View Poll Results: Do you like the bigger student body of Xavier's

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I really like all the new Mutant Characters

51 62.20%
  • No I don't like all the new Mutant Characters

31 37.80%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

I liked it better when it was just a big mansion with 12 X-Men living in it.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    If there are millions of mutants, the whole thing falls apart:

A) The X-Men can't handle millions of students.

B) 1 high end mutant can destroy the world. The idea of millions of mutants being in the world stretches the status quo to the breaking point(which is exactly why Marvel No More Mutanted the line just after Morrison's run).

I would have liked if the concepts Morrison(and Claremont in X-Treme) was exploring(with a full-fledged mutant minority subculture) had been fleshed out over the last 15 years or so instead, but all the Marvel books would have had to reflect that huge mutant population, and Marvel clearly wasn't having that.
    A) I wasn't suggesting millions of students, the vast majority of mutants wouldn't be affiliated with the X-Men at all, just living ordinary lives.

B) I disagree. Worldbreakers are few and far between and there are more than enough X-Men to handle them. That's why the X-Corps concept worked so well, to me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    That's the trouble with having a proper X-team of adults and a sub-team of kids all being served in one book. No one has enough time.

A book either needs to be about the kids with some adult supervision like in Gen X and New Mutants, or the kid characters need to be unique and kept to a minimum like Kitty and Jubilee were when they first joined.
    This is what I was trying to say in the X-Men Red thread. I totally agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckystar. View Post
    I liked it better when it was just a big mansion with 12 X-Men living in it.
    Yasss!

Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    A) I wasn't suggesting millions of students, the vast majority of mutants wouldn't be affiliated with the X-Men at all, just living ordinary lives.

B) I disagree. Worldbreakers are few and far between and there are more than enough X-Men to handle them. That's why the X-Corps concept worked so well, to me anyway.
    You can't add millions of super-powered teenagers to the world and expect things to just keep on going, ordinarily. Even if most of them just blow snot and only 1 in 10,000 can melt galaxies with their minds, you will still completely destabilize human civilization(which is not necessarily a bad thing in my mind, it just not going to be same old, same old).

X-Corporation/Mutants Sans Frontiers were the two concepts from this era that were completely wasted by the No More Mutants thing, and had this brave new world that Morrison created continued, they would have been the way to navigate this new scene. Hundreds of students at the Westchester mansion is just messy, though, and no one but Morrison actually pulled it off well.
    Last edited by yogaflame; 01-07-2018 at 12:51 PM.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

I think the X-men setting up different schools in different parts of the world would have been the better way to go about it. I myself think that the X-men should have a base outside of the school, that would function for mission purposes and the school be a school. This would open up oppurtunities for some X-men to be teachers at the school instead of the main team being shoehorned into teachers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazpocalapse View Post
    I think the X-men setting up different schools in different parts of the world would have been the better way to go about it. I myself think that the X-men should have a base outside of the school, that would function for mission purposes and the school be a school. This would open up oppurtunities for some X-men to be teachers at the school instead of the main team being shoehorned into teachers.
    That's the only way to do it reasonably.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    I'm just glad Prodigy Tri-age and Gentle got created. Triage was in Uncanny X-MEN I enjoyed his appearance and Gentle will be in X-Men red
    You forgot about Tag. He was repping for the Afro Latinos.. Also dont forget about Shola.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tazpocalapse View Post
    I think this was one reason I really liked New Mutant vs hellions. They had their own culture. Gen X was right in the middle. I wish they would have also had some students at Weschester so that there would have been beef with Gen X kids.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post
    I have no problem with Bishop I like him alot he's my #6 in my X-MEN top ten. It's just he was the only black male for a while and i don't like he used a gun all the time. Jmo

That's the reason he got passed over for xmen evo for that spyke character.
    Sunspot was the first one.. Roberto is the first Black Male X Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    You forgot about Tag. He was repping for the Afro Latinos.. Also dont forget about Shola.
    Tag, with the silliest power ever, who was depowered and blown up? Who could possibly forget such a character..

Shola wasn't created at the schools. Lord Claremont made him in Excalibur.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo_Rage View Post
    Sunspot was the first one.. Roberto is the first Black Male X Man.
    Never forget, no matter how hard Fox(and nuMarvel) tries to make you!

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

I like some of the student characters post Morrison. Overall no. I liked it smaller. Best of the new characrers were x23 cuckoos dust surge and a few others.
    X-Men Forever

K/Y’s New X-Men remains one of my favorite comic book runs period.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    K/Y’s New X-Men remains one of my favorite comic book runs period.
    Have you read Claremont's 50 some issue run of The New Mutants?