View Poll Results: Are you excited about Hickman's bold, new direction for the X-Men books?

Voters
184. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

147 79.89%
  • No.

30 16.30%
  • I don't like or know anything about comics.

7 3.80%
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    To be completely serious for a moment, it's actually more like "Can Claremont write as well as Hickman?"
    You’re joking.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Like I said, this has nothing whatsoever to do with him. Even if he is a maniac, which seems highly unlikely and not verifiable here. He isn’t an editor, he is very unlikely to care one bit what the writers do on X-Men books. He was probably on the MCU committee to make suggestions about what is or isn’t marketable as merchandise or licensing deals because he knows Marvel toys and brand value more than he knows story writing.
    Pretty sure the Inhumans push that nearly took down the X Men was his idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    It did no such thing. If anything, that whole debacle turned a good chunk of potential readers off from the Inhumans.

BANNED

AvX was all his. He gutted a years-long plot that had been carefully built up so that Iron Man could fire a laser at a cosmic entity and Captain Fascist could Phoenixplain to the X-Men.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    He has nothing to do with the X-Books.
    I could be wrong, but I thought being the Executive Editor and Senior VP of Publishing meant he had his hands in everything, to a certain degree. At any rate, there are others who have mentioned things he's enacted or approved that have directly hurt the X-Books.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    AvX was all his. He gutted a years-long plot that had been carefully built up so that Iron Man could fire a laser at a cosmic entity and Captain Fascist could Phoenixplain to the X-Men.
    Yeah, this was what turned people against him..And i'm pretty sure the reason Marvel still insista on the whole "Cyclops was wrong/evil" stuff is because he's still around

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    I am positive it wasn’t. That has corporate directive all over it. Brevoort is not corporate. He wasn’t even the EiC and that isn’t corporate either. Decisions like that were made much higher at Marvel board level.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Robards, Comic Fan View Post
    I could be wrong, but I thought being the Executive Editor and Senior VP of Publishing meant he had his hands in everything, to a certain degree. At any rate, there are others who have mentioned things he's enacted or approved that have directly hurt the X-Books.
    Purely because he is a name people recognise. It is stupid anyway he is the biggest fan and geek in the Marvel offices. He’s the one they turn to when they are discussing ideas and he will just rattle off the issue number it happened in previously. He is the guy who got a tear in his eye when he was told Marvel could use the Champions title again. It is like fans attacking a fan because they happen to work for editorial. We couldn’t hope for a more representative voice in the Marvel retreats.

He would beat everyone here in a Marvel Trivia contest.

His title effectively means he is like a deputy EiC. The EiC can’t possibly look after every book so one of the senior editors helps out with the larger picture while also responsible for senior editing on some lines. It’s a seniority title not a responsibility title. If anything he is more the public facing editor when the EiC is more focused on keeping the board happy and keeping the talent happy.

If his name is in the book credits he had some form of input. If not he neither gave significant notes nor signed it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Some of us think AvX was the beginning of the purple patch for Marvel. It effectively took us into Marvel Now and created the best Cyclops we had for decades (my favourite character in comics so not just saying that as a casual reader). YMWV, but for everyone who knocks AvX on message boards there are literally hundreds that bought it and enjoyed it.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 05-16-2019 at 08:53 AM.

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Regardless of which editor/writer/exec came up with which specific idea that really rubbed X-Men fans the wrong way, Brevoort and Bendis actively ridiculed X-Men fans for pointing out how the X-Men IP was clearly being marginalized by Marvel because they didn't make maximum profit from X-Men stuff. Even if you were prefacing it with something like, "I get as a business they want to utilize things they make maximum profit from," you were wrong, and/or still a crazy X-Men fan - you "have a complex." (Hence, the "CompleX.")

If you recall Hickman making jokey remarks making fun of X-Men fans on Twitter, it was because he was mocking Brevoort, Bendis, and co.'s approach.

Anyway, that's the main/actual reason why X-Men fans have a bone to pick with Brevoort.
    Last edited by Filthy Mutie; 05-16-2019 at 11:02 AM. Reason: I can't type.

BANNED

Sorry if this has already been discussed but who are the 2 women between Nightcrawler and Archangel on the House of X #3 cover? Is that M and Kitty?

I wonder if that is Hickman's core team...

Quote Originally Posted by Ying Ko View Post
    Sorry if this has already been discussed but who are the 2 women between Nightcrawler and Archangel on the House of X #3 cover? Is that M and Kitty?

