View Poll Results: Should Kylo Ren and Rey be a couple.

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 11.86%
  • No

52 88.14%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Funny thing is that JJ said they were more brother and sister than anything. Question is why people are so fast to put her with Kylo and not Finn.
    Now that's interesting because I saw not one jot of sexual chemistry between Ridley and Boyega. Despite what the latter has apparently been saying on social media.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    I think Fin pined for Rey for about 5 minutes. Got the gist that she wasn't interested and moved on.

There were too many hints throughout the films,for it to be just a platonic interest. Whether it be he numerous ways Kylo has tried to protect her. Or the fact that she admitted that she wanted to be with him if he changed.

There are very, very strong parallels between Kylo and Rey and Beauty and the Beast- especially the live action version. Some fans have also pointed out Darcy and Elizabeth from Pride and Prejudice. A strong love/hate interest coupled with a strong mutual respect, that neither character is going to voice out loud due to circumstances and pride. I am very glad that they never spoke about their feelings for each other. And much of it just came through it body language and action. I never saw the connection between them in TFA, Although in the novelization it does hint that Ren is attracted to Rey and that's why he let his guard down with her in the fight. I heard about the fan shipping, but was shocked that the makers decided to go there. But I think it works in the film to an extent given how it unfolds.
    If there is one thing I'm getting angry about is how people keep calling it 'abusive' because he attempted to mind probe her in TFA.

Rey instead forced herself into HIS mind, twice tried to shoot him - the second time while he was unarmed - slashed his face and shoulder open, reached for a weapon instead of just saying'no', and stabbed him through the abdomen with his own sword - again when he's unarmed.

I wonder if the situation was reversed, and they stood in each other' s shoes, would it still be considered abusive?
    In any case, it's a fantasy for crying out loud. And Reylo haters won in the end, didn't they?

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    If there is one thing I'm getting angry about is how people keep calling it 'abusive' because he attempted to mind probe her in TFA.
    What would you call that.

Rey instead forced herself into HIS mind, twice tried to shoot him - the second time while he was unarmed - slashed his face and shoulder open, reached for a weapon instead of just saying'no', and stabbed him through the abdomen with his own sword - again when he's unarmed.
    Her reading his mind was a side effect of her trying to block his probe. The weapon she reached for belonged to her in the first place (and notice how she left him alive despite coming to). Most of those mentioned attacks were in combat, which would be considered justified (for what it's worth, she considered stabbing him to be a dark side choice). Sorry, I don't see any of this.

I wonder if the situation was reversed, and they stood in each other' s shoes, would it still be considered abusive?
    Contexts would be the same, so I'd think so.

In any case, it's a fantasy for crying out loud. And Reylo haters won in the end, didn't they?
    From a certain point of view (depending on what the kiss meant).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    What would you call that.

Professor X possessed the minds of a room full of people twice in X2. Yet I isn't seen as abusive.

Her reading his mind was a side effect of her trying to block his probe. The weapon she reached for belonged to her in the first place (and notice how she left him alive despite coming to). Most of those mentioned attacks were in combat, which would be considered justified (for what it's worth, she considered stabbing him to be a dark side choice). Sorry, I don't see any of this.

Her reaching for the weapon naturally he would see as an attempt to kill him. Especially as his uncle appeared to have done the same thing.

Contexts would be the same, so I'd think so.

I doubt it. Notice how Rey using a Jedi mind trick is never seen as 'abuse'. Of course she's a'good guy' so gets a free pass.

From a certain point of view (depending on what the kiss meant).
    One kiss. Then he's dead and she's smiling and celebrating with her friends. Wow. She really cared for him, didn't she?

BANNED

One kiss. Then he's dead and she's smiling and celebrating with her friends. Wow. She really cared for him, didn't she?
    If that's what you saw you weren't paying close attention. The last moment before it's cut away to the rebels, you actually see tears welling up in her eyes.

And the 'smiling' with her friends was more about happiness and relief that the battle was over after a very, very, very close defeat at the hands of TFO. Not to mention the fact that the hellish ordeal that had been her life--to this point was over.

