is the fact that to survive, comics need new readers, and traditionally that has been children. However, for the past decade, comics haven't really reached out to kids, and I think that's a problem for the longevity of the current system.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I think more importantly is the fact that to survive, comics need new readers, and traditionally that has been children. However, for the past decade, comics haven't really reached out to kids, and I think that's a problem for the longevity of the current system.
    That’s true.

But if these new comics are pitched at same audience as YA novels (late teens/ early 20’s) is that the “issue” they will really address? Isn’t it more about providing a “bridge” to keep kids already reading comics to DC’s adult line?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    They also had moderate success with Gotham Academy.
    I like Gotham Academy, I think DC Comics should add a YA imprint into the mainstream DC Universe, like 'Young Animal' is a mature-imprint setting in the DC Universe.

Astonishing Member

Hmmm. Whatever happened to the Dustin Nguyen artwork kids books?

I remember reading one and I think a second came out. Featured Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman as little kids.

Oh there we go. Secret Hero Society. Seems it's still coming out too, that's great. And seems like it's as least 3 books long so far.

But yeah. Pushes for kids to get into the characters is always good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    Hmmm. Whatever happened to the Dustin Nguyen artwork kids books?

I remember reading one and I think a second came out. Featured Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman as little kids.

Oh there we go. Secret Hero Society. Seems it's still coming out too, that's great. And seems like it's as least 3 books long so far.

But yeah. Pushes for kids to get into the characters is always good to me.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see that get re-branded for DC Zoom like they're doing with the DC Super Hero Girls graphic novels.

What makes it this line YA? Is it soapier? Most DC are already written at a very low reading level.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Invincible Member

Interesting. Let's see how long it takes before someone is either burning their books Youtube or claiming that DC has gone full "SWJ" and is ruining comics.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Interesting. Let's see how long it takes before someone is either burning their books Youtube or claiming that DC has gone full "SWJ" and is ruining comics.
    You don't know the horror of a company publishing a book I might not want to buy. Although, you know, that's really not a bad thing. Guess i better bring this camera equipment back to the store. Where's my receipt? And remind me to cancel that youtube account!

Quote Originally Posted by NightwingIvI View Post
    What makes it this line YA? Is it soapier? Most DC are already written at a very low reading level.
    From one of the Newsarama articles:

“They are character studies, not necessarily superhero stories.”

So, yes, it appears to be a bit more soapy. More focused on characters, personalities and life issues and less on the 'pow, bam, boff'.
    And with them being books geared for younger readers, there (hopefully) won't be a surprise graphic decapitation/impaling or an excessive use of foul language.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

From the look of things, it looks like they're borrowing heavily from the Manga format. That's a very good idea. Teenagers, and especially teenage girls, are eating Manga up at a ridiculous rate. Clearly they're doing SOMETHING right to appeal to kids.

Stack this up with the success of DCSHG, and DC might just pull ahead in the race to gain a new audience.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    What's SWJ, may I ask?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Green Lantern wannabe View Post
    What's SWJ, may I ask?
    Social Justice Warrior. It's either a derogatory term for people who advocate for more representation for minorities and women in society, or a badge of honor, depending upon who you ask.