Page 178 of 5011 FirstFirst ... 781281681741751761771781791801811821882282786781178 ... LastLast
Results 2,656 to 2,670 of 75153
    Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Hopefully the police stop rioting against peaceful protesters then.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 06-02-2020 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Original could have been read as me approving the pigs.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Considering I work in telephone surveying now, it really depends on if this was an online poll or not and what kind of sample they are using if it's phone-based. I know the company I work for prioritizes Cell Phones, but it's rare I speak to anyone younger than their 30's and most people I speak to are 50+. That age gap gets worse when we do call landlines, so it seems to me that younger folks by and large just don't know/care about how it skews polls if nobody but the older political fanatics take em.

Morning Consult is incredibly vague on how they actually aquire their data on their website, and I haven't trusted online polls for years now.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Anyway, why exactly is it that many systems out there, including police departments, have systemically grown to opposed and attack black people on sight more and more as if akin to a sponge soaking up liquid poison over time? There have been prior discussions on here that perhaps Nixon’s War in Drugs was partially responsible in noticeably increasing persecution to black people in America in the last 50 years, on the basis and false assumption of many black people being thugs in drug dealing gangs, but what other factors should be considered, as well as who aside from Trump should be held more responsible for fueling/fanning the flames of racism, antagonism, and targeting more?
    Good question. It goes back before the war on drugs.

The Police Force and security forces were used as tools to keep black people in their place from the slavery days right through the segregation era. And the police did so pretty violently. Unfortunately, when segregation ended, deliberate action was needed to clean up the police but that never happened. That’s why there’s still long entrenched bias against minorities within the police force. The aforementioned war on drugs didn’t help either which is still a problem to this day as black people are far more likely to convicted of drug possession and use despite blacks and whites using the drugs at the same rate.

Today, minority communities (which were largely created by redlining) are largely over policed by folks that aren’t familiar with those communities. That’s why there’s so much friction because the police and minorities, it’s like the country is waging war against them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalak View Post
    Considering I work in telephone surveying now, it really depends on if this was an online poll or not and what kind of sample they are using if it's phone-based. I know the company I work for prioritizes Cell Phones, but it's rare I speak to anyone younger than their 30's and most people I speak to are 50+. That age gap gets worse when we do call landlines, so it seems to me that younger folks by and large just don't know/care about how it skews polls if nobody but the older political fanatics take em.

Morning Consult is incredibly vague on how they actually aquire their data on their website, and I haven't trusted online polls for years now.
    Granted, I'm probably the most likely here to speak out against ancedotal evidence, but I'm curious what kind of conversations you guys are hearing about the protests.

People in their 30s aren't going to be excited about things not being safe for their kids and elderly parents.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Intermediary

Granted, I'm probably the most likely here to speak out against ancedotal evidence, but I'm curious what kind of conversations you guys are hearing about the protests.

People in their 30s aren't going to be excited about things not being safe for their kids and elderly parents.
    im 41. Im a veteran

this is some baby back bullshizz

the Idiot, whose presidency was a backlash of Obama being reelected, has steered this country back into Nixonian cronyism

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    [/B]

I agree with that. Like I said it is going to take a lot of time and several elections. It is also going to take talking and working with the disenfranchised Republicans. Not just attacking them because they are Republican or blaming them for voting for Trump and others in the party like a lot of people tend to do. Work with them for a chance to change how and who they vote for. There are Republicans out there that are ready for a change from Trump and Mitch and who are ready to leave the party. But not all Dems have been welcoming of them.

I will give an example. before the virus a group of my Republican friends and I who are very upset at how the party has gone went to a liberal open house event. We wanted to see what they had to offer and what their ideas were. When people found out we were former Republicans and current ones we were ignore by some and treated rudely by others. Openly attacked for voting for Trump. I pointed out that we were trying to change and move away from that and that we knew others who wanted to move away as well. We were told the party did not want people like us. We were the devils. We were the enemy. There were a couple people who talked with us and tried to make us feel welcome and wanted to hear why we were moving over and what we could do to move others over. But that was maybe 5 people out of 200. So with being treated like this is it any wonder some Republicans are nervous about moving over?
    I can understand people like those. They feel like your "wake up" moment came too late in a country where the signs have been around for decades. OTOH I don't like that kind of elitism. There was a individual of African descent on these threads before and after Donny won he went fell attack mode on all white people. To the point of of not even having sympathy for the woman who died in charlettesville because she was white. Personally I find that kind of behavior as bad as the alt-right as it makes you the same kind of "either your with us 1000% of the time for the beginning of time or you are less than human". We need less dehumanization, not more.

We are not supposed to chat about things unrelated to the survey, so I've had no conversations about it. BTW, what you said fits a decent percentage of folks in their 20's as well, since people are still having kids then and even in their teens.

As an aside, a few tips: Don't hang up on people who are calling you for surveys or whatever, they'll just keep calling back. Even if there are many more companies out there who have your number, saying 'Take Me Off Your List' works for that one, and it's better to be polite to someone who's just doing their job as opposed to doing this out of some sort of malice. I can guarantee we aren't in control of when we call any number and actively don't want to bother anyone.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    The Northside Chicago protest ended not very far from where I live. I could hear the chanting and the news helicopter was right over my block for least an hour and half if not two. At least three thousand people were out there ( although one reporter suggested it might have been up to five).I'll admit it, I didn't want to go outside. I took a walk this morning and it seems like only one store was vandalized one street over. It was generally peaceful. Interestingly enough, most of what looting happened was downtown again and in one of the suburbs.
    I have a feeling they were talking about my home town of Cicero. Right now the town is closed for a large protest. I also wish people would learn to distinguish between gang members and regular citizens when they talk about people in regard to yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    And that probably included his own autobiography.

Gentrification is slowly creeping into black West Philly where I live. I infrequently get calls and postcards in the mail asking if I want to sell my house. Regarding the latter, some of those postcards actually had pictures of my place on them, something I found unnerving.
    Isn't that illegal to take photos of houses without consent of the owner to use for ads? Also hell yes that's unnerving ! I dont get the reason for this, just help fix the neighborhood. Money is money, and it should not matter who it's coming from. I hate these guys so much.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    Then the financial aspect suckered them into racism.

You can't dance a tango and just do 2 out of 3 steps.
    I'm not tap dancing anything here. I'm saying a lot of people who were at one tim Republican did not view the race thing as in some cases, especially locally, that aspect was not on the table. Do I think there **** is racist, of course, but if were ever going to be able to help former members of said other party change there views we have to see what they saw so we can get them to see though the lies. Again I point to Liz Warren and The Rock as examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    That happens here where I live, too. It's just developers looking to tear down buildings and put up six condos in its place. For what it's worth, I live in the poorer part of pretty well to do white neighborhood and we get these from time to time. Including the google maps photos of the property on the card.
    We've been able to stanch it some what, but theres still groups that want to come in and push people out. Our town is heavily influenced by the large minority and immigrant population, always has been.

Quote Originally Posted by MiddleMan View Post
    im 41. Im a veteran

this is some baby back bullshizz

the Idiot, whose presidency was a backlash of Obama being reelected, has steered this country back into Nixonian cronyism
    1. Thank you for your service.

2. Agreed. Hell he had Nixon's lawyer involved in this. Also we need to talk about the lobby groups that put their two cents into this.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

OH WBE! Got someone for the Democrat of the Day.

@RepEliotEngel heard on hot mic asking @rubendiazjr for a turn to speak, says twice, "If I didn't have a primary, I wouldn't care."

Diaz responds, "Don't do that to me."

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    If the looting contineus, I find that stance believable. As afraid as I am of the proverbial genie being let out of the bottle I do think the rioting needs to stop one way or the other. If the police and National Guard can't do it, the military is basically your last option.

But HOPEFULLY things just quite down on their own. No one benefits from things escalating.
    Maybe the police should stop responding to protests against their violence with more violence?

They're still killing unarmed black men in the streets. They're tear gassing peaceful protesters. After their photo ops, natch. They're firing at reporters. They're getting caught causing destruction to property on camera.

MAYBE THE POLICE ARE STILL THE PROBLEM.

God forbid we address the issue that people are upset about. Let's respond with greater physical force!
    Last edited by Joker; 06-02-2020 at 03:08 PM.

Maybe the police should stop responding to protests against their violence with more violence?

They're still killing unarmed black men in the streets. They're tear gassing peaceful protesters. After their photo ops, natch. They're firing at reporters. They're getting caught causing destruction to property on camera.

MAYBE THE POLICE ARE STILL THE PROBLEM.

God forbid we address the issue that people are upset about. Let's respond with greater physical force!

What unarmed black man have they killed during the protest?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

His name was David McAtee.

He was shot dead by Police A day ago. They had all their body cameras turned off. They left his body in the street for hours.

Cops in Seattle were putting their knees on people's necks just a day or two ago.

You cannot continue doing the thing people are upset about and expect tensions to go down.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    What unarmed black man have they killed during the protest?

He was shot dead by Police A day ago. They had all their body cameras turned off. They left his body in the street for hours.

Cops in Seattle were putting their knees on people's necks just a day or two ago.

You cannot continue doing the thing people are upset about and expect tensions to go down.
    I've been lurking mostly for a while now as dialing so much causes my arms to ache (Cell phones cannot be AutoDialed we are told) but I noticed that come up a few times in the past day or 2 on this thread. I can see how it might have been missed, but it has been posted.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

He was shot dead by Police A day ago. They had all their body cameras turned off.
    Yet another example of dictator-like minority targeting anarchy that should be referenced when the leaders in power finally get to discussing what should actively be done in improving the quality of black lives and communities everywhere.

If that is the business owner in Louisville the police have said there is security video that they have from another store that shows him holding a gun and shooting three shots at police. I havnt seen the video so i cant say. I am going to hold off until I see what they claim to have.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.