Page 40 of 128 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    I hope this X-Men revival isn't giving anyone any ideas to revive DCAU...
    I bet Teen Titans gets that season 6 in a few years now

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Even Cree Summer, a veteran and deservedly popular voice actress, was kind of phoning it in as Hippolyta and Medusa,

Cyber's VA was the only one that was not only good, but pitch perfect and I want to hear way more of her.

Voice direction in general for the DC movies has gone way downhill outside of maybe TLH.
    I believe Andrea Romano retired

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I didn't really care for Dawson either as Diana either, she fit Artemis a bit better but I've also said she's not really the voice I've read for her either.
    Dawson's Diana grew on me but she probably would be a good Artemis.
    Though tbh I was pretty unimpressed with just about every VA in that previous continuity of movies, Batman's VA always felt pretty wooden and Hal's in JL: War was just...the worst.
    Well, no surprise they recast Hal with Nathan Fillion .
    Even Cree Summer, a veteran and deservedly popular voice actress, was kind of phoning it in as Hippolyta and Medusa,

Cyber's VA was the only one that was not only good, but pitch perfect and I want to hear way more of her.

Voice direction in general for the DC movies has gone way downhill outside of maybe TLH.
    I thought Cree's Hippolyta was solid but I think what was working against her was being a stern, commanding, Hippolyta for 90% of the movie. She's great in DCSHG in my opinion.

I know Andrea Romano casts a long shadow but I feel like there have still been plenty of good voicework in DC Animated films, or at least ones where I was pretty satisfied with the casting/performances but sometimes that can be a subjective thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Dawson's Diana grew on me but she probably would be a good Artemis.

Well, no surprise they recast Hal with Nathan Fillion .
    I always hear Kelly Hu (Cheshire) for Artemis.

Fillion's a good Hal, not denying that, but I've been spoiled by Keaton.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    What was wrong with Diana in the 2009 movie? She's pretty much what you should expect of a Wonder Woman take that is considered good.
    I can't answer that question as I barely remember the 2009 Diana. However, I do like the Bloodlines Diana better because she is obviously heavily influenced by the DCEU Wonder Woman. It's easier for me to remember her characterization, and I also love her and Steve's humor with each other. I also thought they balanced her kindness with her boldness shockingly well. I loved when she told Steve, "I thought you liked a little drama."

Since we're talking about Bloodlines, I thought this video would be interesting to some of you. I don't think she's a big comic book fan, so it's interesting seeing her responses to the movie.

Diana was fine in Bloodlines, but she was basically Superman's girlfriend and a total jobber in the previous movies. Also unnecessarily violent in JL:War. 2009 Diana doesn't have that baggage.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    I bet Teen Titans gets that season 6 in a few years now
    If they finally put Donna on the team I'm all for it!

Diana was fine in Bloodlines, but she was basically Superman's girlfriend and a total jobber in the previous movies. Also unnecessarily violent in JL:War. 2009 Diana doesn't have that baggage.
    Probably my least favorite WW scene ever is when she's slicing up a bunch of Atlantean soldiers in Thrones of Atlantis that were just being manipulated.

Although I thought she was fine post-breakup in Death/Reign. Especially when she lost the ponytail and she probably had the best showing against Doomsday of the entire League save for Superman himself.

Her jobber reverted in Apokolips War.

Actually, that's my biggest complaint about the previous continuity. After JL: War, if a character wasn't referenced in the title, that character was going to be ineffectual in the movie. The JL members were largely just there to fail so the main character(s) could save the day.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post

Actually, that's my biggest complaint about the previous continuity. After JL: War, if a character wasn't referenced in the title, that character was going to be ineffectual in the movie. The JL members were largely just there to fail so the main character(s) could save the day.
    Is that not how it works in the comics though? In an event if you’re not one of the mains (usually the Trinity), you’re either jobbing or doing work on the sidelines.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

We can, but Superman has had many more adaptations than her and there is no single one that his fanbase agrees is definitive. So Wonder Woman ever get one either, we just need more adaptations in general.

Even BTAS isn't considered definitive by the Batman fanbase across the entire board, even though it of course comes really damn close and is probably the closest example.

Worse yet, it positions her as being too uptight if not outright wrong about her stance on gender and she needs to "relax" and listen to the dude who tried to get her drunk.

Fam, this movie is bad.

My ideal Wonder Woman mythos is a combo of Marston and Perez/Rucka. I think Jimenez is the only post-Crisis writer who was able to get close to doing that because of his clear affection for both eras.
    The film doesn't portray her as in the wrong for being mad at Steve for trying to get her drunk. It does pull the "not all men" mistake but Steve trying to take advantage of Diana is never depicted as a good thing to be excused.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Is that not how it works in the comics though? In an event if you’re not one of the mains (usually the Trinity), you’re either jobbing or doing work on the sidelines.
    Well, I think the issue is that some of those movies come under the Justice League brand. So it feels like the JL are just there for marketing purposes and makes the movie extra disappointing. Usually, I feel like it's the guests who kind of job for the titular heroes, but the JL kind of felt like guests in what were supposed to be their movies.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post

I think even Luthor made fun of how often the League was useless in the movies at some point.

