View Poll Results: How do you prefer the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver background history ?

Voters
375. You may not vote on this poll
  • Children of Magneto, mutants from birth

335 89.33%
  • High Evolutionarys Experiments

40 10.67%
Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Relugus View Post
    South of France?

Seriously?
    Yes, Pietro didnīt think it was a good idea either but hey at least he tried.

A place populated by people Magneto would happily beat to a pulp is where he would have a family get together.
    Why would he want to beat them to a pulp? I guess you are forgetting Magneto is from Europe and it makes sense for him to feel more at home there than in other places, with maybe the exception of Israel.

Isn't Magneto supposed to be a revolutionary? South of France is the land of the rich and corrupt and tax dodgers. Same with the Royal motif of House of M; many of the nation's with monarchies persecute mutants and to a man like Magneto monarchies would embody the ruling elite who crush minorities.
    HoM was all about Pietro and Wanda, Magneto didnīt get much a say in the matter. I agree that him choosing france may be random especially given his original trial by the UN right before he joined the X-men was in France but I guess he likes it there? who knows maybe he has one house there or a base of operations, we are talking about a guy who expend years getting ready to make war with the entire world so it makes sense he has a lot of places around the world.

Why would he become the embodiment of ruling class entitlement, the very thing he seeks to destroy?
    Magneto has never given me the impression that heīs a marxist revolutionary whose main fight is agaist the " corrupt ruling class". I think you are misunderstanding his character, his fight is not just about the ruling class but about the effects prejuice towards mutants has over the marvel universe population, be it from the ruling class or from other sources and part of the reason he does this is because he saw how racial prejuice can affect an entire race or etnicity of ppl in their daily lives and end in genocide. He just has been changing the way he is going to go combating this and he has never said heīs some kind of hero or revolutionary for being the way heīs, his character is a lot more self aware than that, hell he has sometimes made use of his "monster" reputation when it fits his agenda.

But of course monarchy is all about inheritance of power...its the virility theme yet again, isn't it?
    I donīt know if itīs about the virility theme but even if it was the monarchy of M talks a lot more about Pietro and Wanda issues than Magneto imo given it was their world not his.

Edit:

On the other hand I agree with you that most writers in fact make very little effort to tackle mother-daughter, mother-son and sister-sister relationships especially in the comics medium, maybe itīs because they donīt know how to go about that because itīs hard for them to imagine the female perspective without adding a lot of cliches, I agree it would be refreshing to see the Mother, daughter, sister perspective but this doesnīt necessarily means the male relationships, the father-daughter, brother-sister, should be seen as unimportant or just a projection of the male writer, both perspectives are part of life and the foundation of society so it makes sense to tackle both especially if writers really want to add any kind of realism to their story.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 12-13-2019 at 09:51 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Spectacular Member

Magda being treated as worthless non entity isn't that far fetched considering she most likely is. Instead of providing and having comfort in each other after Max avenged their daughter, she chooses to run away and also calls him a monster? And considering she already saw him killing the oppressor before, it seems that the "monster" was supposed to mean "mutant".
    Magneto 000 (05).jpg
    Magneto 000 (13).jpg

Fathers don't really play that big of a role in their children's lives, and are in most cases incompetent and negligent. My father, for example, cares much more about his ducks and birds and his money than he does about me. Fathers just don't care as much as mother's.
    It's maybe a matter of generation: my father didn't play a big role in my education neither. It's not a matter of care, though, it's just reproducing a model that has been taught to him.

Fathers and sons have a complex dynamic, whereas fathers and daughters have no dynamic as they are different genders and thus have nothing in common. This is proven by how dull father daughter interaction is compared to the far, far more written about and explored father and son dynamic.
    Hence why Magneto and Pietro is interesting in its use of all the classioc father/son tropes, while Magneto and Wanda is snore-inducing, a vacuum of nothing. Lorna has common ground and interests with Magneto, hence their interactions are so much better.
    Magneto has always been much tough towards Pietro than Wanda. Some image of virility, maybe…

Its the narcissism of male writers that emphasises Magneto while reducing Wanda and Pietro's mother to a worthless non-entity (Magda), and a one-off guest star (Natalya). I wonder why male writers think Magneto is important whereas the mother is clearly just trash to them, is it because it makes them feel more important?

Magda has been ignored by every writer of Magneto, which casts doubt on the family ties being anything more than a cheap gimmick.

