Page 46 of 118 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dzetoun View Post
    Yeah, it was kinda okay I guess. Too much up in the air, like you say. And it was undercut badly by trotting through tired themes that have been driven so far into the ground they must be approaching China by now. Again with Batman and the Joker? Really? As soon as they started in on that I knew the episode was in trouble.

Not to mention that it also undercut some of the emotional heft in Dick’s backstory. If we go by what he said (granted it was an illusory world, so maybe we shouldn’t) Bruce isn’t a killer but is just cold and brutal? Well, so is Dick (who is a killer besides), so where does he get off being so d***ed pissy about Bruce?

Oh, and in the process he fully informed Trigon of Bruce’s identity and defenses. Which would make an interesting thread to follow up, should they decide to go in that direction.
    Dick is cold and brutal because Bruce raised him that way.

It seems to me this series suffers most from people bringing in all kinds of different expectations. Not that it doesn't have its flaws, but there seems to be these two distinct themes of the criticisms I'm seeing here - the pace and then just not living up to what people imagine this is supposed to be or how their expectations have been created by the comics. (which of course is nothing new for these adaptations)

Well, that's really neither here nor there. I was never a huge fan of the Titans so I don't have the same expectations. That said, I'm okay with the pacing as well. The show seems to really try balancing characterization (of which Dick is certainly getting the most, but that makes sense), throwing in DC lore and building the universe, and then just moving the main Raven/Trigon plot along. It wouldn't surprise me if each season's main plot will focus on a different character which is why they're slower to delve into the others. I appreciated this last episode for the dive into Dick's mind for what it was - it wasn't "real", but this season has mostly been about Dick's struggle with his identity and the choices he wants to make with his life so it fit perfectly with that, imo. If anything it's more meaningful because every aspect of what happened was a reflection of Dick's worldview, his fears and his desires. If it weren't for Kory would Dick still have chosen to end Bruce that way? Pretty harsh either way and kinda makes Dick a hypocrite since he broke a lot more easily than Batman did, imo.

Personally, I think they should have cast Kevin Conroy as the live-action Bruce Wayne. It wouldn't be the same kind of physically demanding job that would be required of a movie Batman and he would've been closer to the right age since this was a flash-forward. Maybe they're waiting to see if they can ever have one in the present day or something before casting any live-action version, but that would have worked for me.

And the post-credits scene was very unexpected. Have they already cast the real actor, because if they haven't they might be painting themselves into a corner with finding someone with that physique. The bloodshed isn't a surprise for this series at this point, but for the characters it's excusable because it seems he just woke up or might not be in his right mind yet. Interesting that he went straight for the dog though.

IGN has an interview with the show runner here:

https://m.ign.com/articles/2018/12/2...an-cliffhanger

It sounds like they are still wrestling with some pretty big things, including the specifics of Dick’s relationship with Bruce and what Bruce taught him. Note Walker refers to episode 11 as a “dream,” which is probably mostly semantics but may imply that they don’t want to tie themselves to anything. (I assume mostly the dream was generated from Dick’s mind, with the ripple effect indicating points where Trigon interfered). Superboy’s role is still undefined, and Batgirl is totally off the table for now.

What was going to be episode 12 is now episode 1 of Season 2. I think Den of Geek had a good point in their review where they said that the pacing feels more like a regular 22 episode season than a short 11 episode season. In that sense, this was more like a mid-season cliffhanger than a season finale. Unfortunately, it doesn’t sound like we are getting to Nightwing anytime soon.

Oh, there’s also a couple of interesting videos linked on the page, including a set of clips where the Titans cast talks about killing in the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Where was a hanging brain was depicted in the Superboy scene?
    Euphemism for being buck naked.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

As someone has already said, this did not feel like a season finale. So Dick give in to his dark side, that's it, that's all that happened in this episode. There's ending on a cliffhanger, and then there's literally not giving the audience full story. This was the latter.

Dick Grayson is a complete mess of a character.

A season finale of a show called 'Titans' should not focus only on a single character. I've already suffered through 18 years of "X-Men" movies. Too much focus on Dick. Sorry, but the show is called Titans, it should be about the Titans. Four main characters should not be that hard to juggle.

