Thread: Wrestling WWE

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    It's sort of funny how different territies viewed how they should deal with Vince back in the day.

In the Rise and Fall of WCW DVD everyone was saying Crocked would still be in business if they didn't bother competing with Vince and just stayed put rather than trying to expand. But in the Triumph and Trajedy of WCCW DVD Fitz did just that and stayed put, while everyone else was saying WCCW would still be around if they followed their show and expanded.

It seemed as though expansion led to a quick death, while not expanding led to a slow one but the end result seemed inevitable either way.

There is slow expansion like the king Ring of Honor did and what ECW did in 7+ years. And there is crippling expansion that sinks you. Crockett had the south . He had from WV to the Mississippi , to Florida. Its just he needed to slowly expand his product. Being wise to slowly expand out and do cards. Instead he bought a company that was pretty much dying and would have , he started trying to book up North and in UWF territories where he buried that company in a short invasion. I mean Crockett did everything wrong you could then.

Fritz was asked to hold cards outside Texas and he refused. As Kevin said , the show was doing a 14.0 rating in a state like Utah and the people called up trying to get Fritz to run a show there. He wouldn't do it.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    I thought he get hired because balor is still a shit promo and the bullet club shirts made a lot of money.
    so you think he's going to be balor's manager??

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Ain't that what AJ is for?
    to do promo's or sell bullet club shirts??

For most of wrestlings history, I think WWE stars in large part were people that had to work to get into the company. Most guys don't start out working for the top company in the industry. You work towards that. Guys like Foley and Austin talked about how it took them YEARS in the territory system just to get in the door. The upside to that being of course it gave them time to perfect their craft when they were finally ready to perform on the big stage.

Vince went from "raiding" talent from the territories, to getting talent from WCW and ECW after he largely killed off the territioes, to now getting talent from the indies (many of the larger ones essentially becoming the equivalent of territories again). And certainly there's been a degree of homegrown talent developed in there too... but I don't think any point they didn't have a roster that largely was made up of wrestlers who didn't work somewhere else prior to being signed with the company.

That said, I do agree they seem to be in a sort of "talent raiding" phase where they're scooping up the stars from other places. It's like the territory days all over again. But it makes sense I suppose... with the WWE network they likely need to provide a lot more programing and that likely will require a lot more talent.
    nukes point still stands though, it was just a short time ago that hhh was claiming to have no interest in the indy stars and now he's signing and taking selfies with them.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post

nukes point still stands though, it was just a short time ago that hhh was claiming to have no interest in the indy stars and now he's signing and taking selfies with them.
    NXT changed. I said this for awhile. The product they created is more over than any WWE show on the cable network. Fans are not just watching but paying money to watch developmental. Once Takeover went over huge, NXT as a pure developmental was done. You couldnt hide these guys anymore so they could iron out their rough spots.

If NXT is on a cable network in a couple years I will be shocked. Any network willing to pay for ROH,LU, or TNA would pay double for NXT. Its not like HHH was lying(maybe being a bit boastful). They still pick up no name people who dont have indy cred. Its just to put on a touring brand, you need names. You need to tap in to that indy base that loves NXT.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post

I'm doubtful he ever had NO interest in indy talent. Again, I'm sure at any given time a large percentage of the WWE roster were working in the indies prior to being signed the WWE.

But lately he has been signing a lot of high profile indy talent, so there's a shift going on. Why that shift is occuring is anyone's guess, so I'm personally skeptical with Nukes hypothesis that WWE has come to the conclusion they can't make stars anymore so are just deciding to buy them.

I think it's more a combination of a desire to see NXT get bigger and a desire to get more talent and product for the Network.

Incredible Member

For most of wrestlings history, I think WWE stars in large part were people that had to work to get into the company. Most guys don't start out working for the top company in the industry. You work towards that. Guys like Foley and Austin talked about how it took them YEARS in the territory system just to get in the door. The upside to that being of course it gave them time to perfect their craft when they were finally ready to perform on the big stage.

Vince went from "raiding" talent from the territories, to getting talent from WCW and ECW after he largely killed off the territioes, to now getting talent from the indies (many of the larger ones essentially becoming the equivalent of territories again). And certainly there's been a degree of homegrown talent developed in there too... but I don't think any point they didn't have a roster that largely was made up of wrestlers who didn't work somewhere else prior to being signed with the company.

That said, I do agree they seem to be in a sort of "talent raiding" phase where they're scooping up the stars from other places. It's like the territory days all over again. But it makes sense I suppose... with the WWE network they likely need to provide a lot more programing and that likely will require a lot more talent.
    Yes, this is true for a good bit of the history of Wrestling, but over the last decade(more perhaps) WWE hasn't really gone out of their way to get talent from other companies. Especially at the magnitude they are now. IT's no longer to the point where this one guy "Might" be good enough to be on our roster, now it's pretty much full on 80's, "lets grab everybody."

