Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

hopefully she sticks around I am going to assume she is the anti harley in terms of a relationship with Joker like he actually respects her unlike with Harley. I do expect her to lose to Harley at every opportunity though
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Emma was right

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    only a few issues out but all the hype for this character was overblown.
    She has boobs and outdated anime haircut, this is all that matters.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

It's kinda surprising that after nearly 3 decades Joker gets a new henchman; I supposed it is similar to Mercy with Lex

Quote Originally Posted by Gamall View Post
    She has boobs and outdated anime haircut, this is all that matters.
    There's nothing really anime about her haircut. You could argue the different hair color thing is anime, but that's a dye job not a haircut.

But yes she has boobs.

I fail to see what the hype, and especially the issue speculation, was about.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

After reading her origin in The Joker 80th anniversary issue, I can honestly say she is one of the more insufferable characters I’ve ever seen. It was fake angsty edgelord crap. Tynion seemed like he wanted her to come off as someone fed up with society but she came off more like an internet troll, wanting to spread hate and violence because the world is too mean or fake. I would call this a paint by numbers approach to being edgy, but it wasn't even that. But hey, she’s got a Bettie Page haircut, big boobs, and a faux punk wardrobe so let’s put her on a bunch of covers.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    After reading her origin in The Joker 80th anniversary issue, I can honestly say she is one of the more insufferable characters I’ve ever seen. It was fake angsty edgelord crap. Tynion seemed like he wanted her to come off as someone fed up with society but she came off more like an internet troll, wanting to spread hate and violence because the world is too mean or fake. I would call this a paint by numbers approach to being edgy, but it wasn't even that. But hey, she’s got a Bettie Page haircut, big boobs, and a faux punk wardrobe so let’s put her on a bunch of covers.
    I haven't read it, but it wouldn't surprise me if her coming off as an internet troll was intentional. They're a problem, and making one a legit villain has its merit.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I haven't read it, but it wouldn't surprise me if her coming off as an internet troll was intentional. They're a problem, and making one a legit villain has its merit.
    That was my thought. I haven't read the issue either (and don't plan to) but if Punchline is basically just an internet d-bag troll......then doesn't that basically just make her like all those real fools who decided Joker was their hero after his movie came out?

I've barely paid attention to this new character and haven't read any of her material, but if she's basically a meta-commentary on the kind of incel guys who think Joker's got the right of things...then that's a pretty topical and interesting take. At least potentially anyway, like I said I haven't read the books yet.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ya, i can't tell if how Punchline comes off is intentional or not. Like is she generational commentary, a warped parody on certain current generational sensibilities, or is she a product of it. Also it'll be interesting to see how competent she actually is. Like are they gonna make her someone who can actually go toe to toe with someone likes Deathstroke, or is she something who just thinks she can go toe to toe with Deathstroke. Right now im not sure if she's the next Joker's Daughter if you know what i mean.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 06-11-2020 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I think that would only be interesting if she has a real character arch where she realizes that being a cynical d-bag for the sake of being a d-bag is not the way to live her life. Otherwise it’s just stupid that DC is promoting the hell out of this new “breakout character!” who embodies some of the worst aspects of modern society. Yeah the Joker is a murdering monster but at least he’s an interesting character. So far Punchline just seems like a bad parody of a millennial troll.

Below is quote on Punchline from Tyrion. It seems it is intentional. She represents the younger generation being radicalized by the internet

“In the world we’re living in right now, we’re seeing a lot of young people who get radicalized to really dangerous ideologies online,” says Tynion in a chat about Punchline’s origin story in The Joker 80th Anniversary 100-Page Super Spectacular (available June 10). “Imagine a world in which the Joker exists and [the] people out there who think that the Joker’s brand of chaos actually does reveal the insanity of how the world is built,” he continues. “…people who would really attach themselves to that ideology and what it would twist them into and how that would affect the people in their lives as they are lost to this very dangerous ideology that doesn’t add up.”

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    Below is quote on Punchline from Tyrion. It seems it is intentional. She represents the younger generation being radicalized by the internet
    I kind of wonder if this won't just date her a little...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I kind of wonder if this won't just date her a little...
    I guess that'll depend on how culture grows and evolves and changes, and what other kinds of elements are in Punchline's makeup that can be emphasized over the "idiot kid being radicalized by modern America" when/if that motif falls by the wayside.

Like I said, I haven't read any of the comics so I'm just going off what I'm hearing online and a few scans I've seen. But looking at the quote from Tynion that dreyga posted it seems like Tynion is making these parallels on purpose. So I feel like, I dunno, if he really wanted to be on the nose about it Punchline should've been some incel, beta male jackass who blames everyone else for his problems.

But maybe that would've been *too* on the nose.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

“In the world we’re living in right now, we’re seeing a lot of young people who get radicalized to really dangerous ideologies online,” says Tynion in a chat about Punchline’s origin story in The Joker 80th Anniversary 100-Page Super Spectacular (available June 10).
    Young people?

The epidemic started with middle aged and older people, and is arguably the worst among them.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

She's very busty.