Page 239 of 258 FirstFirst ... 139189229235236237238239240241242243249 ... LastLast
Results 3,571 to 3,585 of 3858
    Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I have enjoyed their run. I dont mind at all if they continue their run. What I would like to see change is the round-robin of artists that DC keeps putting on the title. The book needs one consistent artist. Comic books are a visual medium...that's what attracts readers. They see a cool cover, pick up the book and flip through it. We've had good artists on the title, but it changes every third issue.
    Should they continue, I would like to see them explore more of the rogues. They've done a good job so far, but it is time to go further. I really want an all out brawl though. Someone to test Diana's stamina and strength. I love what they have done with Etta, Steve and even Siggy. Let's see more. (I want as less of Yara as possible but I know that wont happen.)
    I do wish they would work with Tom Taylor and finalize a Donna Troy origin....a simplified version. Likewise an origin for Cassie and more appearances for both of them. However, it does seem as if they are not all that encouraged to write them into a story (what was it Conrad said about Donna...she's got more to figure out than they have page time for? Very bad paraphrasing I will blame on poor memory.)
    Overall, however I do think that they are doing a good job. We've had a lot of stories based around the island and other Amazons, we need some set out in the world now. New villains, new locales. Again the one thing they could amp up is the drama, the stakes, the action. IF however DC does replace them, I can't comment on Josie Campbell's work having only read two issues of Shazam so far that she has done (I'm quite a bit behind in my reading.) She's gotten good reports though.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    "...Something I think that’s essential for the title is to keep including plots and subplots that involve Steve, Etta, Siggy and Barbara (for however long she’s around) and get Diana connected with the team more. It gives the book a lift in conversations, character motives and styles, agreements, disagreements, different pairings of characters interacting and drama. They give Diana and the Wonder world depth when they get developed in relation to Diana and each other.

I wish C+C Writing Factory and team had another title to work with, because they’re trying to do a lot of Wonder World building in a limited amount of space. I appreciate what we’ve received so far, but it’s be great to another Sensational title for more Diana, her villains and her supporting characters."
    I'll just be lazy and say Scott just nailed another perfect summation on where I fall, with what's happening and what I think desperately needs to happen in the WW comic.

CASTS become classic, because a smart editor with a long range vision for a series, and who gave a damn, championed it's development and corralled writers to follow suit. You can't do that, inviting writers to come in and ignore the regulars and change the settings, on a whim. That's not the kind of comic book editing that enables us to say Alfred, Gordon and Dick or Perry, Lois and Jimmy, without having to explain who those characters are or how they're relevant to each other, to readers. When we can do that with Etta, Col. Steve, Dr. Minerva and Siggy, it will be because someone, presently Ms. Brittany Holzherr, edited a Wonder Woman comic.

What you articulated in that first paragraph I quoted really has to happen, if the WW comic is ever going to spark industry interest in a TV cartoon, livac series, toyline, etc. in the near future. This cast promises a mass appeal, I'm not sure this comic has ever seen before, ..if only a good editor will stand on the wall and hold writers accountable to a solid vision, going forward.

And I wish someone had raised enough hell to shoe-horn in a Donna Troy backup series. How long have we been mumbling about and rallying each other to see this realized?

