View Poll Results: Have you worked on a media project before?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (Professionally)

5 50.00%
  • Yes (Recreationally)

4 40.00%
  • No

3 30.00%
  • Other (explain!)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Default Have you ever worked on a Film/TV Series?

I can't recall seeing if such a thread already exists, but I'm curious. Have you ever made a direct creative or technical contribution to a film or tv show? What was the nature of the project, and your role? Are they projects you're proud of or something you just did for the paycheque/experience? What about videogames or alternative media? Do you wish to share the projects if possible?

Since I'm starting the thread, I'll go first. I'm a professional 3D artist (primarily as a Rigger, but I can model/texture in a pinch) whose worked on several animated television series, a few independent short films, and was briefly part-owner of a small game development company. I've also been in several short films, and music videos as a background actor but those were mostly as favours for friends. I don't have any actual talent or passion for acting.

I'm generally proud of my professional studio work. Most of the series I've worked on have been aimed at pre-schoolers in Non-American markets, which some people aren't fond of working on but I have a blast with. Many of the games I've worked on have never reached market, but I'm proud of several of our prototypes and our few titles that did go up for sale did alright considering our business inexperience. My work as a background actor is largely unremarkable, and as a space filler. The one music video I starred in is probably the one thing I've worked on that I will never share, it was terrible in all regards.

But yeah, if you've ever worked on a media project feel feel to talk about some of your experiences. We all know NDAs can be a pain so you can be as specific or vague as you please. It's just fun to know what the community has been up to.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

I was a volunteer PA for a couple months. I worked 2 webseries, 2 unaired tv pilots, 1 music video, a short film and a soap opera series to air on the Amazon.

I enjoyed it but fell off due to personal problems.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I was a volunteer PA for a couple months. I worked 2 webseries, 2 unaired tv pilots, 1 music video, a short film and a soap opera series to air on the Amazon.

I enjoyed it but fell off due to personal problems.
    I can imagine. It's a great way to meet people in the industry, and to learn about the various roles a production requires from an associated but detached position. It is however a lot of work, Production Assistants are among the hardest working people I've ever met on a set.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Full time actor; been professional for over ten years now (luckily my skill is acting, not looks, so I'm not stressed about fading beauty, ha). Mostly stage, done a little TV and a few LB features. Always happy to connect with others. Sadly lost quite a bit of work due to isolation lockdown, but the whole industry is in the same boat, so can't throw too much of a pity party.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-16-2020 at 01:06 PM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

That's true, the lockdown is hitting everybody in live-action pretty hard. Animation isn't entirely unaffected, but for the most part the job can be done from home with the proper set up. Even at reduced efficiency most studios in Canada are still producing on schedule.

I almost had a part once, but it all came down to fitting in the clothing!

They wanted a 34' jacket and 34" waist; I had a 30 inch waist and wore a 38" jacket.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I've backed some kickstarters... that qualifies me as a micro-producer, right? The Veronica Mars movie and MST3K Netflix revival never would have happened without me and a few thousand other people.

Otherwise no.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    That's true, the lockdown is hitting everybody in live-action pretty hard. Animation isn't entirely unaffected, but for the most part the job can be done from home with the proper set up. Even at reduced efficiency most studios in Canada are still producing on schedule.
    As long as Hilda isn't delayed, I'll be happy. That is very true that animation should still be workable, if slightly slower pace. I assume the same for CGI. The feature I was half way through filming was very CGI heavy, so I assume they are doing a lot of that currently, so the release can still be on schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I've backed some kickstarters... that qualifies me as a micro-producer, right? The Veronica Mars movie and MST3K Netflix revival never would have happened without me and a few thousand other people.
    Support like that, no matter how minor it feels, is the life blood for so many LB productions. So on behalf of the industry and those features, thankyou for your support.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-16-2020 at 01:57 PM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    As long as Hilda isn't delayed, I'll be happy. That is very true that animation should still be workable, if slightly slower pace. I assume the same for CGI. The feature I was half way through filming was very CGI heavy, so I assume they are doing a lot of that currently, so the release can still be on schedule.
    They'll do as much as they can with what's already been filmed at least. A lot of shows/movies that were still being filmed are going to have a rough time of it, but if they have most of the live-action footage required for the CGI/VFX shots it's very possible they can release on schedule. If they're not going to delay it for a more stable market regardless, that is.

They'll do as much as they can with what's already been filmed at least. A lot of shows/movies that were still being filmed are going to have a rough time of it, but if they have most of the live-action footage required for the CGI/VFX shots it's very possible they can release on schedule. If they're not going to delay it for a more stable market regardless, that is.
    The plan was 2021, BUT we'll see. It all depends when we can film the other half, and how long the CGI takes to add on after. We'll see. Oh well, I'm lucky, I have several film projects ready to go once this isolation lockdown is lifted. The bigger is issue is theatre. I doubt my Christmas tour will happen, and a large chunk of my regular income is touring plays. So, let's see; much just start having to make film the priority with work.

That's rough. As much as live-action film, and TV is hurting at least they can generally be viewed from home if not initially. Stage is hurting all over, and it's going to be a while until we see what can be salvaged.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

As long as Hilda isn't delayed, I'll be happy.
    I think all the kids who watched that have grown up by now.

I hope I live to see the next season.

That's rough. As much as live-action film, and TV is hurting at least they can generally be viewed from home if not initially. Stage is hurting all over, and it's going to be a while until we see what can be salvaged.
    I just don't understand why they are talking about opening football games in the UK but theatre is not set to do anything till 2021 (if that)???

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I think all the kids who watched that have grown up by now.
    I hope I live to see the next season.

I just don't understand why they are talking about opening football games in the UK but theatre is not set to do anything till 2021 (if that)???
    It's always about the money, but opening sporting/entertainment venues at the moment is just foolish. Without some unrealistically fantastic medical news, we're going to have to be at this for at least the better part of a year.

It's always about the money, but opening sporting/entertainment venues at the moment is just foolish. Without some unrealistically fantastic medical news, we're going to have to be at this for at least the better part of a year.
    Agreed on all counts. Money talks, and the government is probably more interested in helping getting football back on track than theatre (since theatre is very anti-Conservatives; where as the bread-and-butter of football is the working class who are more likely to vote for them). But it boggles my mind how a stadium of thousands is closer to opening than a theatres with 50.