Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Age of X-Man: NextGen #3 (spoilers/discussion)

I keep trying to figure out why I don't like this title more. I mean, the art's fantastic, there's a good amount of urgency to the plot, and it has a few characters I like. But I think it all comes down to everything revolving around Glob Herman. The AoXM books I'm really enjoying - Nightcrawler, Prisoner X, The X-Tremists - are all character dives, whereas the only character who really matters here is Glob. Everyone else is kind of interchangeable (save plot devices like Brisson's creepy twins). Like, give Santo's lines to Meggan and vice versa. Or make Vic the initial skeptic and Armor the rebel. It wouldn't make a huge amount of difference or read as "wrong" because none of their 616 characterization is given enough attention to reverberate here. The central facet to this book is Glob's relationship to characters he barely interacted with previously, so it just doesn't have the impact that some of the other books have. I'm still liking it OK, for all the factors mentioned above, but there just aren't a lot of emotional stakes here for me.

All that said, there were some good moments in this issue. Skids and Jeffries messing with Rockslide's head was very well done. Shiro's creepy, heavy-handed "Just-Say-No-To-Unveil" presentation was right out of 80's-era drug PSAs, and I don't think for a second that was an accident. (I wonder if Nightcrawler's studio provided the child actress for that bit.) Pixie freaking out about Armor being on drugs, then deciding that no, Armor's actually dealing drugs while being in an illegal relationship with Anole and she has to save them from themselves was both hilarious and sad. Not so keen on Anole seemingly being an idiot with regard to his vandalism, though, especially after Disassembled, but we'll see how that plays out.

On balance, I'd say still worth picking up, especially for To's artwork.

This issue was more about the other characters than Glob.
    Rockslide, Pixie, Hisako and Anole were the main characters.

Santo being an studious and start questioning his believes with his researches is a pretty cool analogy.
    Because that's a process most of us pass through.

Anti-unveil campaign at school was a good analogy too.
    Pixie reaction was hilarious.

Maxin and Manon are clearly the spies here. We see them when Hisako and Herman confront Anole.
    We see them when Rockslide is talking to Jeffries.
    And we see them manipulating Pixie.
    Could they be Nate's projections even before AotX?

Pretty solid title.
    With X-force fail, I would love to see a New X-men title by Brisson after the event.

I noticed the twins kept appearing in the background. Wonder what role they will play in later issues

Love that Angel appeared and looks to be about to play more of a role

Out of all the AoX books, this is the one I've been enjoying most. The others are just sort of slowly unfolding where this one has a sense of urgency and mystery I've been enjoying a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    Out of all the AoX books, this is the one I've been enjoying most. The others are just sort of slowly unfolding where this one has a sense of urgency and mystery I've been enjoying a lot.
    Yeah, it feels like Marvelous and the Nightcrawler solo are stalling a little bit in the their third issues, and I expect we'll see the same with The X-Tremists and X-Tracts. This book has kept a more even pace.

I disagree with the OP - Armor, Anole, and Pixie are all showing out here in addition to Glob and they’re getting juicier characterization than they have in recent memory. I care about their dynamic with each other more than I do any other team book and there’s an urgency to their gravitational pull to each other that even exceeds my fave AoXM book (Prisoner X). Its a coming together of a community because things aren’t right and I think its exciting to see that unfold.

I'm feeling glad to have ordered this book. Santo, Armor, Pixie have been making this the dream book, Glob's ok.

Anole...he's more or less driving the plot so far. Also we finally see Angel. Can't wait to see if Arcangel might appear.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    I'm feeling glad to have ordered this book. Santo, Armor, Pixie have been making this the dream book, Glob's ok.

Anole...he's more or less driving the plot so far.
    I know it's weird, but Disassembled had the positive impact of getting me hyped for these kids. I had no idea who they were and didn't care before then. Now, they're some of my absolute favorites, particularly Pixie, Armor, and Glob.

BANNED

Got to disagree with you there, Anduinel. I think this was the issue that showcased more of the other students than Glob. Rockslide's part was particularly good. And Pixie seeing all the symptoms of being a junkie in Armor was funny as hell.

I love this book and the fact that it didn't get weaker with the third issue. God bless Brisson.

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    Got to disagree with you there, Anduinel. I think this was the issue that showcased more of the other students than Glob. Rockslide's part was particularly good. And Pixie seeing all the symptoms of being a junkie in Armor was funny as hell.

I love this book and the fact that it didn't get weaker with the third issue. God bless Brisson.
    To clarify: The other students got more spotlight in this issue, but Glob is still the lynchpin of this series. Which isn't false advertising or anything, we knew what the deal was going in, but it's just not working for me.

I don't know who this green hobgoblin is but it's not Anole

Hisako is so cute with her short cut. lol

Astonishing Member

This book is pretty great, and I don't mind Glob getting the spotlight.

He never had telepathy immunity, I wish she gave a more detailed explanation of how he prevents being constantly mindwiped. Perhaps his memories are also recorded in the wax.

The wax just blocks TP. Maybe it's a recent secondary mutation? Anyway, that's why he waxed Hisako, which prompted her haircut.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I knew before I opened the book that it would be the same plot again and nothing would really happen.
    How did we get 6 issues of every book? There’s barely a plot here.