Magda was apparently so massively important to Magneto that she was barely mentioned at all in comics for decades, suggesting that she was pumped and dumped by him. Magda is one of the most singularly pointless characters ever to briefly appear in comics, a narrative prostitute who is used and gone. House of M underlines and makes official Magda's total irrelevance by her total absence.
    Claremont has used Madga, though: the shadow of the lost love in the tragic life of Magneto.

The primary purpose of making Wanda and Pietro into Magneto's children was IMHO primarily to establish Magneto's virility.
    Another purpose could be reminding that, for all Magneto's talk about 'his people', Magneto has an history of 'simple human' lovers.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

South of France?

Seriously?
    A place populated by people Magneto would happily beat to a pulp is where he would have a family get together.

Isn't Magneto supposed to be a revolutionary? South of France is the land of the rich and corrupt and tax dodgers.
    LOL. I was born in the South of France. On the seaside, there are many places for rich people but the rest is populated by people not so rich.
    And the hinterland is quite empty and peaceful.
    Maybe Magneto loves sunny weather…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Fathers don't really play that big of a role in their children's lives, and are in most cases incompetent and negligent. My father, for example, cares much more about his ducks and birds and his money than he does about me. Fathers just don't care as much as mother's.

Fathers and sons have a complex dynamic, whereas fathers and daughters have no dynamic as they are different genders and thus have nothing in common. This is proven by how dull father daughter interaction is compared to the far, far more written about and explored father and son dynamic.
    Hence why Magneto and Pietro is interesting in its use of all the classic father/son tropes, while Magneto and Wanda is snore-inducing, a vacuum of nothing. Lorna has common ground and interests with Magneto, hence their interactions are so much better.

Its the narcissism of male writers that emphasises Magneto while reducing Wanda and Pietro's mother to a worthless non-entity (Magda), and a one-off guest star (Natalya). I wonder why male writers think Magneto is important whereas the mother is clearly just trash to them, is it because it makes them feel more important?

Magda has been ignored by every writer of Magneto, which casts doubt on the family ties being anything more than a cheap gimmick.

Magda was apparently so massively important to Magneto that she was barely mentioned at all in comics for decades, suggesting that she was pumped and dumped by him. Magda is one of the most singularly pointless characters ever to briefly appear in comics, a narrative prostitute who is used and gone. House of M underlines and makes official Magda's total irrelevance by her total absence.

The primary purpose of making Wanda and Pietro into Magneto's children was IMHO primarily to establish Magneto's virility.
    It was to establish that he had been a family man at one point. It was also to provide cover for the twins. They’ve been blaming their hangups on daddy for over a decade. They never attributed any of it to Magda.

BANNED

What are they supposed to blame on a dead woman and not the living abusive psychopathic magnetic supremacist?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    It was to establish that he had been a family man at one point. It was also to provide cover for the twins. They’ve been blaming their hangups on daddy for over a decade. They never attributed any of it to Magda.
    Because he was abusive to them, and even tried to kill them (and did kill Pietro). They don't have hang ups for nothing. Mags being good now doesn't whitewash who he has been at times towards them. Magda doesn't get blame, because she didn't do anything but give birth and run away because she didn't want Mags finding her or the twins.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by adamTPTK View Post
    Magda being treated as worthless non entity isn't that far fetched considering she most likely is. Instead of providing and having comfort in each other after Max avenged their daughter, she chooses to run away and also calls him a monster? And considering she already saw him killing the oppressor before, it seems that the "monster" was supposed to mean "mutant".
    Magneto 000 (05).jpg
    Magneto 000 (13).jpg
    I think this was most likely to convey a sensitivity toward killing. Not necessarily who he was killing. Just that he was being violent and it scared her. I don't think they ever mentioned that she hated mutants or anything. She was just frightened. It was probably a poor example for them to use for heel turn towards villainy though. But a lot that was written about Mags then was an attempt to humanize him. Because he was just basic villain until then.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    Because he was abusive to them, and even tried to kill them (and did kill Pietro). They don't have hang ups for nothing. Mags being good now doesn't whitewash who he has been at times towards them. Magda doesn't get blame, because she didn't do anything but give birth and run away because she didn't want Mags finding her or the twins.
    I mean a little bit of tough love never hurt.

Look at how well they turned out?Avengers, heroes, dating Royalty etc. Did they ever even give him a fathers day card?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Because Magda was a plot device, not a character. It's clear Magneto didn't love her because he never mentions her. She was a prostitute, basically. She was of absolutely zero importance. Her non-appearance in HoM makes it official that she is an irrelevance.

Natalya, in James Robinson's solo, was the first time Marvel made any effort giving any importance to the twins mother.

What a surprise that male writers such as Claremont and Bendis make it all about the father and erase the mother, while waxing endlessly about the fathers man-pain.

With the mother officially a worthless non-entity is why Pietro's dynamic with Mags is far deeper, and was always the priority of the writers.

Daughters are of course shaped by, and take after, or oppose, their mothers, and with no mother of any worth in the narrative, there's an empty vacuum of dullness.
    Last edited by Relugus; 12-14-2019 at 10:33 PM.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Claremont has used Madga, though: the shadow of the lost love in the tragic life of Magneto. Another purpose could be reminding that, for all Magneto's talk about 'his people', Magneto has an history of 'simple human' lovers.
    She was also his childhood crush in a way she represents the life Magneto had when he was trying to be a normal person, when he was still Magnus/Max.

"To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

I think Relugus has a point about Magda not being treated very meaningfully as a character in her own right. Of course this is because she is a difficult-to-implement and sort of complicated retcon to give Magneto more depth. And she is a "mere" human being and all that stuff... going over the top calling her a prostitute though, and too many absolutist generalizations about male writers and total neglect of women in relationships.

If Magneto had a healthy, alive and long-term wife or whatever I don't think it would be feasible for him to have been the "insane megalomaniac" he was portrayed as initially in the 60s books. So Magda could never function that way. Now, should she be remembered by him or others more, etc, yeah.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Because Magda was a plot device, not a character. It's clear Magneto didn't love her because he never mentions her. She was a prostitute, basically. She was of absolutely zero importance. Her non-appearance in HoM makes it official that she is an irrelevance.

Natalya, in James Robinson's solo, was the first time Marvel made any effort giving any importance to the twins mother.
    I don't agree with this at all. I feel like Mags expressed a lot of regret over what all happened and scaring Magda away in Children's Crusade. And the prostitute thing is way off, wow. What happened earlier in Mags' life is a sore spot for him. He lost his daughter Anya in a very violent and hateful way. Him striking back against the ones that attacked her cost him his wife. Mags definitely has flaws but one of them definitely is not treating his wife like a "prostitute" or not loving her. I think he loves his family. He's just horrible dad.

And they didn't really treat Natalya any better. Not Wanda nor Pietro ever got to know her while she was alive, were not raised by her, and she was then killed. Wanda got to talk to both spirits of her mothers. Magda in X-Statix and Natalya in her solo book. Both had some story but not a lot. And we still don't know who the father is, so we don't know who killed Natalya. Just like we don't really know what killed Magda. We can only believe she succumbed to exposure after running off into the winter on Mount Wundagore.
    Last edited by GenericUsername; 12-15-2019 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    I mean a little bit of tough love never hurt.

Look at how well they turned out?Avengers, heroes, dating Royalty etc. Did they ever even give him a fathers day card?
    That is in spite of Magneto not because of him.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    1.I think this was most likely to convey a sensitivity toward killing. Not necessarily who he was killing. Just that he was being violent and it scared her.
    2.I don't think they ever mentioned that she hated mutants or anything. She was just frightened.
    3.It was probably a poor example for them to use for heel turn towards villainy though. But a lot that was written about Mags then was an attempt to humanize him. Because he was just basic villain until then.
    1.As shown, she didn't mind him killing beforehand.
    2.Of course not, that's something that I think was left ambiguous for a reason. Did she call him a monster because he killed all these people, or it's because he isn't human? But when you consider the retrospect, it does throw a shade on her. "You threw lightning from you eyes...you are not human...you've become a monster". Yeah...
    3.I actually think it was a sound success. As celebrated as Claremont's origin for Magneto is, I think it can't get enough praising because such a level of poignancy and subtlety is rarely seen in comics. Making a completely dimensionless, second rate villain like SA Magneto into one of the most complex characters written? That requires some extra talent. It took a lot to twist him into the bug eyed madman and worst of humanity is wholesomely responsible. We create our own monsters. Holocaust taught him submission, hate, apathy and loss. The lynchers added fear to all of that, and Magda contributed with abandonment. But it wasn't until his imbalanced and rough usage of power that finished the twisting of his brain all while CIA showed him humanity will never learn, only then, as Claremont symbolically put it "the dream died and nightmare was born."
    Last edited by adamTPTK; 12-15-2019 at 07:40 AM. Reason: typo