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I have enjoyed their run. I dont mind at all if they continue their run. What I would like to see change is the round-robin of artists that DC keeps putting on the title. The book needs one consistent artist. Comic books are a visual medium...that's what attracts readers. They see a cool cover, pick up the book and flip through it. We've had good artists on the title, but it changes every third issue.
    Should they continue, I would like to see them explore more of the rogues. They've done a good job so far, but it is time to go further. I really want an all out brawl though. Someone to test Diana's stamina and strength. I love what they have done with Etta, Steve and even Siggy. Let's see more. (I want as less of Yara as possible but I know that wont happen.)
    I do wish they would work with Tom Taylor and finalize a Donna Troy origin....a simplified version. Likewise an origin for Cassie and more appearances for both of them. However, it does seem as if they are not all that encouraged to write them into a story (what was it Conrad said about Donna...she's got more to figure out than they have page time for? Very bad paraphrasing I will blame on poor memory.)
    Overall, however I do think that they are doing a good job. We've had a lot of stories based around the island and other Amazons, we need some set out in the world now. New villains, new locales. Again the one thing they could amp up is the drama, the stakes, the action. IF however DC does replace them, I can't comment on Josie Campbell's work having only read two issues of Shazam so far that she has done (I'm quite a bit behind in my reading.) She's gotten good reports though.
    Those amped up stakes you mentioned would be welcome ..and could be achieved with physically matching Diana with a good antagonist, against whom a high-stakes fight felt organically inevitable - the battle that has to happen...written in the stars, so to speak. I would welcome further development/use of Janus and her time and fate mangling enterprises, against which no Amazon, worth her salt, could long abide. I suppose the same effect could be achieved with a good story pitting her against Clea, Superwoman, Giganta, Queen of Fables or one of the other megalomaniacs. I'm relieved writers won't be fishing around for something to make Cheetah the 'arch' and think we've been stuck with her (esp. since SUPER FRIENDS), long enough.

I'm sorry that Diana doesn't have a female Vandal Savage to perennially square off with. I think Bar Minerva could have been that elegant, elusive, aspiring tyrant, with the right stories and narrative direction - just never happened. I think Clea still can be the villain we might imagine punching Diana into skyscrapers, as the world burned around them. As always with WW, ..we're waiting.

No one wants a simpler origin, recalling the original one for Donna Troy, more than me. On television, one entirely incidental, throwaway line from Drusilla, fumbling to explain her presence on a military base - "I'm Major Trevor's niece" - accomplished what decades of comic book genius...can't? It would be relief to see this thing settled, once and for all. "Donna Troy began her life, rescued by Wonder Woman from a fire somewhere and trained by Amazons, before settling into life in America, disguised as Steve Trevor's or Gen. Darnell's niece, while fighting evil beside the Titans...period." With it, end of all discussion and speculation.

"...Overall, however I do think that they are doing a good job. We've had a lot of stories based around the island and other Amazons, we need some set out in the world now. New villains, new locales. Again the one thing they could amp up is the drama, the stakes, the action. IF however DC does replace them..."

I won't see the point in giving the WW comic anymore time or enthusiasm, ..and I'll just drop the comic for the foreseeable future. The Greg Rucka cast - that's what Mike and Becky have revived - switching Ferdinand out with Siggy, is the best since the Golden Age, hands down. Diana, Etta, Col. Steve, Dr. Minerva and Siggy; they're a box of action figures, a hit CW show! If the editors, Marie and Brittany, won't stand up for this cast, a cast I would've LOVED watching in Saturday morning cartoons as a boy, and can't find writers to make them work in a story...

Bye. Hola!
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 02-04-2023 at 02:30 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Extraordinary Member

Wonder Woman #797 International Women's Day Variant by Jasmin Darnell

Last edited by Hypo; 02-05-2023 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Wonder Woman #797 International Women's Day Variant by Jasmin Darnell

I love this, especially beacuse I was so enthralled looking at the pictures it took a while to notice the W's in the framing. My only nitpick is the shade of Diana's hair, but I see what they were doing with the gradually darker hair colors.

I would very much like to see some adversaries that test Diana's physical strength. Queen Clea would be an interesting villain to bring in (finally). The story potential...that cause for conflict, just off the top of my head I can't think of much that would bring these two together outside of perhaps the invasion of Themyscira and then it would be more Nubia's story (which would be a very cool story to read...Nubia battling it out with Clea!) I have always wanted a story of Diana vs. Superwoman (Earth 3) but I dont know that I want her going against the current version of Donna Troy (maybe.) I much preferred the previous version who had taken the role of Lois Lane, she seemed much more ruthless. (The Donna Troy version I would rather see her go against Donna-two sides of the same coin, Donna coming to grips with her own past and paths she's taken.)
    My other options are fairly new ones and a controversial one at that possibly...Myrina Black and Grail. Not necessarily together and to be honest, i am not even sure what kind of conflict would come between Black and Diana or how much she could prove to be a physical combatant for Diana. However, as a trained Amazonian assassin, it's possible she could be written as quite the opponent. The only contingency here is that she supposedly died. Now, obviously that's not that big a deal, but something to be dealt with perhaps?
    Grail on the other hand can give her a fight with her Apokalyptian and Amazonian heritage. Darkseid has returned to his full form, but what of Grail? Where is she, what's she doing, what would bring her to attack Diana other than just petty vindictiveness?
    Diana doesn't have many rogues that can match her for strength outside of the gods and monsters of myth, plus it's very possible that I could be forgetting some. She definitely needs more in this area. I mean we've got Clea, Cheetah, Giganta...is that about it for physical strength?

I think introducing Myrina and Grail was Geoff Johns's attempt to give Diana a built-in archenemy...marvelously played, but never developed further.

Myrina Black is a fanatic, ..the Magneto of the Wonder-rogues. She began her life as an Amazon assassin, killing for the cause of Amazon liberation - maybe, Amazon rule, depending on who she was answering to to. Beside her Grail, is an Image Age badgirl - not a tenth as intriguing as her mum - and I think it's unfortunate that Johns didn't see it that way. For a moment, there was an opportunity to build a great, enduring villain with Myrina.

I mumbled something about WW needing a female Vandal Savage. Myrina's a better fit for that, than a comparison with Magneto.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 02-05-2023 at 10:18 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I would very much like to see some adversaries that test Diana's physical strength. Queen Clea would be an interesting villain to bring in (finally). The story potential...that cause for conflict, just off the top of my head I can't think of much that would bring these two together outside of perhaps the invasion of Themyscira and then it would be more Nubia's story (which would be a very cool story to read...Nubia battling it out with Clea!) I have always wanted a story of Diana vs. Superwoman (Earth 3) but I dont know that I want her going against the current version of Donna Troy (maybe.) I much preferred the previous version who had taken the role of Lois Lane, she seemed much more ruthless. (The Donna Troy version I would rather see her go against Donna-two sides of the same coin, Donna coming to grips with her own past and paths she's taken.)
    My other options are fairly new ones and a controversial one at that possibly...Myrina Black and Grail. Not necessarily together and to be honest, i am not even sure what kind of conflict would come between Black and Diana or how much she could prove to be a physical combatant for Diana. However, as a trained Amazonian assassin, it's possible she could be written as quite the opponent. The only contingency here is that she supposedly died. Now, obviously that's not that big a deal, but something to be dealt with perhaps?
    Grail on the other hand can give her a fight with her Apokalyptian and Amazonian heritage. Darkseid has returned to his full form, but what of Grail? Where is she, what's she doing, what would bring her to attack Diana other than just petty vindictiveness?
    Diana doesn't have many rogues that can match her for strength outside of the gods and monsters of myth, plus it's very possible that I could be forgetting some. She definitely needs more in this area. I mean we've got Clea, Cheetah, Giganta...is that about it for physical strength?
    I’ve been thinking about this a lot and have been developing a couple of new characters that can physically go toe to toe with Diana or any of the other superpowerfully strong heroes. It’s been fun to do, but obviously doesn’t help the actual title.

I agree that Superwoman from Earth 3 would be a great battler with Diana, but I’d want to overhaul the character and dig into who she is a bit more. I’m not a fan of the current Donna Troy version. (All the Earth 3 characters could use some work IMHO.)

I enjoy when Diana tussles with the New Gods, whether that is Darkseid, Kalibak, Grail or Granny Goodness and the Female Furies. Diana should have a connection to the New Gods that’s every bit as strong as Superman’s. I’d like to see a lot more exploration of what makes the New Gods deities and how that compares to the Olympians and other pantheons. Like, do all New Gods and Olympians have super strength and resiliency? Who’s the lowest most powerful and highest most powerful (e.g. strength-wise) amongst them and compared to Wonder Woman and normal humans. I think that can help in understanding which characters pose a physical threat to Diana - especially when she’s in the top tier of powerful and resilient characters.

Queen Clea, while not having as much raw power as Diana, should definitely be on the list of characters that’s a physical threat to Diana. Johns revamped all the Atlanteans to have a greater degree of strength and resiliency than they did prior to the DCnU. If I had my way, I’d have the Amazons be on, or almost on, par with the Atlanteans in strength.

Past the normal ones, there are other adversaries I would make/revamp in a class that’s strong enough to trade blows with Diana - Heracles (obviously), Giganta (obviously), Eviless and Doctor Cyber.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    I think introducing Myrina and Grail was Geoff Johns's attempt to give Diana a built-in archenemy...marvelously played, but never developed further.

Myrina Black is a fanatic, ..the Magneto of the Wonder-rogues. She began her life as an Amazon assassin, killing for the cause of Amazon liberation - maybe, Amazon rule, depending on who she was answering to to. Beside her Grail, is an Image Age badgirl - not a tenth as intriguing as her mum - and I think it's unfortunate that Johns didn't see it that way. For a moment, there was an opportunity to build a great, enduring villain with Myrina.

I mumbled something about WW needing a female Vandal Savage. Myrina's a better fit for that, than a comparison with Magneto.
    I quite liked Myrina and Grail’s story, but they didn’t stick the landing with either character IMHO. I get the character beat, but it’s a shame that Myrina had to die (because she was so interesting.) No backstory on how Darkseid and Myrina met or details about how they “fell for one another.” Grail had all this great indignation toward the Amazons and Apokoliptans, a child lost to two worlds, and it got washed away very quickly for Grail to become another lackey of Darkseid. Amazon-assassin raised and a lost princess demigod of a hell planet and she was all “oh well, that was that.”

Both not used to their full potential IMHO.

(Side note: I have a whole story I want to do that’s The Bride of Darkseid and another that features Darkseid’s children: Orion, Scott Free, Kalibak, Grayven and Grail, with couple of surprises thrown in.)

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I’ve been thinking about this a lot and have been developing a couple of new characters that can physically go toe to toe with Diana or any of the other superpowerfully strong heroes. It’s been fun to do, but obviously doesn’t help the actual title.

I agree that Superwoman from Earth 3 would be a great battler with Diana, but I’d want to overhaul the character and dig into who she is a bit more. I’m not a fan of the current Donna Troy version. (All the Earth 3 characters could use some work IMHO.)

I enjoy when Diana tussles with the New Gods, whether that is Darkseid, Kalibak, Grail or Granny Goodness and the Female Furies. Diana should have a connection to the New Gods that’s every bit as strong as Superman’s. I’d like to see a lot more exploration of what makes the New Gods deities and how that compares to the Olympians and other pantheons. Like, do all New Gods and Olympians have super strength and resiliency? Who’s the lowest most powerful and highest most powerful (e.g. strength-wise) amongst them and compared to Wonder Woman and normal humans. I think that can help in understanding which characters pose a physical threat to Diana - especially when she’s in the top tier of powerful and resilient characters.

Queen Clea, while not having as much raw power as Diana, should definitely be on the list of characters that’s a physical threat to Diana. Johns revamped all the Atlanteans to have a greater degree of strength and resiliency than they did prior to the DCnU. If I had my way, I’d have the Amazons be on, or almost on, par with the Atlanteans in strength.

Past the normal ones, there are other adversaries I would make/revamp in a class that’s strong enough to trade blows with Diana - Heracles (obviously), Giganta (obviously), Eviless and Doctor Cyber.
    I agree with you.

I would love to see how Diana fares against some of the other super-strong characters, like the New Gods, not just fighting ability, but in strength. Like just how close are the Furies to Diana? What about Granny? How close are the Atlanteans to the Amazons?

Yeah, some good stuff here just waiting to be written...!!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

the problem is as much as I am enjoying Cloonrad's run, I'm not sure they have the depth of ability to write a story that would do Myrina Black or Grail justice. I would love to see either or both of those characters return and someone write Wonder Woman's Hush story or Dark Victory or Long Halloween (oddly enough all written by Loeb, not intentional...but those are all defining Batman stories.) As I said, I haven't read anything as yet that proves they can get the strength of story to reach those levels. Their first storyline almost got there. It was quite good and strong. Trial of the Amazons I think suffered from too many cooks in the kitchen, it had the potential to be that blockbuster story...it was also hindered by lackluster artists. (I know the WW office is kind of hooked on promoting female creatives for the Wonder Woman book(s) but few have piqued my interest. Skylar Patridge has been the strongest in my opinion. Alethea Martinez is another. The artist I would love to see do a run on the book is Jason Fabok.)
    As far as who could write such a story...I dont even know if anyone at DC could do that. Maybe Ram V? Mark Waid has the ability but not sure if he has the interest to write a Wonder Woman series.
    (OOH, tangent...Myrina would make for an EXCELLENT movie villain!)
    What do I want from a Wonder Woman story? I want a writer(s) who can build characters, plot, action. Cloonrad have done a good job with character development but action doesn't seem to be their strong suit. Again, I would love for them to prove me wrong. I dont want to be disparaging towards them, they've done some really good work and have written a book closer to what I enjoy in a Wonder Woman story than I have read in a long time, but there's still just something missing...the intensity of the action maybe. I'm just rambling, apologies. I want this book to be great. I've been happy with it being good enough to entertain me.

WONDER WOMAN #799
    Written by BECKY CLOONAN and MICHAEL W. CONRAD
    Art by TERRY DODSON, PAULINA GANUCHEAU, and more!
    Cover by YANICK PAQUETTE
    Variant cover by RAHZZAH
    Variant cover by TERRY DODSON and RACHEL DODSON
    1:25 variant cover by CRIS DELARA
    1:50 foil variant cover by YANICK PAQUETTE
    $4.99 US | 40 pages | Variant $5.99 US (card stock)
    ON SALE 5/16/23
    A landmark two-part celebration of Wonder Woman’s adventures begins, as an all-star lineup of creators asks, “Whatever happened to the Warrior of Truth?” After the events of Revenge of the Gods, Diana enters the caves of Themyscira’s Healing Island for a much-needed respite, but she emerges someplace unexpected…the fantastical dreams of her greatest allies and enemies! The startling visions lead directly to next month’s Wonder Woman #800 and new twists in the saga of the Amazing Amazon!

Sounds like a culmination if I've ever heard one.

me; that's a really nice Dodson variant of Diana and Steve in their Golden Age attires.

also me; that better not mean another sign of them regressing Diana back to WW2 to be the JSA's secretary.

The beautiful main cover

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Oh that cover is sick. If you're doing Diana with her hair up, this is the way. And those muscles!

Yeah, very much sounds like a last hurrah. And Terry Dodson doing interiors!! Sounds like it's gonna be an anthology-ish issue with different artists on each section (Skylar Patridge hinted that she has a small Artemis project coming up as well, guessing it's for this). Hoping this means we get info on the new creative team/possible relaunch within the next couple of weeks.

Also I like the Yanick Paquette cover, love a good tribute to the classic Ms. Magazine cover, but I'm hoping they get a new go-to cover artist next time around. They'd look beautiful as interiors but as covers they're just kinda...flat. He's not bad but he's certainly no Adam Hughes, Jenny Frison, or JG Jones.
    Last edited by bardkeep; 02-17-2023 at 10:50 AM.