Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Nobody stays dead forever. SOME WAY SOME HOW they’ll be back.

Look at Jean, Logan and Pro.X they are back. Watch Scott’s coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Apart from the New Mutants, Hellions, and a few miscellaneous characters like Pixie and DJ who at least had something that made him stand out before dying. Most of them were background characters and did nothing of significance. Admittedly i don't think many would be very attached to them at all.
    Oh, I wasnt talking about the bus crew sans Tag. I was talking about Jay, Laurie, Brian, Sidney, Max, Nic Gleason, etc etc. My heart skipped a couple of beats when Bunn "killed off" Elixir in the first few issues of his run. I mean, even with Eye-Boy's death in Venomized, it's clear that the students have been reduced down to fodder after an era of relative safety. From post-Second Coming to Time Runs Out, I can't place my finger on a single student that bit the dust (unless you count Wallflower re-dying). Ever since Secret Wars ended, the body count's been racking up. I feel like now every student's fair game now.

BANNED

Dead is never a word in Marvel, what's important is sales figure.

If many people want to read a favorite character, Marvel will bring him/her back from the dead.

If your favorite character is not popular with low sales, then he will remain dead.

Suspend your disbelief of the disbelief for a second guys. The question is... If you know they're never coming back. Not "we all know they'll come back eventually." Answer the question. IF it's ACTUALLY permanent, what would you do.

Spectacular Member

My favorite is Storm and she’s been dead since 1991 but I still buy because I love the xmen :-D

If death truly became permanent, and it wasn't just my faves who were singled out for it, that might actually make me read more. The stories would have more weight to them if the reprecussions were absolute, and the writing would have to evolve if long-time favorites eventually went away to focus on new characters.

But if it was literally only MY favorite character and never anybody else, I'd continue reading anything I was enjoying and once that stopped the X-Men would probably go from being a good friend to a dude I peak in on on Facebook once a year.

Astonishing Member

I fear more for the c-d-f-z list characters who die in events or long story arcs to make them "feel meaningful" than for the Cyclops tier dead characters.

Cyclops will leave again, but both 616 and AoA Wild Child are dead and will probably stay dead.

My two favorite characters are Wolfsbane and Storm.

If they killed off Storm, I know they will bring her back. If they ever decided to kill her, I hope it’s an epic storyline. Because she is a black character, I don’t think Marvel would kill her off. There would be an uproar on killing off diverse characters.

If they killed Wolfsbane, I’m completely done with Marvel. They would probably never bring her back. If they do, it might be 20 years from now (ie Cypher or Magik).
    Favorite Characters: Wolfsbane, Storm, Psylcoke, Beast, Feral, Tempo, Nightcrawler, Quicksilver

Favorite Titles: X-Men Red, Legion of X, Marauders, Hellions

BANNED

I will be mad but I will be fine. Uncle Ben and Gwen Stacey have been killed off permanently and hard core fans of these characters still read Spiderman.

Quote Originally Posted by DKnight View Post
    I will be mad but I will be fine. Uncle Ben and Gwen Stacey have been killed off permanently and hard core fans of these characters still read Spiderman.
    You sure Uncle Ben has hardcore fans?
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    You sure Uncle Ben has hardcore fans?
    Am sure. these hard core fans are part of the people that disliked Spiderman Homecoming for not mentioning Uncle Ben not even once.
    Uncle Ben is the foundation of Spiderman comics. He is to Spiderman what Charles Xavier is to X-Men.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ţh€ €жţяą-๏яďɨɲąя¥ Tycon View Post
    Oh, I wasnt talking about the bus crew sans Tag. I was talking about Jay, Laurie, Brian, Sidney, Max, Nic Gleason, etc etc. My heart skipped a couple of beats when Bunn "killed off" Elixir in the first few issues of his run. I mean, even with Eye-Boy's death in Venomized, it's clear that the students have been reduced down to fodder after an era of relative safety. From post-Second Coming to Time Runs Out, I can't place my finger on a single student that bit the dust (unless you count Wallflower re-dying). Ever since Secret Wars ended, the body count's been racking up. I feel like now every student's fair game now.
    Aside from Jay and Laurie I was not under the impression there was anyone else of significance from the Academy X era but alright. I didn't even think Max Jordan was anything significant at all. Well true admittedly sometimes you even suspect the Academy X characters who did play a significant role in that run will be next on the list of characters to kill off. I did like Eyeboy and I even got over his weird look that looks the slightest wrong move would hurt him more so than the average man like biting his own tongue. But he didn't seem didn't seem all that significant maybe that's why they chose to kill him off.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Doug Ramsey, another char I enjoy, was killed long long ago but relatively recently revived and even given a nice role in AllNewXFactor. Since then crickets although I saw a scan someone posted from a random book he made a cameo in, where the author seemingly ruined his character...?

I try to just ignore dumb authors writing chars I like in stupid ways and hope better writers will get a hold of them eventually and do them more justice
    Doug's had a decent cameo in New Avengers since ANXF at Sunspots fake funeral, but I'm assuming you're talking about his latest appearance in The Hunt for Wolverine: Weapon lost? He does appear to be a uncleanly 40 year old with a beard for some reason, though the cover art for issue #2 shows that he might be looking more like the traditional Doug we know. Though his characterization definitely seems way off.

Sometimes I wonder if I prefer my favorite characters to be MIA or Dead.

Quote Originally Posted by DKnight View Post
    Am sure. these hard core fans are part of the people that disliked Spiderman Homecoming for not mentioning Uncle Ben not even once.
    Uncle Ben is the foundation of Spiderman comics. He is to Spiderman what Charles Xavier is to X-Men.
    He's far from Xavier. Otherwise he'd keep coming back from the dead and have dark secrets continuously popping up ever five years or so.
    "Uncle Ben was secretly infatuated with Silk"
    "Uncle Ben secretly raised another group of adopted nephews that he erased from Peter and May's memory after they died.."
    "Uncle Ben was actually married to Black Cat."

Quote Originally Posted by jpmst17 View Post
    i would probably quit the x-books. i like other characters, but my cyclops love is what makes me want to stay. if he's gone, i really don't see a point in continuing to read
    I think more or less like you.

Why continue to support a franchise if you do not respect your favorite character?

I have several favorite characters, including Jean, but when they "killed" my favorite character of all in 616, say Rogue in the horrible Uncanny Avengers of RRemender, then quit the mutant comics completely, and then I focus ams on the of the avengers.

Because not only Rogue disappeared for several months of UA, but also in that time disappeared from X-Men / X-Woman, then with the time travel, this was avoided, Rogue revived, and saved the planet, also giving the It shows one of the 3 samples of the greatest power that any member of the X-Men has ever given, and after that only good things came for Rogue.

So I empathize a lot with that feeling that the fans of characters that have killed in the 616 have, it's a mixture of emotions, I for one would be drastic, and I would stop following the franchise, until I hear about my favorite character.

_______

On that side the fans of Jean have endured like no one, more than a decade without his character, and in the meantime they wanted to fill their gap with Rachel or worse with a teen version of our Jean, but finally she is back.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    I would read the books of my other favorite characters and spend less money monthly.
    This. They killed Nightcrawler for like 4 years, and nobody cares about Longshot (he's usually just not there --or when he is, he's mainly wallpaper ;P ).

For me, the problem is not as much as my faves being present or not. The problem is that I don't like most of X-books from, like, two last decades.