Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    Of course I agree with everything, mon amie.

And of course I like the "black sheep cousin from Europe" vision of Doom a lot. You know that, as a European myself, I always tend to think that what we read in those US comics is a kind of deformed version of the true history - some CIA propaganda...

More seriously Marvel should publish a few fake Latverian comics. And Wakandan ones, Atlantean ones... even some from Atilan... It could be fun and imaginative - I'm thinking about the art too.
    Of course Doom would be the hero in the Latverian comics fighting the insidious Fantastic Four. Heroes are always dropping by and destroying his castle and he has to keep rebuilding it!

Quote Originally Posted by The Ray View Post
    The book in which Reed and Sue let their 3 years old daughter under the care of a violent narcissistic dictator that tries to kill them and has tortured their first son is a good book about parenting?

Honestly, I'm shocked!

Why isn't Hickman's name as recognized as Hemingway? Faulkner? James Joyce? Fitsgerald?

If he can write a book about good parenting with THAT premise, he is, absolutely, the best writer ever witnessed by humankind.
    I said about what it means to be a parent and what it means to be someone's child. And once more Val doesn't live in Latveria in that run.

And it sets in a comic book world - which means you have to read it as such...
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    1. They go to the Negative Zone for family fun

2. Healing is fairly normal for superheroes and in the MU it's fairly mundane to not only fix you on the genetic level it can grow extra limbs

3. He's not dead right now and anybody who is still dead will be back soon enough. It's never permanent for a big name and you shouldn't treat it like it is. Also in-universe it's been like 15 years so in-universe he's pretty much dead for a week.
    Wait, I'm not getting #3...when did Sue murder Ben??

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Wait, I'm not getting #3...when did Sue murder Ben??
    IDK but I hope he Watkins tells us cause I'm lost. Regardless he's around now.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

BANNED

Of course not. Dude it's superheroes you might want to suspend disbelief cause some things don't apply.
    That's a bad excuse.

I can think of a number of comic book Super-Hero parents and none of them are as bad as Reed and Sue.

And the F4 are supposed to be the Golden Standard of comic book families. It should be Tom Strong, honestly.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    I said about what it means to be a parent
    Be a parent means loving and educating your children.

If your 3 years old toddler is already a totalitarian lover and has a skewed sense of values, you have already failed big time.

That's a bad excuse.

I can think of a number of comic book Super-Hero parents and none of them are as bad as Reed and Sue.

And the F4 are supposed to be the Golden Standard of comic book families. It should be Tom Strong, honestly.
    You're going on a false premise. The whole point of Marvel comics, if you've ever read a Stan Lee interview, is that the heroes aren't perfect. Right off the bat, the FF get into arguments in their first issue. It's not this smary "That's right old chum" stuff. Reed put Franklin into a comatose state because he was a afraid his powers were getting out of control. They may not be the "gold" standard, and few parents in the RW are, but no doubt they love their children. It's a very challenging situation because neither child is your typical child in the sense that Franklin has uber powers and Val has such an advanced IQ for her age.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 03-12-2018 at 02:36 PM.

That's a bad excuse.

But it's not. The FF are the gold standard when it comes to super-families and are not bad parents. You may not like it but it's the case.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

If your 3 years old toddler is already a totalitarian lover and has a skewed sense of values, you have already failed big time.
    I suspect you've done even less actual parenting than you have comic book reading.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I suspect you've done even less actual parenting than you have comic book reading.
    I can guarantee that my 3 years old toddler will never go to a totalitarian state in another continent without me knowing. She also won't have a skewed sense of values.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    You're going on a false premise. The whole point of Marvel comics, if you've ever read a Stan Lee interview, is that the heroes aren't perfect. Right off the bat, the FF get into arguments in their first issue. It's not this smary "That's right old chum" stuff. Reed put Franklin into a comatose state because he was a afraid his powers were getting out of control. They may not be the "gold" standard, and few parents in the RW are, but no doubt they love their children. It's a very challenging situation because neither child is your typical child in the sense that Franklin has uber powers and Val has such an advanced IQ for her age.
    There's a lot of room between "Perfect parents" and "parents that let their 3 years old daughter hang out with a violent dictator that has tortured her brother when he was a little child".

I'm not asking Reed and Sue to be the former. I'm just expeting them to be better than the later, which is the bare minimum.

I can guarantee that my 3 years old toddler will never go to a totalitarian state in another continent without me knowing. She also won't have a skewed sense of values.
    So you've neither parented, nor read the books. Yet you're going on about parenting in a comic book.

There's a lot of room between "Perfect parents" and "parents that let their 3 years old daughter hang out with a violent dictator that has tortured her brother when he was a little child".

I'm not asking Reed and Sue to be the former. I'm just expeting them to be better than the later, which is the bare minimum.
    I'm not sure why you're asking. it's not like you actually read the books. How would you know if they did or not?

iMan 42s

Actually the definition of a parent is someone who raises the offspring be it their own or not. Love actually isn't in the definition.
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

BANNED

Actually the definition of a parent is someone who raises the offspring be it their own or not. Love actually isn't in the definition.
    I absolutely think that parents should raise their child with love and I'm not willing to change my mind.

A child raised with love will be less likely to be attracted by totalitarian regimes and violent, megalomaniac personalities.
    Last edited by The Ray; 03-12-2018 at 03:16 PM.

iMan 42s

I absolutely think that parents should raise their child with love and I'm not willing to change my mind.

A child raised with love will be less likely to be attracted by totalitarian regimes and violent, megalomaniac personalities.
    Except that you can't use "Love = Less likely to like a dictator" because he raised Kristoff, and it lacks basis in-universe or outside of it. The boy(Kristoff) was indeed Latverian, but the Latverians aren't pre-disposed to liking Victor. How somebody is raised can definitely affect who they view as friends, family, and role models. You're starting to conflate loving parents with the kind of life Val has lived up to this point which has shown Val nothing but Victor being flawed, but loving if only to her.

BANNED

Except that you can't use "Love = Less likely to like a dictator" because he raised Kristoff, and it lacks basis in-universe or outside of it. The boy(Kristoff) was indeed Latverian, but the Latverians aren't pre-disposed to liking Victor. How somebody is raised can definitely affect who they view as friends, family, and role models. You're starting to conflate loving parents with the kind of life Val has lived up to this point which has shown Val nothing but Victor being flawed, but loving if only to her.
    He literally set her mom on fire in front of her.

If Valeria sees nothing wrong with that, she either:

1 - Is dumber than an average child

2 - Has a skewed, broken sense of values

Pick your poison. If 2 is the case, than Reed and Sue have failed as parents.