Most of the failed rosters from the past decade have all been mostly from developmental.
    Last edited by The Nuke; 02-06-2016 at 12:22 PM.

Incredible Member

I'm doubtful he ever had NO interest in indy talent. Again, I'm sure at any given time a large percentage of the WWE roster were working in the indies prior to being signed the WWE.

But lately he has been signing a lot of high profile indy talent, so there's a shift going on. Why that shift is occuring is anyone's guess, so I'm personally skeptical with Nukes hypothesis that WWE has come to the conclusion they can't make stars anymore so are just deciding to buy them.

I think it's more a combination of a desire to see NXT get bigger and a desire to get more talent and product for the Network.
    Well that's your personal perspective on what HHH said, because from where I'm sitting he pretty much blatantly said he had no interest in any indie talent just a few years ago.

How is it that all of a sudden that some of the top indie talent WWE should have grabbed years ago when they were younger are now on the roster? This is a shift. You're not wrong about it probably having a lot to do with the Network, but the mentality still had to change. Was NXT getting noticed more when they had more developmental talent or when they started grabbing Indie stars?

Would WWE be showing Bullet Club T-shirt in the crowd a few years ago?

And these stars brought in for NXT will soon effect Raw as well. They're more than likely to bring up a Finn Balor more so than another Bo Dallas.

Anyway, time for more Nakamura greatness!!!

Nakamura vs Ibushi

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3ke62u
    Last edited by The Nuke; 02-06-2016 at 12:53 PM.

Astonishing Member

Vince doesnt think you are a star until you hit up Raw. Vince makes Stars in his mind.

He doesnt care if you are homegrown from NXT(Adam Rose,Ascension,and so on)

He doesnt care if you are big in any other promotion but his.

Brian Danielson,CM Punk, and Tyler Black do not exist, but Daniel Bryan,CM punk (tm), and Seth Rollins do exist.

He isnt going to make a nickel off of Bullet Club. Much like the actual performers of Bullet Club who dont get a percentage of that merchandise.

Hell, he is getting sued over the rights to Balor Club by Baylor University right now.

BANNED

Bull was a jobber....glad to see him go.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTHAIFA View Post
    Vince doesnt think you are a star until you hit up Raw. Vince makes Stars in his mind.

He doesnt care if you are homegrown from NXT(Adam Rose,Ascension,and so on)

He doesnt care if you are big in any other promotion but his.

Brian Danielson,CM Punk, and Tyler Black do not exist, but Daniel Bryan,CM punk (tm), and Seth Rollins do exist.

He isnt going to make a nickel off of Bullet Club. Much like the actual performers of Bullet Club who dont get a percentage of that merchandise.

Hell, he is getting sued over the rights to Balor Club by Baylor University right now.
    I think the fact that AJ Styles debuted at the Royal Rumble (as opposed to NXT) and ended up having a match on RAW with Chris Jericho the very next night likely means Vince considered him a star.

But I think generally speaking most indy stars in his mind are really just talent that 90% of the core WWE viewship has never heard of.

Astonishing Member

I think the fact that AJ Styles debuted at the Royal Rumble (as opposed to NXT) and ended up having a match on RAW with Chris Jericho the very next night likely means Vince considered him a star.

But I think generally speaking most indy stars in his mind are really just talent that 90% of the core WWE viewship has never heard of.
    I think Vince is trying to make him a star.He is pushing AJ super hard, and thats great.

Vince is really trying to find a new Daniel Bryan. Thats what Miz mission was. So I see AJ being in the right place at the right time, but if he cools off a bit, i dont see Vince bending over backwards to push him this hard again.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dogwelder View Post
    Bull was a jobber....glad to see him go.
    Bull could of filled in the spot of King Kong Bundy, One man Gang, or Bam bam, a tough SoB that got guys ready for upper mid card and could be called up to challenge the champs. But that went the window when Corbin came around.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deadxman View Post
    Bull could of filled in the spot of King Kong Bundy, One man Gang, or Bam bam, a tough SoB that got guys ready for upper mid card and could be called up to challenge the champs. But that went the window when Corbin came around.
    Nah. That guy wasnt nearly talented IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadxman View Post
    Honestly I think he was a mid-card guy at best. His biggest niche ended up being more of a comedic character.

I don't think he was that bad or anything... but I think the talent level in NXT raised the bar so high guys like him just sort of came off looking like dead weight.

Extraordinary Member

oh yeah, I not talking about putting the WHT on bull. ( Tag defiantly maybe US in a trans champ)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HUTHAIFA View Post
    The Beautiful People next
    Boo, TBP are TNA originals they deserve to stay. They are on their way out anyway--seems that they are slowly transitioning away to have families.