I am sure Rey cared about and even loved Ben (which is why she said she would have taken his hand) But that was never her main objective, it was to take down Palpatine/TFO and save lives of others in the Galaxy.

Mighty Member

I don't think it really matters at the end of the day, does it?
    Ben Solo is dead. KK and Ridley wanted it so, because they have a twisted ideal of what it means to be a strong woman - presumably they'll live by their ideals and spend their lives single.
    Supposed Han Solo fans wanted it, ignoring the fact that Ben was his only child, so what's left of Han is dead now as well.
    And JJ wanted to completely undo everything Rian did - and he has, including the shameful treatment of a young actress who was reduced to a bit part to please toxic bigots.
    I suspect JJ Abrams is incapable of telling his own story as the entire film ripped off most of its predecessors. He's also incapable of sticking to his own ideas as he insisted that Ben was the only Skywalker yet now the family name lives on in Mary Rey Sue Palpatine Skywalker, although the bloodline is gone. Which curiously is exactly what Grampa Palpy wanted. Because no matter how you swing it, Rey is NOT A SKYWALKER.

I could change my name to Windsor tomorrow but it still wouldn't make me a member of the royal family.

I really should thank JJ though. He's saved me some money because with the exception of the Kylo Ren comics and maybe the art book I'll not bother buying any SW merchandise again.

Rey clearly didn't adopt the Skywalker name to attain some lofty royal position or with any expectations/ambitions, so that comparison falls quite flat. I imagine, like I imagine most people did, that it was her paying homage as well as putting her Palpatine history behind her. Unless you think her continuing on as Rey Space-Hitler serves any purpose.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 01-07-2020 at 09:29 PM.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    Rey clearly didn't adopt the Skywalker name to attain some lofty royal position, so that comparison falls quite flat. I imagine, like I imagine most people did, that it was her paying homage as well as putting her Palpatine history behind her. Unless you think her continuing on as Rey Space-Hitler serves any purpose.
    I was wondering about her taking on the name of Palpatine as love to her parents. But then again if they put it aside, then she should too.

As to the question if Rey and Ren should be a couple. I had originally thought that it was something that they decided to expand on after noticing the shipping that occurred when TFA came out, as a way to appeal to get more women to see the films.

But I have since found out that it was the aim from the beginning. Rey and Ren's relationship is based/influenced on the one that Darcy and Elizabeth had in the novel Pride and Prejudice. In fact actors who auditioned for Ren's role (in the event that Driver turned it down). Were asked to read Darcy's lines from the novel.
    Last edited by Mia; 01-07-2020 at 05:47 PM.

I thought Rey and Finn should've ended up as a couple, it was disappointing that Finn never got a chance to confess his feelings for her in TROS (I don't buy that Finn was going to confess that he is force-sensitive).

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    I thought Rey and Finn should've ended up as a couple, it was disappointing that Finn never got a chance to confess his feelings for her in TROS (I don't buy that Finn was going to confess that he is force-sensitive).
    Would've preferred this scenario myself.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    Boyega said (in a Tweet) that Finn was not going to confess feelings for Rey whether you buy it or not that is what it was. In the end I'm glad no one really got "shipped-up" it leaves a lot open for the future.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Mighty Member

I doubt if Rey will end up with anyone.

According to Rid!ey and Kennedy "Rey doesn't need a boyfriend."

Presumably there isn't anyone in the galaxy who is a perfect as she is. She"ll be conceiving her own children next.

I doubt if Rey will end up with anyone.

According to Rid!ey and Kennedy "Rey doesn't need a boyfriend."

Presumably there isn't anyone in the galaxy who is a perfect as she is. She"ll be conceiving her own children next.
    Well, her grandfather did ...
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Mighty Member

Just what I thought.
    What's ironic is I actually liked her at first, and I defended her character to a lot of rather nasty trolls.

I shouldn't have bothered. You learn your lessons.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Well, her grandfather did ...
    The story on that keeps going back and forth

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-emp...kin-skywalker/
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting