Page 40 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Almost wish they went with the first image since it contrasts their last issue more.

~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    It is curious that for the WW Rebirth issue, he also made two versions, one angry and the other the one we all know.
    The first one was done before Rucka signed on to do the book, the changes (snarl to a smile, Ares final design) were requests on Rucka's part.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    The first one was done before Rucka signed on to do the book, the changes (snarl to a smile, Ares final design) were requests on Rucka's part.
    Wait what? Why was Liam Sharp doing the cover for a book that didn't even have a writer? Or did they hire another writer before Rucka?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Wait what? Why was Liam Sharp doing the cover for a book that didn't even have a writer? Or did they hire another writer before Rucka?
    Sharp wanted to draw WW for a while, so he was probably doing it for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Sharp wanted to draw WW for a while, so he was probably doing it for fun.
    Marguerite Bennett (DC: Bombshells) was supposed to be the writer on WW Rebirth with Sharp but was replaced by Rucka at the last minute.

This is what got Nicola Scott since she and Rucka were working on their creator indy book at the time and they needed the other artist for the bi-weekly schedule.

Sharp originally got the job because he heard through the grapevine DC was still looking for an artist on WW and he's friends with Jim Lee so that's what got his foot in the door.
    Last edited by Gaius; 09-13-2021 at 04:31 PM.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Marguerite Bennett was the original writer for Rebirth: Wonder Woman, she wrote the scripts for like 2 issues before being replaced by Rucka.

Pre-publishing, Rebirth: Wonder Woman was also under different editors (I don't recall the names anymore, but they were the ones editing the WW digital books of that time) and Sharp started his redesigns of WW villains with them.

Edit: Gaius beat me to it.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 09-06-2021 at 12:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Marguerite Bennett was the original writer for Rebirth: Wonder Woman, she wrote the scripts for like 2 issues before being replaced by Rucka.

Pre-publishing, Rebirth: Wonder Woman was also under different editors (I don't recall the names anymore, but they were the ones editing the WW digital books of that time) and Sharp started his redesigns of WW villains with them.

Edit: Gaius beat me to it.
    Oh, yeah forgot that bit. I think one of Rucka's things coming was switching the editorial group the WW book was under.

Almost wish they went with the first image since it contrasts their last issue more.

Probably my favorite Sharp cover. Only missing Steve and him doing his own rendition of Circe.

Oh, yeah forgot that bit. I think one of Rucka's things coming was switching the editorial group the WW book was under.
    Apparently Rucka asked to have the WW book under the BM editorial for some reason.

Btw, I checked the names of the original editors: Jessica Chen and Jim Chadwick, they edited the WW digital series and started editing the main WW book with #51 (2016), 2 months before Rebirth started.

Sharp about working with Chadwick and the Cheetah redesign:

MS: You completely revolutionized the look of Barbara Ann Minerva, the Cheetah. We got to see bits and pieces with Nicola [Scott] and Bilquis [Evely], but her character has been a major part of your storyline. What was your thinking going into that?

LS:
    We went through a few stages in the editorial process and I was working with [editor] Jim Chadwick at the time. Jim had a lot to do with that. I can’t take all the credit for it. He didn’t want her to look either too much like a full-on furry or how she had looked.

I got there pretty quickly. I did three or four designs, and in the first one, she pretty much looked like a human with a cheetah head. Jim suggested making her a weird hybrid between a human and a cheetah, something a little more eerie and a little more uncomfortable.

I got rid of the long hair because, to me, it didn’t seem appropriate for a creature that’s all about speed, you know? How does that even work? It also kind of looked like something that should have been left behind in the eighties. She was a little bit hair metal. It slightly made her look like a model that had been body-painted, rather than something truly terrifying.

She’s a cat. And cats have a lot of facets to them. I wanted to be able to do this thing where she could be cute and almost playful, like you could go and scratch her behind the ears. The next minute she’d be pouncing and taking down an animal of some sort, like an elk. Something really fast.

Source: http://www.comicosity.com/interview-...-wonder-woman/

Wonder what Bennett’s WW Rebirth would’ve looked like? Her Diana in Bombshells is well regarded from what I hear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Apparently Rucka asked to have the WW book under the BM editorial for some reason.

Source: http://www.comicosity.com/interview-...-wonder-woman/
    Berganza was still in charge of Superman editorial and Rucka probably didn’t want to deal with his crap again.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Berganza was still in charge of Superman editorial and Rucka probably didn’t want to deal with his crap again.
    Berganza was a "filler" editor for like 6 issues of WW in the middle of Finch's run and that's it. As I said above, the book was under Chadwick and Chen (as Group Editor and Assistant Editor respectively) starting with #51 before Rebirth and Sharp himself cited Chadwick as the editor he was working with for WW.

So Sharp drew this cover for Bennett, correct?

Evolution of Liam Sharp's first WW cover.

So Sharp drew this cover for Bennett, correct?
    Yeah, here's the original tweet.

Huh, so Sharp drew it for Bennett, but he didn't know anything about the story yet?

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    The hell?
    Why is DIana is actinge like Catwoman here?