Although in Apokolips War, didn't Diana help subdue the rest of Darkseid's JL-Furies when she was freed of the reprogramming?
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The film doesn't portray her as in the wrong for being mad at Steve for trying to get her drunk. It does pull the "not all men" mistake but Steve trying to take advantage of Diana is never depicted as a good thing to be excused.
    I think the issue is how it ends up depicting Steve when he's meant to be her love interest and the guy she gives her heart too/stays on Man's World for.

It's sad that we have to scrape those animated movies for decent moments.

"Oh, wow...Wonder Woman lasted slightly longer against Doomsday than the other jobbers in the League. What a hero."

"Yay, Diana--mutilated, turned into a cyborg slave, only rescued by Constantine using her own Lasso on her--freed other enslaved heroes...off screen and contributed nothing else of value. At least it was a moral victory."

These movies really were awful with the jobbing (except Batman, because god forbid Poochie looks bad). And it was blatantly transparent they were only shoe-horned into these things for marketing purposes.
    The worst, in my opinion, was the first Justice League Dark. Can't just have a magical threat appear, so Zatanna, Constantine and other magic-based heroes unite to face it. No, we must first dedicate a portion of the movie establishing Superman, Wonder Woman and the regular League is utterly useless so the magic heroes can gather with Batman's personal seal of approval.

By the way, it's funny that people complain Superman is too powerful and never has enough challenges, but whenever he does encounter an opponent that can hand him his ass, it's not about how he faces and overcomes this foe. It's about sending him packing with his cape tucked between his legs so other heroes can save the day.
    I guarantee if James Gunns's Suicide Squad was animated or a comic story, there would absolutely have been a seen where Superman and Wonder Woman come to fight Starro...only to immediately get crushed so the Squad can stop him.

Even Bloodlines ends with Diana getting destroyed by Medusa and only surviving because Silver Swan saves her. I know it's earned better because it's about Diana's compassion turning Vanessa good again and all that, but I won't lie, watching it I did think to myself: "Cripes, Wonder Woman gets her ass kicked even in her own movie."

Even though I would've like to see Diana get a sequel, I'm rather glad that animated 'verse is dead. It's so appropriate it ended with the heroes, having failed miserably, meekly accepting Flash erasing them from existence. Like the losers that they are.

Good riddance.
    Last edited by Guy_McNichts; 11-15-2021 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    It's sad that we have to scrape those animated movies for decent moments.

"Oh, wow...Wonder Woman lasted slightly longer against Doomsday than the other jobbers in the League. What a hero."

"Yay, Diana--mutilated, turned into a cyborg slave, only rescued by Constantine using her own Lasso on her--freed other enslaved heroes...off screen and contributed nothing else of value. At least it was a moral victory."

These movies really were awful with the jobbing (except Batman, because god forbid Poochie looks bad). And it was blatantly transparent they were only shoe-horned into these things for marketing purposes.
    The worst, in my opinion, was the first Justice League Dark. Can't just have a magical threat appear, so Zatanna, Constantine and other magic-based heroes unite to face it. No, we must first dedicate a portion of the movie establishing Superman, Wonder Woman and the regular League is utterly useless so the magic heroes can gather with Batman's personal seal of approval.

By the way, it's funny that people complain Superman is too powerful and never has enough challenges, but whenever he does encounter an opponent that can hand him his ass, it's not about how he faces and overcomes this foe. It's about sending him packing with his cape tucked between his legs so other heroes can save the day.
    I guarantee if James Gunns's Suicide Squad was animated or a comic story, there would absolutely have been a seen where Superman and Wonder Woman come to fight Starro...only to immediately get crushed so the Squad can stop him.

Even Bloodlines ends with Diana getting destroyed by Medusa and only surviving because Silver Swan saves her. I know it's earned better because it's about Diana's compassion turning Vanessa good again and all that, but I won't lie, watching it I did think to myself: "Cripes, Wonder Woman gets her ass kicked even in her own movie."

Even though I would've like to see Diana get a sequel, I'm rather glad that animated 'verse is dead. It's so appropriate it ended with the heroes, having failed miserably, meekly accepting Flash erasing them from existence. Like the losers that they are.

Good riddance.
    I mean, I don't view it as a scraps because the actual, on-screen, fights were good and showed her off well in my opinion, but that's just me. Batman didn't do anything to Doomsday at all.

The League in JLD was mostly just set-up before we get to the magical heroes, but them getting taken out at the end was kind of a bit much.

In Bloodlines Diana takes out pretty much all her villains that she actually fights and is ultimately the one to slay Medusa.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    In Bloodlines Diana takes out pretty much all her villains that she actually fights and is ultimately the one to slay Medusa.
    And in the next movie Cheetah is easily killed by ordinary bullets, so her villains aren't worth much in this universe