Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Gotham Central Rebirth?

This was my favorite Bat-book. Who would like to see it return? Especially with Rucka at the helm?
    Assassinate Putin!

BANNED

Not interested. Now a Renee Montoya Question book with Jim and Bullock as supporting characters? That I'd be down for!

Honestly a Renee Montoya Question book is the only 'Bat' book I'd want to see that doesn't have Cass.
    Last edited by Assam; 11-08-2017 at 09:10 PM.

For me it would depend on the creative team and what they have to say with the book but somehow I don't think anyone will be able to capture what Brubaker and Rucka were able to do.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    This was my favorite Bat-book. Who would like to see it return? Especially with Rucka at the helm?
    Yes! But likely without Rucka. Honestly Central is the only thing I'd have faith in Bendis writing. If he could make it as good as when he did ALIAS for Marvel, then Central would be in great hands. One Condition though. Jim and ESPECIALLY Bullock better be major characters. Not just cameos and guests

As long as Renee Montoya is the main character and Batman and continue to play only background roles, I'm interested.
    I think I'd rather have a Metropolis book starring Lois and the Daily Planet thought. GC has been done very well already.

Yes. It’s long overdue for a comeback. This is the book Bendis would do a fantastic job at, but you wouldn’t hear me complain if Greg Rucka came back either. DC needs more books like Gotham Central, it was a great series. I’m still mad we got Gotham instead of a Gotham Central tv series.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Who would like to see it return? Especially with Rucka at the helm?
    How likely is Rucka to do another regular DC book again in the near-future, even if it was just a monthly (as opposed to a twice-a-month) title?

I saw Gotham Central book in one image about DC Comics that Bendis is going to read...

Rucka? No, thanks..

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

One of the best runs of any mainstream comics, ever. Wouldn’t mind it making a comeback. Especially, if Rucka is at the helm.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Rucka or Bendis or etc, hopefully it will be revived some day. I don't want Montoya Question, I want GCPD Montoya. Bullock, Montoya, etc.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

By the way, how much are King, Tynion, and the other Bat-writers actually using the GCPD in their Rebith Bat-stories these days?

Astonishing Member

I'm certainly not opposed to a Gotham Central style book coming back. Initially I felt like Batman Eternal might capitalize on that style a lot, but it went in a vastly different direction. Although I was goofily nerdishly excited to see Mike Akins turn up in Detective Comics two weeks ago. To have him turn up, then to have him turn up alongside "Hamilton Hill Junior", was some proper deep cuts. Sebastian Hady's mayoral run was pretty crazy, running all the way from Grant Morrison's opening salvo - One Year Later - until well, until Lady Shiva. He survived some serious ordeals before that, and some serious corruption. (Probably my actual biggest gripe with Zero Year is the implication that Hady was the mayor back then, too, but maybe he ran for reelection at some point.) Anyway, obviously the notion of Montoya and Bullock is the selling point, and a book that explores a little more of Gordon as a main, rather than a supporting role/cameo would be cool because we still haven't seen a lot of post-Superheavy fallout. There's plenty of other cops from Rucka and Brubaker's time-period that it would be nice to see, who haven't turned up much, except here and there, like in Nicieza's Red Robin and in a couple other places (I think I remember seeing Azevedo turn up somewhere random at one point.) Even the Gotham By Midnight series kind of touched on it a smidge, just in a much more Jim Corrigan way.

But I gotta say, while there's more to say, that run ran a natural course and had a deserved ending. I'd be far more interested in Metropolis SCU title. Maggie has transferred back to Metro and is the Commish there. I'd like to see Dan Turpin again, because he hasn't been seen since Final Crisis and that's conspicuous. There's other cops and characters in Metropolis I'd like to see enter the picture, to say nothing of "all new" characters, and I'd like to see especially the interaction with the news media in Metropolis (Lois but especially Jimmy), interactions with guys like Luthor, who are crooks but likely bankroll the Metro PD body armor, guns and vehicles, interactions with Intergang in particular, and of course, contrasting with Gotham Central - how a police department handles being in the city where all the crazy robot and alien invasions happen.

I'd pick a weird writing duo to make it happen. Like a Priest & Hickman sort of thing. Or maybe Steve Orlando and Tom King.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I'd pick a weird writing duo to make it happen. Like a Priest & Hickman sort of thing. Or maybe Steve Orlando and Tom King.
    The latter pair I wouldn't refer to as a "weird duo".

"Abominable" or "dreadful" would be more along the lines of how I would view them.

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    Yes! But likely without Rucka. Honestly Central is the only thing I'd have faith in Bendis writing. If he could make it as good as when he did ALIAS for Marvel, then Central would be in great hands. One Condition though. Jim and ESPECIALLY Bullock better be major characters. Not just cameos and guests
    Bendis is far better writing down to earth stories where it makes sense with slow paced book and a lot of words than it does in spaces operas. Maybe it also just because I personally I prefer street level books and hope it will be Bendis' focus. A book focus on GCPD would be ideal.

Edit/Update:

Bendis posted his coming DC reading list on instagram. Gotham Central is there. This of cause doesn't mean he will write a new Gotham Central book however it doesn't make the changes smaller either.
    Last edited by Tupiaz; 12-08-2017 at 12:39 AM.

With the right team behind it, hell yeah!
    Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends.