Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Enh! This team is perfect as is. Just as the original X-Factor team was perfect and the ANAD, and the Outback team where incidentally Storm was the only Black person.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    I don't think the ethnicity of a forum poster should matter, but for the sake of some, I'm an American of Mexican extraction.

Now that that's out of the way: I really couldn't care less about the diversity of the cast. I'm not trying to be shocking or anything like that, I honestly don't think that should be such a large concern when crafting a story unless diversity itself is part of the narrative. I know that a plurality of fans, maybe a majority on these forums want representation, but I think that attitude makes it difficult for writers to do their work – is anything ever enough? How large most the team be? How many of each race must be represented? Should the team have only had more black characters? No Hispanic or Chinese or Middle-Eastern characters? Cut out some of the white characters to make room, even if the narrative set some of them to specifically be on the team?

These questions are rhetorical, I know no one is making these arguments necessarily, but we shouldn't get so preoccupied with this that we let it ruin the story. And no, I don't think making these kinds of arguments or defending the line up makes someone insensitive or a jerk.
    I agree with you up to a point. If the story is what mattered the most and we are talking about fantasy characters, then why don't we have X-Men team books that happen to have a majority Latino, Asian, or African American members with 1 or 2 white members on? Most of us understand that most of these powers are duplicated amongst so many of these mutants that it really doesn't matter.

I love that Sunfire is finally on the X-Men properly. Having him leave the team immediately after Giant-Size (and then killing off another PoC character just to be sure) was a crime. This finally goes some way to rectifying things and maybe now we'll learn something about him beyond how hot-headed he is and how much he loves Japan.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Exactatiously. Those are Sunfire's least interesting and admirable character traits so I hope Duggan adds more layers and depth to him.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Rakurai View Post
    Yeah, I wonder if it was supposed to be the other Magik, Amanda, Kurt sister.
    I don't think we've seen her since her sacrifice in Nightcrawler series.
    She’s not a mutant, so the resurrection protocols are out for her… she’ll have to come back to life the old fashioned way… A writer having a need for the character bad enough to come up with a way to bring her back.

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    One can’t help but notice that Feilong’s modifications rather resemble Karima’s “organic” components in Life 9
    Quite the resemblance indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    I love that Sunfire is finally on the X-Men properly. Having him leave the team immediately after Giant-Size (and then killing off another PoC character just to be sure) was a crime. This finally goes some way to rectifying things and maybe now we'll learn something about him beyond how hot-headed he is and how much he loves Japan.
    Agreed. I'm much more concerned with the quality of representation versus the quantity. For example although I'm happy Tempo will be appearing in Marauders, Bishop has barely done anything since finding Kate's body. I would prefer he be fleshed out a lot more before anything else.
    I'm extremely pleased with how Synch shined in this issue and I'm looking forward to Sunfire hopefully getting the same treatment.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

BANNED

Is that The High Evolutionary having a drink on page #28, frame #5?

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Is that The High Evolutionary having a drink on page #28, frame #5?
    The red faces are supposed to be representation for Brexiteers.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Even if it wasn't entirely Duggan's decision as to who would be on the team, it still reflects badly on the people in charge to have the X-men team (which is supposed to be a stand in for minorities) be predominantly white and then taking a name and history belonging to African Americans and making it about mutants/themselves. I don't think anyone is calling Duggan a racist. And the problem we're talking about is sadly common in the X books.

In defense of Laura, she does have a personality. Just not when she's written as Logan but as a girl.
    This was inevitable when they announced to be on the team as Wolverine.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    I agree with you up to a point. If the story is what mattered the most and we are talking about fantasy characters, then why don't we have X-Men team books that happen to have a majority Latino, Asian, or African American members with 1 or 2 white members on? Most of us understand that most of these powers are duplicated amongst so many of these mutants that it really doesn't matter.
    Probably because upper management at Marvel would worry about sales. The "majority minority" team books, whether Avengers or X-Men, have typically not sold well. (That doesn't necessarily mean Marvel shouldn't keep trying, though. I'm just answering the question posed).

While I'm here, let's deal with two other complaints I'm seeing (that don't have to do with diversity):

(1) The relative lack of characterization in this issue. I think going for more characterization should take place in future issues, but we have to remember that this is an issue 1. In comics, very often you only get one issue to make an impression, and I would say going with a fast-paced, action-packed issue that lets the artist flourish will attract the greatest number of readers for the title going forward. I say this as a big Sunfire fan who hopes to have him developed thoroughly in the series before its done.

(2) The idea that the mutants caused the crisis in the first place and therefore should get less credit for just cleaning up their own mess, i.e. "Captain America was right." This seems to be a bad read, period. Remember, humans (in the form of that new IPO-having scientific genius villain) were going to terraform Mars anyway; it's just that the mutants beat them to it. So you can't blame mutants for terraforming Mars. Furthermore, that alien gambling world doesn't exactly seem like they're inhabited by good people; it seems pretty likely they would have eventually found some beef with the people of Earth regardless of the terraforming of Mars. Finally, those gambliens want to eradicate "Earthlings", not just mutants. They don't really differentiate between humans and mutants as they think we're all pests that need to be killed. I think that's one of the themes Duggan is trying to build -- can humans and mutants work together against an alien force that doesn't differentiate between them and wants to kill both? (Not exactly an original idea, granted).

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    I'm not sure how in the hell I messed that up, but I'm sorry about that. And I totally get what you're saying. Not that you're complaining - a couple of the fans on Twitter are - but I, too, am tempted to nitpick and complain about how they are seemingly always undermining her capabilities, but then I just decide to focus on the positives.

Also, I just geeked out - though I wish he'd included this in a caption in the book - over what Duggan tweeted was his intended feat for Jean:

https://twitter.com/GerryDuggan/stat...63313902399491
    It's not so much nitpicking, just noting my impression from reading. It's not like I'm going through an issue and thinking "There, that's something I can nitpick about." And I said before that I'm not a hardcore Jean fan, so what I said is something to take with a grain of salt.

Glad to see Duggan mention that (though I had to find it myself; the link you gave is cut off and doesn't work).

Quote Originally Posted by kevinism View Post
    2. WHY does Lorna needs help moving her bags that MUST have metal in them?
    Because having help to move bags is awesome, that's why.

I thought that was great from a character perspective. Other Lorna fans I've talked to liked it too, and enjoyed how she goes on to carry two with her powers while Cyclops is still carrying one.

But if we want to get overly serious about it, just because Lorna can carry the bags herself doesn't mean it doesn't take energy and effort. It's no different from checking into a hotel and a person who works for the hotel taking your bags to the room for you.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    The red faces are supposed to be representation for Brexiteers.
    Genuine coffee spitting moment there. I laughed really hard. Thank you.

Mighty Member

Probably because upper management at Marvel would worry about sales. The "majority minority" team books, whether Avengers or X-Men, have typically not sold well. (That doesn't necessarily mean Marvel shouldn't keep trying, though. I'm just answering the question posed).
    This is BS coming from them. What's usually the number one book out? Batman probably. And that's still chump change. It's not like the Batman writers are drowning in all the extra cash cause their book is the best selling one out. They still struggle cause the overall comic market isn't for people looking to become rich quick if at all.

The truth is that even liberal white writers are incapable of writing anyone who isn't like them. It's like asking them the impossible. And in they consider themselves "liberals" then they feel outraged at the slightest criticism. And as long as white men are running the show behind the scenes, they will always ignore minorities and claim some BS reason.

They also like to screw over any writers of color. Ayala is a great writer, but they give them COTA (dead on arrival) and will later say diversity doesn't sell.

Sunfire is probably the token for this team as issue one does seem to indicate Duggan may write Synch better.

I am a little bit worried about Sunfire. He spoke two sentences and they were like „meeee buuuuurn everything“ and nobody listened to him. At least he is in a team with Rogue, and I liked them in Uncanny Avengers.

Incredible Member

Is there any consensus on whether the first villain introduced, Kelvin Heng, is different from the third villain, Dr. Stasis? I just assumed they were different when I read the comic but the starting post in this thread is saying they're the same. (I'm not knocking the original poster, as I can see why it could be confusing. One of the reasons why I give the comic a 4/5 rather than a 5/5. Very good, not great. But still exceeding the low expectations I had of Duggan).

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    The truth is that even liberal white writers are incapable of writing anyone who isn't like them. It's like asking them the impossible. And in they consider themselves "liberals" then they feel outraged at the slightest criticism. And as long as white men are running the show behind the scenes, they will always ignore minorities and claim some BS reason.
    I mean, the sales numbers are available. It's not like Marvel is faking them.

But I would agree that the Big 2 companies might be too beholden to sales numbers. Batman does sell, so DC is publishing like 50 books with Batman, lol. That's overboard and not great strategy long-term.