Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

I hated this series when it came out. It would be interesting to read is again now.
    Give me Brexit or give me death.

To each their own but I didn't care for the 5YL run at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Forgot to mention that you should not sleep on these two annuals either. The second one especially since it deal with the Dominators and follows up on the Invasion event and had a major effect on the new Legion Lore set up in issue 4.

No love for Annual #1? I loved the retelling of Ultra Boy's story and recasting it with Glorith. For Annual #3, I loved the character bits from the reunion, but thought the story of Timber Wolf fell flat (I never warmed to Al Gordon's writing, Quiet Darkness is my least favorite part of v4).

YES! I am re-reading this run again and it is incredible. One of my favorite runs ever. I was just noticing as well how the Dominators kept earth's populace in line by constantly invoking the specter of the "Khundish menace", kind of ahead of its time in terms of the more recent commentary on how certain politicians push forward their agenda by keeping Americans scared of terrorism.

My favorite years of the Legion before this were the Levitz years, in which Superboy is barely present, so I didn't really mind him being omitted from the mythos. I know some think he was irreplaceable but I didn't ever feel that way. I loved the skulkery of the Dominators and how it all fell apart so artfully. I also loved the SW6 batch and feel DC's biggest mistake was in not using SW6 to their fullest potential and instead rebooting, which the Legion has never recovered from. If they wanted a young legion they could have just followed the already existing in continuity option there in SW6. The only weak spot for me in this run was the Quiet Darkness arc, which was a disappointing "sequel" and just not very well told (sorry Al Gordon).

(personally I would also add the issues that the Bierbaums wrote on their own after Giffen left, the Mordru Arc. It didn't start to get bad until McCraw took over).

For those who haven't seen, Tom & Mary Bierbaum have a blog where they recall specific issues, which is really cool http://itsokimasenator.livejournal.com/

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ultradav View Post
    No love for Annual #1? I loved the retelling of Ultra Boy's story and recasting it with Glorith. For Annual #3, I loved the character bits from the reunion, but thought the story of Timber Wolf fell flat (I never warmed to Al Gordon's writing, Quiet Darkness is my least favorite part of v4).
    I liked the 1st Annual but I really loved 2 and 3. I agree with you about the 3rd Annual in that the Timber Wolf story was not that great, but the reunion parts were fantastic.

Fantastic Member

Amazing, amazing run! So underrated. It should collect as soon as possible. Maybe the best super hero comic book series after Watchmen revolution. First issues are quite abstract and you need to trust the Giffen until everything gets connected. People who dislikes this run talks about it is not "their Legion" but I strongly disagree with that opinion. Legion 5YL has great respect for the past stories and it is a natural evolution for the characters. Ah! So much love for the run.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    i also saw that dc announced he may be working on the legion of super-heroes rebirth. is this something you guys would like to see?
    Definitely. Even at the top of his game (and he carried the Legion alone for many years, and did a great job at it) Levitz was always better with Giffen. I think i'd prefer to see him teamed up with a writer of more modern sensibilities, but, IMHO, Giffen was always a great idea man for the Legion (and I liked quite a lot his unpredictable Justice League 3000-3001 series, recently).

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    If you have not read it you should look for the L.E.G.I.O.N. series that spun out of Invasion. Giffen co-plotted the first year of the series and it has strong ties to his Legion run.

LOVED this series! I also liked quite a lot the last R.E.B.E.L.S. revival.

Quote Originally Posted by ultradav View Post
    I didn't care much for Richard's Case art in the annual #1, but the Bierbaums story was great. Loved that they pictured Jo as a guy with street smarts, who just pretended to be the dumb muscle that most writers portraited him as. Probably one of my favorite Ultra Boy's depiction ever.

Peace

It did not hit the ground running but when I caught up reading 1-11 all at once I was hooked. I think it just needed a little room to grow on me.

I will throw another recommendation for L.E.G.I.O.N. '89, which does hit the ground running and is amazing.

L.E.G.I.O.N. was also really well done. The links to the 30th Century were handled so well. The characterization of Vril Dox II as well was great, and influced future writers' takes on Brainiac Five pretty strongly.

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    hi everyone,

when CW announced that the dominators were going to feature in their DC shows this season, i went looking for comics that feature these alien menace. i came across the legion of super-heroes by keith giffen and tom and mary bierbaum.

holy cow! this series is the stuff of dreams. very solid storytelling, cinematic feel - great respect to the past but also taking some very daring advances. this series feels perfect for a tv mini series or even a movie. it feels very much like battlestar galactica from the sci-fi series.

there is lots of heart and humor but also so much death and destruction. very political, so it seems topical for this day and age.

my favorite issue so far has been issue #19. i was so shocked after this comic that i had to take a short break before coming back to the story.

so all that said, my question is if any of you have read this series? particular if you read it when this story was current.

what was audience reactions like at the time?

if you are a fan of legion of super-heroes, was this a true story for you or did it leave you upset?

i'm still reading the story overall, but if keith giffen ever wants to do another legion book, then please sign me up. this stuff is just so fascinating

also, last - if you are curious about the dominators and want to get to know them, i definitely recommend this to start. you don't really need to understand all the legion history to enjoy the story.

I have the entire run. Bought every issue when it first came out. This is the best Legion series ever imo. It was a shame how they ended it.

Loved 5YL, the Matter Eater issue is one of my favorite comics. Krinkles the Friendly Swine was never shown but I have always wondered who he was and why he was a celebrity.
    I have no beef with Vegans

I LOVED this run! As dense as it was, it was my first real exposure to the LSH and it got me wanting more! I definitely didn't have the reaction longtime fans might have had since I didn't have the emotional connection to the previous series, but I thought it was awesome.

BANNED

This was not my cup of tea. In fact, IIRC, I stopped reading Legion regularly at this point.

I think one of my complaints was the darkness, but also frankly I couldn't keep a lot of the characters straight with none of them wearing their costumes and calling each other by their normal names.

Yes, it is one of the greatest comic book runs of all time.

starting this quiet darkness saga now. i think it's so interesting how big giffen makes the universe. like earth is falling apart but you still have legion people on other planets sort of oblivious to it all