Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Default Wonder Woman & The Justice Society of America - SPOILERS

SPOILERS:

The Justice Society of America(World War II version) will be returning September's Justice League of America #31. With Dr. Manhattan's Rebirth cleansing continuity, how would you like to see this affect Wonder Woman's relationship with the Justice Society? Should Diana join the team in 1942 like she originally did Pre-Crisis? Should Hippolyta go back in time and fight alongside the JSA like she did in John Byrne's run on Wonder Woman? Should the JSA be completely absent of a Wonder Woman-related member? Share your opinions below.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I wouldn't mind an Amazon being with the JSA, not necessarily Diana or Hippolyta. There's been a precedence set in the new 52 of other Amazons being out in the world. Perhaps this would be a good way to bring the golden age Fury into the mix with a decent story connecting her to the Amazons? Whatever happened to the one that was in Demon Knights? What about Hessia (who was in the Superman/Wonder Woman series and the Odyssey of the Amazons mini). There's plenty of options.

Wouldn't bother me if Diana had roots with the JSA in the 40s. I absolutely do not want the Hippolyta time travel stuff in though.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    I wouldn't mind an Amazon being with the JSA, not necessarily Diana or Hippolyta. There's been a precedence set in the new 52 of other Amazons being out in the world. Perhaps this would be a good way to bring the golden age Fury into the mix with a decent story connecting her to the Amazons? Whatever happened to the one that was in Demon Knights? What about Hessia (who was in the Superman/Wonder Woman series and the Odyssey of the Amazons mini). There's plenty of options.

Hessia would be an interesting substitution for Diana in the JSA. She could be the JSA's first female member and their first non-Caucasian member plus her mystical armor would add some nice visuals to the JSA's early roster.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Wouldn't bother me if Diana had roots with the JSA in the 40s.
    Just another way to make Diana's origin / history even more screwed up, though, unless they rewrite Justice League to indicate that Diana was active as a "superhero" more than fifty years prior to Kal or Bruce first doning their capes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I absolutely do not want the Hippolyta time travel stuff in though.
    While it served the purpose of giving us back a "Golden Age" Wonder Woman in post-CoIE continuity, it would probably be way too convoluted to bring it back now.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Just another way to make Diana's origin / history even more screwed up, though, unless they rewrite Justice League to indicate that Diana was active as a "superhero" more than fifty years prior to Kal or Bruce first doning their capes.

While it served the purpose of giving us back a "Golden Age" Wonder Woman in post-CoIE continuity, it would probably be way too convoluted to bring it back now.
    I think the New 52 origin of the JL is on the way out as it is anyway.

Incredible Member

If they're willing to rewrite the entirety of their continuity again, then I would be happy to see Diana as a member of the Justice Society.

But, a logical consequence of that should be that Diana is *the* leader of the Justice League, given that she'd have almost 60 years (IF not more, depending upon when she first left Themyscira) experience in superheroics, not to mention her Amazonian training as a princess / diplomat, military leader and scientist.

I'm not sure what that would mean for her origin story and characters like Steve Trevor and possibly Etta Candy. I don't know whether the benefit of Wonder Woman existing in man's world since WW2 (or earlier, for example, WW1) outweighs the loss of Steve Trevor as a main supporting character in her "present day" stories - IF her origin story includes Steve Trevor and not someone else crashing onto the island.

I don't think it is necessary.

Astonishing Member

Okay, here's a crazy idea...how about having Diana be the one who time-travels and becomes part of the JSA?

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Okay, here's a crazy idea...how about having Diana be the one who time-travels and becomes part of the JSA?
    But they would also need a good reason for why she does that, and how long does she remain in the past to do that?

I prefer another Amazon take her place in the JSA.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I prefer another Amazon take her place in the JSA.
    But then DC has to explain how she left Themyscira and why Diana never seemed aware of her, etc.

Honestly, they shouldn't have "another Amazon" have done the Diana-bit some +/-sixty years earlier. That would chip away at the things that made Diana special and truly unique.

I honestly didn't mind Hippolyta in the Justice Society for the 1940's JSA story retcons. For me, it got to be a bit much when she didn't retire and continued in the role in the revised JSA and we had both Diana and Hippolyta assuming the role as Wonder Woman leading up to her death in the Our Worlds at War storyline. I wouldn't mind an Amazon in the modern-era JSA, long as it's not Diana or Hippolyta. There's plenty of legacy characters that can step into that role, such as Fury or Donna Troy.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I would't mind a take that uses Diana's immortality and has her around for the JSA and in the modern day. We really don't need even more continuity tweaks in Rebirth though, so I think that ship has sailed.

Hard pass on another Amazon being in the JSA, especially using the "Wonder Woman" name. Let's not make Diana a legacy please, she's the original. At least as far as superheroes outside of Themyscira using that name are concerned/.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I would't mind a take that uses Diana's immortality and has her around for the JSA and in the modern day. We really don't need even more continuity tweaks in Rebirth though, so I think that ship has sailed.

Hard pass on another Amazon being in the JSA, especially using the "Wonder Woman" name. Let's not make Diana a legacy please, she's the original. At least as far as superheroes outside of Themyscira using that name are concerned/.
    The legacy character doesn't necessarily have to use the Wonder Woman name. Power Girl, Huntress, Fury and Jade are a few examples of JSA legacy characters that didn't assume the names of their predecessors. Far as making Wonder Woman/Diana a legacy, she already has a one: Donna Troy and Wonder Girl. Superman and Batman have legacies, why not WW?

The major role the JSA took on in later incarnations was legacies and training the next generation of heroes. Any modern-day JSA line-up is going to have to contain legacy characters, unless we're looking at a JSA primarily stuck in the 1940's or, the members are all immortal or slow-aging.
    Last edited by donnafan; 06-13-2019 at 04:07 PM.