Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

This was a solid issue, I am curious now what is long term plan for the "New Mutants" book is it going to focus on the group we think of as "New Mutants" or is the book about the Next Generation mutants and everyone young mutant group and character can show up. Maybe it is both with "the New Mutants" being main focal point and younger mutants are the backdrop who occasionally get some focus.

Fun read! I liked it. But I am more interested in the space stuff.

BANNED

This was ok. I’m pretty sure I’ll be departing this book when Hickman does. Brisson just doesn’t get my motor going.

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

I just love that Sage always knows where her bestie- Alison Blaire is at all times. Total bff/fanship

Dear Greta Thunberg, who's future does now belong to? What I'm saying is Hong Kong. What I mean is Beak is busy caring for his dying father. That shouldn't be cured with a drug. Send Elixir. Stay. See what grows when Krakoa is asked to help save the world. Ask Angel Salvador which world.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sungila View Post
    Dear Greta Thunberg, who's future does now belong to? What I'm saying is Hong Kong. What I mean is Beak is busy caring for his dying father. That shouldn't be cured with a drug. Send Elixir. Stay. See what grows when Krakoa is asked to help save the world. Ask Angel Salvador which world.
    I find this a very interesting take, might I enquire a bit further? Are you suggesting these characters should stay outside of Krakoa in the idea of exploring the relationships outside of the island, or for characters who you feel might have a richer story outside, or...? (Genuinely curious!)

Yeah cause a chicken man in his 20s reeeeeeally wants to stay in Nebraska surrounded by his dying father and brood of Toddler ChickFlys.....
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    I find this a very interesting take, might I enquire a bit further? Are you suggesting these characters should stay outside of Krakoa in the idea of exploring the relationships outside of the island, or for characters who you feel might have a richer story outside, or...? (Genuinely curious!)
    Firstly, it's not all my intention to dismiss this ish, as it was well drawn, well-paced, nicely dialogued and readily immersive.
    I commend the team on taking us to Nebraska. It's really great to arrive at Beak's family home in the fields with a down to earth real gravity and it's super great that it's a group of young mutants who take us there.

It's what New Mutants, New X-Men the Youth in X-Books means to me. It's a human sensitivity. Not figured out. Trying out. It's Victor's arm growing back and him feeling this horror and immediately using that same arm...with added strength...to knock a Darkchylde back to her senses...sort of.

It's Kitty Pryde. Illyana. It's dance lessons at Stevie Hunter's. It's the impossibility of the X-Men ever abandoning humankind and the world outside the mansions, utopias, blazing futures, clubs and compounds etc...

These kids keep it real and keep it complicated.
    Illyana in Limbo, X-23 in X-Force circa Sex and Violence and even Logan has to flinch...so bravo Brisson.

Kids should play outdoors. Yes.

Wandering. Maybe bored and as such so intent, but never-the-less, maybe more rooted in the immediate, maybe more in a less desperate though more responsive reaching toward the tenable relationships of intimacy and absence and adolescent idealism (I can nearly feel Glob's sensitive skin...his transparency) of the very nudging wonder that is the stuff of mutation, adaptation, change and challenge and questions (why) that defy the cape and cowl of self-stamped-iconography...like how many times a run can Kitty change her costume...and how embarrassed would she be at sitting through any of her many many many (trying out a self) speeches...(with a ton of awe and respect to Greta T who totally is THE: HOW DARE YOU heroic (re)turning)...?

Um, sorry DDD, I've lost my train of thought. Hopefully, there's something here of something that can be responded to, or helped out...um...

I like it when in trying very hard New Mutants fail (at any age they're all 'new')...Scott...post Phoenix and 05 Scott having just been trauma'ed 20 years worth of (wtf did I do) both standing there like WHO ARE YOU? Not that, but that impossibly essential divide-as-bridge...unburning.

YES!

Yes, I do absolutely believe that there could and ought to be characters who choose to remain outside Krakoa and hopefully outside even a conflict with Krakoa. No Schism stuff. Just a greater field, you know?

What do you think?

There is a certain abduction and abandonment of the X-kids that is the Resurrection machine and the agenda that would manufacture it...isn't there...a very definite lack of faith and trust in the generations to come.
    Last edited by sungila; 12-15-2019 at 12:05 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”

BANNED

Firstly, it's not all my intention to dismiss this ish, as it was well drawn, well-paced, nicely dialogued and readily immersive.
    I commend the team on taking us to Nebraska. It's really great to arrive at Beak's family home in the fields with a down to earth real gravity and it's super great that it's a group of young mutants who take us there.

It's what New Mutants, New X-Men the Youth in X-Books means to me. It's a human sensitivity. Not figured out. Trying out. It's Victor's arm growing back and him feeling this horror and immediately using that same arm...with added strength...to knock a Darkchylde back to her senses...sort of.

It's Kitty Pryde. Illyana. It's dance lessons at Stevie Hunter's. It's the impossibility of the X-Men ever abandoning humankind and the world outside the mansions, utopias, blazing futures, clubs and compounds etc...

These kids keep it real and keep it complicated.
    Illyana in Limbo, X-23 in X-Force circa Sex and Violence and even Logan has to flinch...so bravo Brisson.

Kids should play outdoors. Yes.

Wandering. Maybe bored and as such so intent, but never-the-less, maybe more rooted in the immediate, maybe more in a less desperate though more responsive reaching toward the tenable relationships of intimacy and absence and adolescent idealism (I can nearly feel Glob's sensitive skin...his transparency) of the very nudging wonder that is the stuff of mutation, adaptation, change and challenge and questions (why) that defy the cape and cowl of self-stamped-iconography...like how many times a run can Kitty change her costume...and how embarrassed would she be at sitting through any of her many many many (trying out a self) speeches...(with a ton of awe and respect to Greta T who totally is THE: HOW DARE YOU heroic (re)turning)...?

Um, sorry DDD, I've lost my train of thought. Hopefully, there's something here of something that can be responded to, or helped out...um...

I like it when in trying very hard New Mutants fail (at any age they're all 'new')...Scott...post Phoenix and 05 Scott having just been trauma'ed 20 years worth of (wtf did I do) both standing there like WHO ARE YOU? Not that, but that impossibly essential divide-as-bridge...unburning.

YES!

Yes, I do absolutely believe that there could and ought to be characters who choose to remain outside Krakoa and hopefully outside even a conflict with Krakoa. No Schism stuff. Just a greater field, you know?

What do you think?

There is a certain abduction and abandonment of the X-kids that is the Resurrection machine and the agenda that would manufacture it...isn't there...a very definite lack of faith and trust in the generations to come.
    I think I understand what you mean; there needs to be more of a balanced view, is what I'm getting from you? Or, at the least, a more grounded approach--the everyday stuff needs to be intermingled with the bigger stakes because, as far as our investment in the characters is concerned, each is just as big as the other?

And I definitely agree with the latter point; not wanting to live on Krakoa does not have to equal a Schism type scenario! It's just offering a broader look at the overall narrative, like how you can say "This seems wonderful, but I don't think it's for me for x/y/z reason" and then taking a little glimpse at whatever reasons those might be.

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Commuting betwen "Marvel Future Fight" and ZETSUBOU-SHITA!

Agreed with the above. Really, sungila's written train of thoughts is kind of like mine (when still in my head), except I try to enforce brevity on what I want to say before typing and posting.

I'm just concerned that the plot will mandate the destruction of the Nebraska farm and the death of Beak's newly-cured father to enforce the Krakoa-only approach on him, Anghel and their kids.
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

The Current Hill that I Risk Dying On: #KrakoaNEVERMYXMEN
    "I promise, I'll definitely save you. With my tenth and final life, I WILL PROTECT YOU, MUTANDOKA!" ~HoMoira Kinross Akemi

I think I understand what you mean; there needs to be more of a balanced view, is what I'm getting from you? Or, at the least, a more grounded approach--the everyday stuff needs to be intermingled with the bigger stakes because, as far as our investment in the characters is concerned, each is just as big as the other?

And I definitely agree with the latter point; not wanting to live on Krakoa does not have to equal a Schism type scenario! It's just offering a broader look at the overall narrative, like how you can say "This seems wonderful, but I don't think it's for me for x/y/z reason" and then taking a little glimpse at whatever reasons those might be.
    I'm not championing any changes in the current scripting of NM or the collective new dawn books I've been reading, I really do enjoy how genuinely stimulating they've been. It's great to come thru of every issue with question and anticipation and actual interest in what's to come.

You know DDD, it's been a long time since I've been wrong and better for it and hoping any that determined point of view I'm making about 'my stuff' move past me without damage, while I turn to catch up with a much more interesting thing ahead.

My stuff isn't that interesting to me really...and it's nice to have lost and left it behind.

No way is Morrison and Quietly's New X-Men a place I'd want to live or come from, but it's a very important 'experience' and a significant 'coming of age' rite of passage that feels absolutely acknowledging and 'real' when it's there in the marrow of current x-books.

I do think that by establishing an interior for Krakoa an exterior is created. And thusly is populated. And I'm happy to be out here...you know? Now I kinda feel how truly claustrophobic it is inside Krakoa...and that Krakoa is the 'inside' in the new dawn, and that geography is both figuratively of the body and conceptually on the page (s). So awesome, really. YAY! But, then...carefully...and aware.

Quote Originally Posted by Londo Bellian View Post
    Agreed with the above. Really, sungila's written train of thoughts is kind of like mine (when still in my head), except I try to enforce brevity on what I want to say before typing and posting.

I'm just concerned that the plot will mandate the destruction of the Nebraska farm and the death of Beak's newly-cured father to enforce the Krakoa-only approach on him, Anghel and their kids.
    Yea, sorry, I know. I'm the worst. When anybody actually reads one of my posts all the way through and responds, I actually hear crickets in the shock of the sudden oh so silent...really? And totally forget what I was saying...and really just wanna say...um, yes...um, hi...and apologize for ever saying anything but mostly always saying everything...and then, um, hi, hey...

Hi Lord Bellian who speaks of Brevity (which is really endearing, to mention it)...hi

me too, plot mandates are the worst! I'm against all plot mandates!
    Last edited by sungila; 12-16-2019 at 12:40 PM.

BANNED

I do think that by establishing an interior for Krakoa an exterior is created. And thusly is populated. And I'm happy to be out here...you know? Now I kinda feel how truly claustrophobic it is inside Krakoa...and that Krakoa is the 'inside' in the new dawn, and that geography is both figuratively of the body and conceptually on the page (s). So awesome, really. YAY! But, then...carefully...and aware.
    I do get what you mean in that respect; there is an element of claustrophobia that I wasn't sure if I could put down to the artwork or just the insular approach being taken in general? On the one hand it seems interesting, but it can feel so 'small' in many ways...or with something just that bit unsettling about it that prevents me from wanting the characters to stick around too long? But then, I've kind of attributed that to some of the more religious-like language and imagery being invoked that makes me feel like that--just bad connotations from my own experiences bleeding in and colouring it in a way?

Ultimate Member

Yeah, I'd like to see some of the counterpoint to 'Krakoa is for all mutants' that 'All mutants are *not* for Krakoa.'

Plus all those precognitives gotta go somewhere!

I do get what you mean in that respect; there is an element of claustrophobia that I wasn't sure if I could put down to the artwork or just the insular approach being taken in general? On the one hand it seems interesting, but it can feel so 'small' in many ways...or with something just that bit unsettling about it that prevents me from wanting the characters to stick around too long? But then, I've kind of attributed that to some of the more religious-like language and imagery being invoked that makes me feel like that--just bad connotations from my own experiences bleeding in and colouring it in a way?
    And yet, to define oneself in defiance to a future that one knows or believes to be the end...is heroic...it's also really progressive and mutant...to use time's momentum like the wind...and the world of man like the weather, to shape what's to be....with agency. That's generative rebellion, but also the threats remain in and out, how many end up in treatment for what the immediate world can only call criminal, crazy or sick and wrong...the power of No means just that, no. Conflict and/or conversation...talk betwern cells...and cells are fundimental units of incarceration and life. And you don't have to say no to be no in a group especially where the no is collective and allows for multiplicity of yeses within the NO. Then there's the personal intimate no...a protest that the Great No full of yeses could threaten...
    Last edited by sungila; 12-16-2019 at 06:33 PM.

BANNED

And yet, to define oneself in defiance to a future that one knows or believes to be the end...is heroic...it's also really progressive and mutant...to use times momentum like the wind...and the world of man like the weather.
    ...That's weirdly uplifting in its' own way? Thanks for that!