Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    If it gives Mockingbird, Daisy Johnson, and Abigail Brand something to do, then I'll be happy. I'm STILL waiting for that Bobbi/Daisy/Bucky thing from Spencer's SA run to be picked up on/dealt. Also, this is the perfect time to bring back Victoria Hand. She was cool, her death was incredibly lame.
    Marco Rudy let it slip that Daisy Johnson is in the new Winter Soldier book coming up, so I think Bobbi is, too. It'd make sense since Ales Kot is the one who wrote the "free agents" scene in SA, and he's writing Winter Soldier as well. Although I'd prefer they actually get equal billing instead of play second fiddle to Bucky, it'll be nice to see them in a book every month.

Agreed on Victoria Hand, she desperately needs to come back.

Also, it's funny that people on this thread are bashing Skye as a Mary Sue, when there's probably a much stronger case for Coulson being one. Oh well.

ALSO I'm kind of disappointed that this is a flashy punchy team-up book. All I want from my SHIELD books is gritty espionage and agency politics and intrigue

Ultimate Member

Well a "mary sue" is someone who has no real flaws, at least that's the definition that I've always heard. Coulson and Skye DO have flaws, Skye in particular. She's nearly gotten the team killed on several occasions due to her impulsivity and not thinking things through in fact.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

Yeah, I don't think the term applies neatly to either of them (especially since it's kind of vaguely defined and unduly overused), but something to note about Coulson is that his arc has involved him being praised by everyone from the Avengers to all his coworkers to Nick Fury himself, until the point where he just somehow becomes director of NuSHIELD, which is in line with the attribute of "Mary Sues" getting a lot of praise and reward from everybody around them, no matter what they do. I don't mean to Coulson-bash, but I was just trying to point out how annoying it is that Skye is always the first to fall under attack when you can launch the same attacks on a lot of other people.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Rucka's off Cyclops now too? Now I don't feel so bad I dropped the book much earlier than anticipated.

And yet another look at Weapon X? Well, if it means Maverick somehow pops up, I'll look into it, but otherwise. No thanks.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by responsarbre View Post
    Yeah, I don't think the term applies neatly to either of them (especially since it's kind of vaguely defined and unduly overused), but something to note about Coulson is that his arc has involved him being praised by everyone from the Avengers to all his coworkers to Nick Fury himself, until the point where he just somehow becomes director of NuSHIELD, which is in line with the attribute of "Mary Sues" getting a lot of praise and reward from everybody around them, no matter what they do. I don't mean to Coulson-bash, but I was just trying to point out how annoying it is that Skye is always the first to fall under attack when you can launch the same attacks on a lot of other people.
    Well the Avengers praising him kind of makes sense because he at the very least has earned respect from all of them (except for Banner). I guess it'd be helpful if we got some flashbacks showing us WHY Nick Fury has so much faith in him and WHY Fury would have him specifically try and rebuild SHIELD. The context is missing. I feel like Coulson's role is as the "idealistic" SHIELD agent (which to be fair has been done in the comics as well), as opposed to people like Fury, BW, Hill, Hawkeye, etc who are all much more cynical. Clark Gregg's comments about season 2 lead me to think that Coulson might not be so perfect, and that he'll go through some crap. I'd like for him to have an arc where he sees just how hard it is to run an organization like SHIELD without having to make compromises, and start to question whether or not he's really cut out for the top job.

Fantastic Member

More Punisher would be great.

I'm excited about the new shield series and what it has to offer. I'm pretty happy to see the TV show characters get some comic lovin in the marvel u. As for the thunderbolts, I'm pretty sad that's it's only being talked about still. Hopefully it won't be too long to get a new series underway.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog View Post
    Not really their fault, is it?
    Well, yeah. It is.

Any fan could have told you that comic wasnt going to last. And if we knew it they did too. So why publish something that won't last? Why not put the money and effort into something that will? Like getting Kieron Gillon a really good artist for Iron Man, someone with skill and staying power.

There's thing all consuming belief that quantity is somehow better than quality. And that is almost never EVER the case.

Incredible Member Marvel Forever's Avatar

I guess the Avengers are getting most of the glory in the Marvel Universe these days.

King of the Dragons Mister Ferro's Avatar

That churn with All New Now is getting ridiculous.

Oh boy first off, I hope the SHIELD book is successful and just as interesting as the latter half of the show it is seemly influenced by.
    As for the Mary Sue talk, don't bring it on this section, I bought it up on the Spider-Man section relating to Silk and people went nuts over there.
    Needless to say, a lesson was learned that day...

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Well the Avengers praising him kind of makes sense because he at the very least has earned respect from all of them (except for Banner). I guess it'd be helpful if we got some flashbacks showing us WHY Nick Fury has so much faith in him and WHY Fury would have him specifically try and rebuild SHIELD. The context is missing. I feel like Coulson's role is as the "idealistic" SHIELD agent (which to be fair has been done in the comics as well), as opposed to people like Fury, BW, Hill, Hawkeye, etc who are all much more cynical. Clark Gregg's comments about season 2 lead me to think that Coulson might not be so perfect, and that he'll go through some crap. I'd like for him to have an arc where he sees just how hard it is to run an organization like SHIELD without having to make compromises, and start to question whether or not he's really cut out for the top job.
    I've been wanting that since season 1

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NerdyBird View Post
    Well, yeah. It is.

Any fan could have told you that comic wasnt going to last.
    Fans are about as perceptive as film studio bosses as to what's going to sell. (And are about as smart, too).

Not to mention that they are by no means in any agreement on what will or won't sell....

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by santino27 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stars & Stripes View Post
    Basically, Coulson assembles heroes to help him with the particular mission. Kinda like Mission Impossible, but with superheroes.
    i.e. SHIELD: Heroes for Hire
    Something that Dan Slott explored in She-Hulk after Civil War. Tony recruited Jen for hulkbuster duty (giving her a SHIELD uniform and helicarrier quarters) mopping up after Hulk's baddies. Which was a follow-up to Civil War itself where Jen asked Tony if the Initiative doesn't make all the capes SHIELD agents.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

This Weapon X series sounds promising. After Death of Wolverine I'll be picking that up along with X-Force. And that's about all that interests me these days.

Hopefully we get some more exciting announcements at New York Comic Con in October.