Page 527 of 550 FirstFirst ... 27427477517523524525526527528529530531537 ... LastLast
Results 7,891 to 7,905 of 8245

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Sadly Pete Buttigieg has dropped out of the presidential race. The most successful openly gay candidate in primary history. First openly gay person to win a state in the primary too. A noble effort. Maybe one day America will be ready for an openly gay leader? Hell, maybe the UK will be, one day. Till then... you did good, Pete. You did good.

Pete has a very bright future ahead of him, sad though I am to see him go. He has the levers to get into a cabinet. Indiana, while conservative, is not Texas. Winning statewide is not out of the question for him. There are plenty of liberal groups that will welcome him and enable him to build up his credibility with his weak constituencies.

That the gay candidate was the most boring candidate in the race is a massive marker in the civil rights road.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    I went to see Portrait of a Lady on Fire yesterday. Really, really good.

Oh I wanted to see that! Thanks for telling me you enjoyed it. I’ll try and track it down!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    Pete has a very bright future ahead of him, sad though I am to see him go. He has the levers to get into a cabinet. Indiana, while conservative, is not Texas. Winning statewide is not out of the question for him. There are plenty of liberal groups that will welcome him and enable him to build up his credibility with his weak constituencies.
    The future is very bright for him, I truly hope it's not the last we see of him. Gonna miss his eloquence on Twitter. Such a good talker.
    #TeamMayorPete

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    That the gay candidate was the most boring candidate in the race is a massive marker in the civil rights road.
    It was nice, but... let's not celebrate too soon. He was THE PERFECT non-offensive gay, and people still went after his sexuality. Still questioned whether he was gay. Still mocked his marriage, his love, his gayness even. And he was like... perfection. War Veteran. Religious. Happily Married. It's like in Guess Who's Coming To Dinner? (1967); the point was Sidney Poiter was THE PERFECT black man for his daughter to want to marry. But learning to accept the perfect isn't a testament to whether people are enlightened or not. The true test is if the candidate ISN'T perfect. How nasty would the comments (from all sides) get?

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Oh I wanted to see that! Thanks for telling me you enjoyed it. I’ll try and track it down!
    Vegan's left the building, my love. As for the film, PinkLens just reviewed it and gave it four stars too (a real cool Instagram account to follow, that explores all kinds of LGBT+ cinema from classic to modern, feature to short).
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Well this was fun to read, just found the BFI's list of "the 30 Best LGBT+ Films of All Time".
    https://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/...films-all-time

1. Carol (2015)
    2. Weekend (2011)
    3. Happy Together (1997)
    4. Brokeback Mountain (2005)
    5. Paris is Burning (1990)
    6. Tropical Malady (2004)
    7. My Beautiful Launderette (1985)
    8. All About My Mother (1999)
    9. un Chant Dd'amour (1950)
    10. My Own private Idaho (1991)
    11. Tangerine (2015)
    12. the Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant (1972)
    13. Blue is the Warmest Colour (2013)
    14. Mädchen in Uniform (1931)
    15. Show Me Love (1998)
    16. Orlando (1992)
    17. Victim (1961)
    18. Je, tu, il, elle (1974)
    19. Looking for Langston (1989)
    20. Beau Travail (1999)
    21. Beautiful Thing (1996)
    22. Stranger by the Lake (2013)
    23. Theorem (1968)
    24. The Watermelon Woman (1996)
    25. Pariah (2011)
    26. Mulholland Dr. (2001)
    27. Portrait of Jason (1967)
    28. Dog Day Afternoon (1975)
    29. Death in Venice (1971)
    30. Pink Narcissus (1971)

QUESTION: How many have you seen?
    I've only seen 10 of 30. Eeeeeek!
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 03-04-2020 at 04:40 PM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

That should be Laundrette with an n.

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post
    That should be Laundrette with an n.
    Tell me how many from the list you've seen, and I'll edit my post for ya

(grammatical bribery is the best bribery)

Get Real wasn’t on that list? Bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    Get Real wasn’t on that list? Bummer.
    I've not heard of Get Real. What's it about? When did it come out?

Tell me how many from the list you've seen, and I'll edit my post for ya

(grammatical bribery is the best bribery)
    I think 7.

Only 5. Oh dear I better get to work.

Oh no Priscilla queen of the desert! That’s my fave!

I've not heard of Get Real. What's it about? When did it come out?
    1998. Gay boys falling in love, but one is a sports jock type.

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post
    I think 7.
    YEY! Thank-you (I've edited my post)

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    Only 5. Oh dear I better get to work.
    Oh no Priscilla queen of the desert! That’s my fave!
    Priscilla was in the "got some votes, but not enough to crack the top 30" list. Which is your favourite one? Mine is defo Brokeback Mountain (2015).

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    1998. Gay boys falling in love, but one is a sports jock type.
    Ohhhhhh, looks fun! Love the tagline!

I just want to say hello.

While I'm not LGBTQIA I have supported the cause of those who are most of my life (since I was a teenager). One of my dearest childhood friends is trans, and she (formerly he) had a very rough time growing up in our small town (as you can imagine considering we are both in our 30s). Keep up the good fight people.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I just want to say hello.

While I'm not LGBTQIA I have supported the cause of those who are most of my life (since I was a teenager). One of my dearest childhood friends is trans, and she (formerly he) had a very rough time growing up in our small town (as you can imagine considering we are both in our 30s). Keep up the good fight people.
    Welcome to the thread. Oh, my heart goes out to your friend, it cannot be easier for her in any small town. She won't be the only trans person or LGBT+ person there, but there will be times it feels that way, and that's hard. That's why representation matters so much in media, so kids in that scenario can at-least see some example of "people like them" existing, and thriving.

Welcome to the thread. Oh, my heart goes out to your friend, it cannot be easier for her in any small town. She won't be the only trans person or LGBT+ person there, but there will be times it feels that way, and that's hard. That's why representation matters so much in media, so kids in that scenario can at-least see some example of "people like them" existing, and thriving.
    The experience was tragic. Her father still doesn't talk to her along with some other older people from our old neighborhood. I was called names (slurs honestly) because I took her to our senior prom (shortly after she started her transition) so she would not be alone even though we were just friends. Although I have a wife now who is a biological woman rather than a trans woman people from my home town still think I'm secretly "queer" or "gay". That said, my friend is happy with a good career and is in a loving relationship now.

Edit- This is why I don't care for religious people. Our old neighborhood was mostly Christian with a large minority of Muslims and nearly every member of both groups treated her and then me like ****. Religious people tend to be the most hateful of all people I've found.
    Last edited by Celgress; 03-04-2020 at 05:50 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."