You know something is wrong when the best episodes of your show are when it doesn't focus of the main characters.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    As someone has already said, this did not feel like a season finale. So Dick give in to his dark side, that's it, that's all that happened in this episode. There's ending on a cliffhanger, and then there's literally not giving the audience full story. This was the latter.

Dick Grayson is a complete mess of a character.

A season finale of a show called 'Titans' should not focus only on a single character. I've already suffered through 18 years of "X-Men" movies. Too much focus on Dick. Sorry, but the show is called Titans, it should be about the Titans. Four main characters should not be that hard to juggle.

You know something is wrong when the best episodes of your show are when it doesn't focus of the main characters.
    And it wasn't. Not only did they give some spotlight to Kory, Gar and Rachel throughout the show, they did the same to some guest stars as well. The finale might have focused on Dick but it isn't like he was the only character that got some form of development.

Well wasn't the real finale now being held over till Season 2? I mean we had shots of Starfire and Raven that never appeared on the show.

Also I really get the vibes they're trying for Beast Boy and Raven after the Skype call to Dream Dick and honestly given their real age differences I find it creepy. I'm sorry don't cast a 14 year old and 23 year old if you want to pair them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Well wasn't the real finale now being held over till Season 2? I mean we had shots of Starfire and Raven that never appeared on the show.

Also I really get the vibes they're trying for Beast Boy and Raven after the Skype call to Dream Dick and honestly given their real age differences I find it creepy. I'm sorry don't cast a 14 year old and 23 year old if you want to pair them up.
    Yeah. There is a good reason why they don't usually cast actual teenagers for teenage characters. Besides, most actors of that age are terrible.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I gotta say, I’m glad they didn’t try to resolve the Trigon thing in only 2-3 episodes. Would’ve been underwhelming.

Given the whole theme of this season that Bruce was going to far in the name of justice and it drove Dick away the finale would had been more impactful if they kept the fact Dick was in Triton's illusion until he turned at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    And it wasn't. Not only did they give some spotlight to Kory, Gar and Rachel throughout the show, they did the same to some guest stars as well. The finale might have focused on Dick but it isn't like he was the only character that got some form of development.
    I think Garfield definitely got the short end of the stick. He’s was kinda just along for the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    I gotta say, I’m glad they didn’t try to resolve the Trigon thing in only 2-3 episodes. Would’ve been underwhelming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Given the whole theme of this season that Bruce was going to far in the name of justice and it drove Dick away the finale would had been more impactful if they kept the fact Dick was in Triton's illusion until he turned at the end.
    I'm trying to cut the path they took some slack because(in addition to agreeing with Arsenal mentioned) they were probably in a spot where there was no telling if they would wind up with a second season.

They most likely had to use a "Plan For An Interesting Lead In To A Potential Second Season" approach.

Incredible Member

I finally caught the last episode, and I don't care about all the haters. This show is amazing. Everyone who can't get into it is just harder to please in life, sucks to be you. I like the Dick grayson character immensely.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

The show launched on Netflix in Canada today. I've only watched one episode so far but I'm surprised by how much I liked it. The violence feels a little over the top, and the swearing is unnecessary but by the end of the episode I felt that it won me over for the most part. I became invested in the story, the direction was solid, and the soundtrack is awesome. I'll probably pace myself through the show, but as someone who thought the trailer was god-awful the show itself made a very good first impression.

My only beef is that I'm concerned my Eight year old niece may watch it by accident. She loves Teen Titans Go! and I even gave her a bunch of Titans comics for Christmas, as liberal as her parents are in regards to what she watches I don't think she'd ready for this. It doesn't help that both shows were next together on the Netflix app when I watched it earlier. I would hate for her to be be afraid of her favourite superheroes.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

I finally got to see it now that it premiered on Netflix today. I was wide awake and excited when I sat down for the first episode and I'm wide awake now. I dozed off 3 times while watching it though. It failed to engage me on any level. I did not like a single character, I did not like a single development and I did not like a single scene. (Moving on from "did not like" to "I absolutely detested".) I absolutely detested how most of the episode played out in darkness. I absolutely detested how lifeless its world seemed. There was hardly ever anyone in frame that didn't matter to the scene. Did they fail to sign a contract with an agency that provides extras?

Does it get better?
    Live true or lie well.