Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

I like Shocker because he is one of those villains who somehow stays in the race. He's not on the level of Green Goblin or Dr Octopus, but he somehow keeps his head up, but also somehow fails in ascending to the top.

There is something endearing about that. If he is portrayed as an accomplished villain, it kind of robs him of that uniqueness.

There is a lack of such villains in Spidey's Rogues Gallery. Earlier it used to belong to Spot and Rhino. Let Shocker have his day.

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

The Shocker is great because he's a professional. He doesn't want to rule the underworld, he doesn't want revenge on Spider-Man, he doesn't want to build a doomsday device. He wants money.

That's why he's a coward sometimes - the guys who stick around to fight Spider-Man are the guys who end up webbed to a lamppost.

Astonishing Member Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgeek 2.0 View Post
    Attachment 3157

Here's him without his mask on, checking out Beetle
    Wow Norman has the same hairstyle looks like he's suffering from male pattern baldness.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    I want to like the Shocker, but I think the character has had a few strikes against him:

The writers can't seem to decide whether he is a legitimate threat or a complete joke, they pick one or the other.

Also I'm not sure if we ever get any real good character spot light stories with him. We already established he is a greedy thug, but what kind of greedy thug is? Does he have any moral ethics or is he just some scum bag? He supposed to be more professional then other Spidey villains, but does that mean exactly? For example, there was a story where he was willing to kill 12 jury members because some insane mob boss wanted to send a message system (which makes no sense, so that particular boss was off his rocker), so is assisting that particular scheme doesn't seem very professional, if he was professional and just in it for the money, wouldn't he want to avoid that type of crime that would put him on every hero's radar? Maybe more should be established about his professionalism and what it means and how it informs his character.

It might also be interesting to explore why is he a criminal instead of someone who tries to make money legitimately? He seems to have some scientific skills, so it might be interesting to see why he decided to use them for crime, rather then some other venture.
    That I believe is the writers problem like writers that would decide brainiac is a machine, other a alien, etc no consistency it's like let's change the offensive coordinator every game.
    He should be a legit threat. Again hasn't Got his Gail Simone.

If I recall write shield file says he's reluctant to kill doesn't mean he wouldn't ever.
    Other than he's sane and recognizes his limits hasn't been expanded on which it would with the right writer.

That I believe is the damn problem he's a freakin plot decice.
    Seems to me writers think he can be wasted as a plot device, and he's a greedy thug that wants to make money the easy way we don't need to explain anything.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon View Post
    That I believe is the writers problem like writers that would decide brainiac is a machine, other a alien, etc no consistency it's like let's change the offensive coordinator every game.
    He should be a legit threat. Again hasn't Got his Gail Simone.

If I recall write shield file says he's reluctant to kill doesn't mean he wouldn't ever.
    Other than he's sane and recognizes his limits hasn't been expanded on which it would with the right writer.
    Killing 12 innocent people for money seems a bit too high profile and blood thirsty for the supposed sane criminal who recognizes his limits. The crime lord who came up with this plan is clearly off his rocker, it seems more like the kind of thing Bullseye would agree to, not Shocker. Shocker shouldn't be afraid to kill, but it seems like he shouldn't do something particularly blood thirsty, if his professionalism actually means anything besides greed. Let's face it, many Spidey villains are mainly motivated by greed: Rhino, Electro, etc. What makes Shocker different from them?

Much has been said of Shocker's professionalism, but the writers should define what exactly Shocker's professionalism is. It would be interesting to know if Shocker has a professional code of ethics or if he is just some evil greedy scum bag.

That I believe is the damn problem he's a freakin plot decice.
    Seems to me writers think he can be wasted as a plot device, and he's a greedy thug that wants to make money the easy way we don't need to explain anything.
    I think we agree, that's what needs change, we have been beaten over the head that Shocker is a greedy thug, but that is the only consistent element to his character over the decades. There is no reason we couldn't keep that element and add other things to the character.

Killing 12 innocent people for money seems a bit too high profile and blood thirsty for the supposed sane criminal who recognizes his limits. The crime lord who came up with this plan is clearly off his rocker, it seems more like the kind of thing Bullseye would agree to, not Shocker. Shocker shouldn't be afraid to kill, but it seems like he shouldn't do something particularly blood thirsty, if his professionalism actually means anything besides greed. Let's face it, many Spidey villains are mainly motivated by greed: Rhino, Electro, etc. What makes Shocker different from them?

Much has been said of Shocker's professionalism, but the writers should define what exactly Shocker's professionalism is. It would be interesting to know if Shocker has a professional code of ethics or if he is just some evil greedy scum bag.

I think we agree, that's what needs change, we have been beaten over the head that Shocker is a greedy thug, but that is the only consistent element to his character over the decades. There is no reason we couldn't keep that element and add other things to the character.
    Oh,yeah exactly he rebukes hydro man for suggested to kill spider man but then goes along with this. This goes under the same crud of movie sequels of let's have a change to the character with no freakin explanation so simply put it's lazy crud no regard at for continuity writing.
    If I recall right Brody is afraid water yet in jaws 4 he wasn't.
    From what I understand he's brilliant enough to create his own freakin gauntlets and suit in prison that's Tony stark esque creates his suit in a cave worthy. Again smart enough to do that he shouldn't be some punching bag for spider man, and other street level super heroes.
    Maybe other things would be shown if he was give a story arc and taken seriously.
    Rhino is a predictable brawn but not much brains knows it's the only job he's qualified for, electro not a master of his powers of he was he would be a powerhouse.

Making a evil Greedy scum bag is boring, lazy, and predictable. This is a super villain that could be a captain cold kind of super villain. Maybe he has a soft spot for opera, rabbits, Etc.

Like I said this goes under we'll use him as a plot device doesn't matter it shows no consistency to his character because writers haven't shown that to be a concern if it was he would either be consistently a joke, or a legit threat. Like aquaman once was he continues to be a character writers don't care about with no respect.
    In the words of Rodney dangerfield he gets no respect and it's abysmal.
    I'm purposely modified it.

Fantastic Member

Let's face it, many Spidey villains are mainly motivated by greed: Rhino, Electro, etc. What makes Shocker different from them?
    Electro and Rhino tend to get emotionally involved in jobs. They tend to be very powerful but very dim (depending on the writer) and Electro is often written as unstable. Electro is mostly interested in power and revenge whereas Rhino wants money (the reasons shift between selfish and selfless) and revenge. They tend to be written as enforcers.

Shocker generally doesn’t take things personally. He’s powerful and smart but not nearly as much as many of his professional competition or his enemies and he is VERY aware of that. He seems to be in it for the money but I don’t think his reasons have been explored. He started out as a thief but now does a little bit of everything.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
    Electro and Rhino tend to get emotionally involved in jobs. They tend to be very powerful but very dim (depending on the writer) and Electro is often written as unstable. Electro is mostly interested in power and revenge whereas Rhino wants money (the reasons shift between selfish and selfless) and revenge. They tend to be written as enforcers.
    Actually Electro seems far more motivated by greed then revenge, most of his stories start with him trying robbing bank rather then trying to kill Spidey, he seems to want kill Spidey after Spidey stops his thievery. How often has he come with some revenge scheme against Spidey?

Quote Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
    Shocker generally doesn’t take things personally. He’s powerful and smart but not nearly as much as many of his professional competition or his enemies and he is VERY aware of that. He seems to be in it for the money but I don’t think his reasons have been explored. He started out as a thief but now does a little bit of everything.
    But can't we give him another dimension besides that? Is he the type of villain we are just supposed to hate or does he have more defined sympathetic traits? Sometimes he shys away from murder and other times he agrees to the type of jobs that one would associate with a psycho like Bullseye. If Shocker has no real ethics and is willing to agree with jobs that are murderous and insane (like murdering 12 jury members to "send a signal" to the justice system), doesn't that make his professionalism meaningless? If Shocker is sane, why would he agree to such a crazy plan?

Again I want to like Shocker, but I think the writers have to give some dimensions beyond greedy thug. Make the professionalism actually mean something beyond Shocker is greedy.

Sometimes I think that I'm the only dork that actually thought Shocker's original yellow/orange-padded costume - the one that looked like it was cobbled together from patterns off an old 60's convertible couch cushion - was a really cool costume.

Except I know that I'm really not.

BANNED

I like the Shocker.

The reason I think he doesn't get as much attention as other members of Spidey's rogues gallery is that he came in during the "Second Batch" so to speak, after the likes of Vulture and Kraven and Mysterio and Electro and Doctor Octopus and others. They're sort of the "First Tier" bad guys that one goes to when thinking about Spider-Man's rogues, with the Shocker as an afterthought.

His powerset is unique, but it's not as flashy as other powersets. Vulture is a dynamic character with his wings and his visage. Electro's powers give him a lot of variety in how to depict him. Guys like Doc Ock and Sandman and Mysterio are great visual images. Shocker not so much, at least in regards to his powers.

So I think it's sort of due to him coming later, and his powers not really being all that dynamic of a visual to implement that I feel that he doesn't get as much respect as other villains.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMacQuarrie1 View Post
    I like the Shocker.

The reason I think he doesn't get as much attention as other members of Spidey's rogues gallery is that he came in during the "Second Batch" so to speak, after the likes of Vulture and Kraven and Mysterio and Electro and Doctor Octopus and others. They're sort of the "First Tier" bad guys that one goes to when thinking about Spider-Man's rogues, with the Shocker as an afterthought.

His powerset is unique, but it's not as flashy as other powersets. Vulture is a dynamic character with his wings and his visage. Electro's powers give him a lot of variety in how to depict him. Guys like Doc Ock and Sandman and Mysterio are great visual images. Shocker not so much, at least in regards to his powers.

So I think it's sort of due to him coming later, and his powers not really being all that dynamic of a visual to implement that I feel that he doesn't get as much respect as other villains.
    That or maybe they look at his costume and think what's special about this couch wearing man.
    I'll write him as a joke,

Maybe writers haven't thought beyond let's make him some other than a guy that extorts and robs banks. While Lex Luther has gone through changes of being a mad scientist, President of the United States, ruthless evil business owner and CEO It's shocker that seems to remain in a time loop of repeat, repeat, repast, repeat, etc.

Shocker's knowledge of technology should be further explored and leveraged. He made his suit and fist blasters. He knows a lot about technology and science and that is absent from much of his appearances.

Astonishing Member

That or maybe they look at his costume and think what's special about this couch wearing man.
    I'll write him as a joke,

Maybe writers haven't thought beyond let's make him some other than a guy that extorts and robs banks. While Lex Luther has gone through changes of being a mad scientist, President of the United States, ruthless evil business owner and CEO It's shocker that seems to remain in a time loop of repeat, repeat, repast, repeat, etc.
    I don't think you have to make Shocker that different to make him more compelling, he can stay a bank robber, just give him some more character spotlight stories. Most of Flash's villains are just bank robbers and the writers have managed to give them compelling character stories. Let us learn about more about him besides the fact he is a greedy thug, keep that aspect, but add some other things about him? Is he just a selfish scum bag or are there people in the world that he cares about? Does he have a code of ethics? What does his professionalism actually entail? Keep the greed aspect, but add some other stuff.

It also might be interesting to know why he became a criminal in the first place and why he sticks with it. Bank Robbery as a crime is in decline and all the smart professional criminals have realized that cyber crime is where the real money is at. So if bank Robbery is no longer a very profitable crime, why does Shocker stick with it? There are many story telling possibilities to do with the character, if the writers are willing to think outside the box and give Shocker a new story.

BANNED

Shocker vs Electro

I don't think you have to make Shocker that different to make him more compelling, he can stay a bank robber, just give him some more character spotlight stories. Most of Flash's villains are just bank robbers and the writers have managed to give them compelling character stories. Let us learn about more about him besides the fact he is a greedy thug, keep that aspect, but add some other things about him? Is he just a selfish scum bag or are there people in the world that he cares about? Does he have a code of ethics? What does his professionalism actually entail? Keep the greed aspect, but add some other stuff.

It also might be interesting to know why he became a criminal in the first place and why he sticks with it. Bank Robbery as a crime is in decline and all the smart professional criminals have realized that cyber crime is where the real money is at. So if bank Robbery is no longer a very profitable crime, why does Shocker stick with it? There are many story telling possibilities to do with the character, if the writers are willing to think outside the box and give Shocker a new story.
    Yeah with a lot of stuff going electronic vast money is being made from cyber scams, cyber hacking, etc.
    He can still rob banks but it would be interesting to see him make money in other ways to show he's a multiple threat making him a Swiss Army knife super villain for money crimes.
    He's smart enough to make his own suit plus gauntlets I think he's smart enough he knows of other ways to make high amounts of money in this day of electronics are dominating day of age ones that are more profitable than the cliche of rob a bank. Add in banks aren't having their golden days with economy in a egregious state, and a gigantic debt.

Intimidates people specially politicians, CEOs, owners, athletes, and others loaded with money to deposit vast money in a foreign bank account, or to give him money. Since there are dirty or corrupt politicians he extorts from he doesn't see this as something bad but Robin Hood esque.
    Payed high amounts of money by thieves to destroy security systems.
    Even if not illegal still considered unethical.
    Like he hacks into some data system finding out some bad information and threatens to release the information to his or her employer if he doesn't get paid a certain amount of money. Never mind this would follow under blackmail.