I wonder if that is Hickman's core team...
    One is M, the other we've been speculating that is Husk.

Doesn't seem to be a core team, since Magik is fighting side by side with Nightcrawler on POX #3.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    One is M, the other we've been speculating that is Husk.

Doesn't seem to be a core team, since Magik is fighting side by side with Nightcrawler on POX #3.
    I didn't really pay much attention at first because I was so glad to see Monet. lol But really looking at her, she looks like Hope. I would prefer Husk though.

This as a core team would be interesting, but I have doubts it's a standard team book. It'll probably rotate a bit. I am curious how much story we're gonna get in just 2 minis, and how it's gonna all come together like Hickman said.

Quote Originally Posted by Indigo_Lady View Post
    It might be great, and it might not. From what I've seen Hickman tends to center on caucasian men and the women are secondary. Case in point - Previews show men in new or modified costume designs but Jean is thrown back to that awful mini skirt costume (Not a favorite look judging by a number of comments)

Why am I worried that things might change so much that I'm not going to like the X-Men anymore, just like they changed after House of M and I lost interest for several years. I'll reserve judgement until after the upcoming mini.
    His entire run of FF and Avengers prominently featured Black Panther. Not to mention the part Valyria played in the entire FF run. I cant wait for Hickman to take over.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Mutie View Post
    Regardless of which editor/writer/exec came up with which specific idea that really rubbed X-Men fans the wrong way, Brevoort and Bendis actively ridiculed X-Men fans for pointing out how the X-Men IP was clearly being marginalized by Marvel because they didn't make maximum profit from X-Men stuff. Even if you were prefacing it with something like, "I get as a business they want to utilize things they make maximum profit from," you were wrong, and/or still a crazy X-Men fan - you "have a complex." (Hence, the "CompleX.")

If you recall Hickman making jokey remarks making fun of X-Men fans on Twitter, it was because he was mocking Brevoort, Bendis, and co.'s approach.

Anyway, that's the main/actual reason why X-Men fans have a bone to pick with Brevoort.
    I also remember Tom Brevoort being the only one to come out and say: if you had 2 properties, and for one of them you get 100% of the revenue and for the other you only get a small percentage, which one would you focus your resources on? Which is how the real world works and how businesses think. Fans might not have appreciated the candor, but I challenge anyone to disagree with the logic.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    There are at least two aspects to this situation.

On the one hand, Brevoort was right about the logic of where a company should devote the bulk of its resources. It would make no sense to devote a majority of resources to something that is going to give less of a return compared to something that you can get more of a return on.

On the other hand, Marvel wasn't getting nothing out of it. They still made money off film hype. The money Marvel would've made from taking advantage of that film hype undoubtedly would've been way more than Fox would've received from Marvel. Marvel didn't take the approach of "Let's exploit interest in the films to make money off them but then do little or nothing else." They did things with the X-Men that had nothing to do with the films, and bent over backwards to act like the films weren't even happening - to a point where they even had Pietro off the All-New X-Factor covers while DoFP was in theaters. That's not sound business logic talking. That's their egos.

Further adding to why people held Brevoort's remarks against him: underlying intent. He wasn't an X-Men fan laying out truth bombs and trying to get people to understand a rough situation for something he loved. He's an editor for the Avengers books. He used his position to take things away from the X-Men franchise, force his negative views of various characters and concepts into the comics, and then made excuses for why those actions were good actually. The impetus behind the things he said was opportunism and mockery, not transparency. People picked up on that and reacted exactly how they would be expected to.

Truth is, he's not alone at Marvel with the attitude, either. He's just the most obvious, and the one that draws the broadest range of backlash among X-Men fans.
    All this. It wasn't like Marvel was "OK, we'll make Avengers our priority, and the X-men will be on their own little corner" or something in the sense. They actively acted out to harm the X-men for petty reasons, both with the Avengers and the Inhumans.

I said already at the time and it's even more clear in hindsight that it was no coincidence AvX happened around the time Uncanny with the Extinction team was the best selling regular title at Marvel, selling more than the Avengers books in the end of Bendis run despite much less promotion than it and also WatXM, and the event was essentially designed to destroy the team, it's most popular members and their relationships with one another, with essentially zero imput from the X-office at the time or even the writer of the title they appeared.

House of B and Powers of Tom
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate