Page 186 of 212 FirstFirst ... 86136176182183184185186187188189190196 ... LastLast
Results 2,776 to 2,790 of 3171

Re the Captain Marvel movie - I appreciated seeing Monica Rambeau at least. She should be the right age to become Photon judging by MCU time.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Many of the American writers are not well disposed to alpha-male heroes representing other cultures, it tends to be a thing unfortunately. Now I see that this change is to give Betsy a separate identity & codename from Kwannon to sort out that whole racial identity issue I'm suspecting that this is a permanent change, leaving Brian out in the cold. In the Betsy appreciation thread they're already talking about her being the cinematic Captain Britain, which is not something I'd be happy with before Brian has had his shot in the role.
    This really saddens me.

Except that's been taken by Kwannon. Really, Kwannon has copycatted everything that was uniquely Betsy's before the merge, including the name, in order to give fans of the Asian look as close a character as they could get without it being Betsy. So now Betsy has nothing to fall back on and her creative team is looking in Captain Britain's direction.

I actually don't mind Brian giving up the name (I find it a little jingoistic these days), except that (a) American writers have often given Brian the Aaron-Thor treatment, so if they make Betsy actually win battles and not be a jerk, she's going to be perceived as a lot better in the role, which would be very unfair, and (b) with the "Captain Britain" moniker it becomes easy for Betsy to replace Brian in the MCU and take centre-stage in a Jasper's Warp storyline. Which I really don't want.

But there you go, Marvel is pissing in my cornflakes these days.

Mine too

Quote Originally Posted by Milk Tray Man View Post
    Quite. My first favourite hero was the first Captain Marvel so I was unhappy to see him killed off back in the day (even despite the excellent graphic novel) and, despite being okay with the Carol Danvers version of CM I was a little disappointed to see Mar Vell thoroughly wallpapered over in the film. There was no way Marvel will ever let us old fans of CM have anything (except for the hardback reprints of course).

So over the years I've seen them do terrible things with Captain Britain, for which I blame Chris Claremont's misreading of Alan Moore's characterisation.

Yes, that was very disappointing to see. I enjoyed the movie and have kind of accepted Danvers as the current CM in the MCU but they could have done a better job honouring the original Mar-Vell.

Quite. My first favourite hero was the first Captain Marvel so I was unhappy to see him killed off back in the day (even despite the excellent graphic novel) and, despite being okay with the Carol Danvers version of CM I was a little disappointed to see Mar Vell thoroughly wallpapered over in the film. There was no way Marvel will ever let us old fans of CM have anything (except for the hardback reprints of course).
    Pretty much the same story for me, except I haven't seen the CM movie, partly because I knew about the wallpapering over Mar-Vell and knew it would spoil my enjoyment of the movie. I don't begrudge Carol's fans their movie, I'm happy for them, but that really was unnecessary.

From the sound of it, you became a Mar-Vell fan back when I did, in the seventies, and probably at least partly through Marvel UK publications like their Titans landscape-format weekly:

I still think the best printed version you can own of Captain Marvel #17's "And A Child Shall Lead You!" is the version printed in the UK Mighty World of Marvel Christmas Annual 1978:

Mine is falling apart now, but the printing is still glorious. Oversized, and printed on thick, good quality matt-finish paper which reproduced the original colours accurately, unlike the newer reprints on glossy paper.

So over the years I've seen them do terrible things with Captain Britain, for which I blame Chris Claremont's misreading of Alan Moore's characterisation.
    Yes, Claremont really threw him under the bus in Excalibur. He deserved better, hell, we deserved better. At the time I was very excited - I thought teaming CB with my favourite X-Man, Rachel Summers, and drawn by Alan Davis, was the best thing I could possibly hope for. What a horrible shock.
    Last edited by Panic; 07-24-2019 at 02:00 AM.

Speaking of Marvel UK reprints, I think some changes to the Panini Collectors Edition line will be necessary in the near future. Here's what they're currently running:

Astonishing Spider-Man #32: ASM #801, Spec #306, Venomized #3, ASM #67.
    Marvel Legends #14: Iron Man #6, Thor #2, Captain America #704.
    Avengers Universe #2: Avengers #5-#6, #8-#9.
    Wolverine and Deadpool #6: Return of Wolverine #3, X-23 #2, Black Panther vs Deadpool #2.
    Mighty World of Marvel #17: Infinity Countdown Prime #1, Infinity Countdown #1-#2, Life of Captain Marvel #5.
    Essential X-Men #16: Phoenix Resurrection #2-#5.
    Deadpool Unleashed # 2: Deadpool #4-5, You Are Deadpool #2.

Astonishing will be fine. They're starting Spencer's run next issue, can do either Miles, Gwen, Superior, or Friendly Neighborhood when Spec finishes, and Venomized will be replaced by the Venom ongoing. EXM will be resuming X-Men Gold, having already run Soule's Astonishing and all of Blue that was before Venomized. Avengers will surely add either Savage or West Coast soon, and they can run No Road Home. MWOM can run the new Captain Marvel series or start Zub's Champions (they just finished Waid's run of that book last issue). The real problem is the two books with Deadpool. His solo's cancelled, which means DU will catch up in a matter of months. They're a third of the way through Young's run after only two issues (it relaunched when they finished Duggan's run)! Worse, Wolverine has no ongoing announced right now either, and when X-23 ends, they'll have another hole to fill. W&D probably has to go soon. It's existence won't be viable when Old Man/Dead Man Logan is the only recent unused Wolverine solo material.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

From the sound of it, you became a Mar-Vell fan back when I did, in the seventies, and probably at least partly through Marvel UK publications like their Titans landscape-format weekly:
    Fantastic blast from the past. You are right. I remember reading this one at the Doctor's surgery back when they had proper reading material in the waiting room. Later I was able to get US printed Marvel comics from favoured newsagents and Captain Marvel was available at least some of the time.

As for Captain Britain, what a shame Panini weren't allowed to print newly originated material as that would have been the only way to get new, quality, stories.

Fantastic blast from the past. You are right. I remember reading this one at the Doctor's surgery back when they had proper reading material in the waiting room. Later I was able to get US printed Marvel comics from favoured newsagents and Captain Marvel was available at least some of the time.
    Yeah, my parents would take me into town every week or two, and I get to visit the newsagents and pick an American comic from the bottom shelf - I'd always buy Captain Marvel if it was there, but it tended to be quite random. I did quite like that random sampling of American Marvel, though, it was as exciting as it was frustrating.
    As for Captain Britain, what a shame Panini weren't allowed to print newly originated material as that would have been the only way to get new, quality, stories.
    Yeah, the whole Panini/Disney thing is just sad. I know the stories were aimed at younger readers, but it was nice that they were being produced. We've got talent in this country, but unfortunately the American market is the only game in town these days.

I still think the best printed version you can own of Captain Marvel #17's "And A Child Shall Lead You!" is the version printed in the UK Mighty World of Marvel Christmas Annual 1978:

Mine is falling apart now, but the printing is still glorious. Oversized, and printed on thick, good quality matt-finish paper which reproduced the original colours accurately, unlike the newer reprints on glossy paper.
    I have this very same annual. I read it to bits along with the other ones I picked up. I in particular remember an annual with Hulk and Namor on the cover. Mine are packed away in the attic with all my other Marvel UK comics. I remember being shocked when I discovered the Marvel US Annuals. I couldn't understand why they were so flimsy and similar to the floppies. I really thought the Americans should follow suit and make an effort with their annuals.

Yeah, my parents would take me into town every week or two, and I get to visit the newsagents and pick an American comic from the bottom shelf - I'd always buy Captain Marvel if it was there, but it tended to be quite random. I did quite like that random sampling of American Marvel, though, it was as exciting as it was frustrating.
    My brother and i would go down on aSaturday to a newsagents in the Borough Market in the centre of Halifax to pick up our US comics as the local Spar only stocked the Marvel UK comics. I would pick up Daredevil, Hulk and occasionally the Defenders whereas my brother would have his hands full with Amazing Spider-Man, PPTSSM, Marvel Tales and Marvel Team-Up. He was pretty consistent with stock but I do remember picking up one issue of Daredevil in Huddersfield as I hadn't located it in Halifax.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    My brother and i would go down on aSaturday to a newsagents in the Borough Market in the centre of Halifax to pick up our US comics as the local Spar only stocked the Marvel UK comics. I would pick up Daredevil, Hulk and occasionally the Defenders whereas my brother would have his hands full with Amazing Spider-Man, PPTSSM, Marvel Tales and Marvel Team-Up. He was pretty consistent with stock but I do remember picking up one issue of Daredevil in Huddersfield as I hadn't located it in Halifax.
    I could never get consecutive issues of anything, and in the seventies my family moved to a tiny village with only one shop (that didn't sell American comics) and no train-station. Once or twice my dad went on a business trip to the States and bought me stacks of comics - it was heaven.

Today's House of X had two small references to Marvel UK, which I think you will appreciate.

I could never get consecutive issues of anything, and in the seventies my family moved to a tiny village with only one shop (that didn't sell American comics) and no train-station. Once or twice my dad went on a business trip to the States and bought me stacks of comics - it was heaven.
    Your parents at least helped you out My parents had no interest at all. I started collecting the Marvel comics proper around 1980-1981 and then would locate back issues of Marvel UK and Marvel US from the 1970s in second hand book stores or in market places. They really were exciting days. Now, it's a different story.

XCALIBUR #1
    TINI HOWARD (W) • MARCUS TO (A) • Cover by MAHMUD ASRAR
    EVERY MUTANT EVER VARIANT COVER BY MARK BAGLEY
    YOUNG GUNS VARIANT COVER BY MIKE DEL MUNDO
    DESIGN VARIANT COVER BY JONATHAN HICKMAN
    VARIANT COVER BY MIKE MCKONE
    VARIANT COVER BY KRIS ANKA
    HIDDEN GEM VARIANT COVER BY TBA
    A NEW DAWN IS FORGED!
    The Otherworld is rocked by war! It is a new era for mutantkind as a new Captain Britain holds the amulet, fighting for the Kingdom of Avalon with her Excalibur at her side - Rogue, Gambit, Rictor, Jubilee...and Apocalypse.
    40 PGS./Rated T+ …$4.99

TRUE BELIEVERS: X-MEN - BETSY BRADDOCK #1
    Reprinting Captain Britain (1976) #8-10
    32 PGS./Rated T ...$1.00

PUNISHER KILL KREW #4 (of 5)
    GERRY DUGGAN (W) • JUAN FERREYRA (A)
    Cover by TONY MOORE
    THE KREW IS COMPLETE!
    Frank recruits the Black Knight for his mission of vengeance!
    • With the help of the Black Knight’s Ebony Blade, the Krew closes in on their last target.

• The closer they get to the end, the more dangerous the mission becomes…
    32 PGS./Parental Advisory …$3.99

DEATH’S HEAD #4 (of 4)
    TINI HOWARD (W) • KEI ZAMA (A)
    Cover by NICK ROCHE
    Connecting variant cover by JOHN MCCREA
    NUMBER FOUR IS ALWAYS A PROBLEM!
    Death’s Head and his fri—err, associates—are trapped in Dr. Necker’s robot graveyard. Tensions are high, but batteries are low. Will this team-up all sign on together, or log off separately? What does the mysterious Dr. Necker want? And how will Death’s Head learn to text with those big robot hands? Find out in our final issue!

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    PUNISHER KILL KREW #4 (of 5)
    GERRY DUGGAN (W) • JUAN FERREYRA (A)
    Cover by TONY MOORE
    THE KREW IS COMPLETE!
    Frank recruits the Black Knight for his mission of vengeance!
    • With the help of the Black Knight’s Ebony Blade, the Krew closes in on their last target.

• The closer they get to the end, the more dangerous the mission becomes…

Black Knight is American - that book has no connection to Marvel UK, as far as I can tell.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman