Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default The absolute dumbest epiphanies you've had in your life.

This is not meant for the major stuff, like religion/politics/ethics etc...

This is for dumb stuff you probably should have realized sooner, but still changed how you live your life.

My own stupid revelation was...

It's perfectly okay to doctor/alter fast food.

Looking back I feel like a moron, but would do absolutely stupid things with my fast food.

'Hmm this ins't salty enough... *salt easily available on countertop* ah well"

"This is good but it could be spicier, that would be great." *happily ignores jalepenos and hot sauce in fridge*"

Looking back it carried on for years, even into adulthood, even though it made no sense.

So do you have anything you've done that was incredibly stupid/pointless and more to the point unnecessary, or avoided doing something easy because of nonsensical reasons?
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Classic playground sarcasm heard as a child: "Smooth move ex-lax!"

Twenty years later, while in the middle of work: "Oh, because Ex-Lax is a laxative brand, so it makes you poop! Because it eases your constipation to make your poop flow smoothly!"

-----

Fifty zombie movies in: "Why the fuck does every zombie story get ruined by survivors having to fight bandits or the military?"

Child arrive at my house for Halloween: "OH! I get it! Humans are the real monsters!"

-----

As a child: "Wait, so life is ultimately meaningless, because we're all gunna die and nothing we've ever done will have meant anything."

As an adult: "Man, guns are expensive. Guess I'll just go to work today. Again."

Invincible Member

ACDC's song "Gone Shootin'" is about the narrator's girlfriend being on drugs. For some reason I didn't get it for a long time. Then one day I'm like, Hmm..."she stirred her coffee with the same spoon"...that's the spoon she cooked her heroin with! The whole thing makes sense now!

I always thought the first line of I Don't Like Mondays by Boomtown Rats was: The silicone chip in Ciderhead got switched to overload

turns out it is: The silicone chip inside her head got switched to overload.

And the shooting didn't happen in a town called Ciderhead.

I can't think of any right now, but very recently my wife and I saw a Kay's Commercial where the have the "Every kiss begins with Kay commercial". I don't remember what she said verbatim but it was something like, "That's so dumb, why would you have to go to Kay's to get a kiss? There are a ton of jewelers."

So I was like, "No, it's a play on words. You know like the first letter of 'kiss' is a 'k'?"

She had a BSOD moment, and then a flood of revelation. It was like I revealed a glitch in the Matrix.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Channel 56 in Boston has the call letters WLVI. I failed to realize why for years.

How amazing the score was in many of Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies shorts.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 05-07-2017 at 12:07 AM.

That Greg Ginn's guitar playing on the Black Flag album My War was probably intentional.

I think I've stated this before in other threads but:

- For the longest time, I thought the first letter in the Disney logo was some stylized lower-case "d." Then, one day, I read the logo starting from the right and realized, crap this is a stylized upper-case "D!"

- "Uatu" is pronounced "Oo-ah-tu" and not "Utah."

- This still gets me, but apparently people outside of the NY/NJ area use the phrase "in line" and not "on line."

For instance, "I waited in line for three hours." For me, I'd say "I waited on line for three hours."

This was pointed out to me by my co-workers who come from other parts of America. Honestly, every time I say "in line" I feel like I'm speaking a foreign language. Time and space just collapse in on themselves!
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    I can't think of any right now, but very recently my wife and I saw a Kay's Commercial where the have the "Every kiss begins with Kay commercial". I don't remember what she said verbatim but it was something like, "That's so dumb, why would you have to go to Kay's to get a kiss? There are a ton of jewelers."

So I was like, "No, it's a play on words. You know like the first letter of 'kiss' is a 'k'?"

She had a BSOD moment, and then a flood of revelation. It was like I revealed a glitch in the Matrix.
    ...............................................HOL Y CRAP, dude, I'm just getting that now too! Awesome !
    "I am a man of peace."

Last one for the night. When I first started working in Hong Kong, I used a non-scented laundry detergent to clean my clothes. It was the only non-scented laundry detergent I could find because it said "non-scented" on it.

Then, after a year, I took a long look at the outside of the container. It turns out this stuff wasn't laundry detergent. It was just fabric softener . Whoopsie daisy!
    "I am a man of peace."

Astonishing Member

The main character in Jade Empire is a serious take on Wimp Lo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tien Long View Post

- For the longest time, I thought the first letter in the Disney logo was some stylized lower-case "d." Then, one day, I read the logo starting from the right and realized, crap this is a stylized upper-case "D!"
    \
    Yeah I have a problem with clever logos, this is one, the other is the one below. Now the only thing that makes it better is that it's literally called pac-man logo, because loads of people like myself could only see pac-man and not the hawk. Took till I was near 30 years old to see the hawk!

84879607f0f01ce70fddb2fc030358af.gif
    Last edited by Kusanagi; 05-07-2017 at 09:14 PM.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    Yeah I have a problem with clever logos, this is one, the other is the one below. Now the only thing that makes it better is that it's literally called pac-man logo, because loads of people like myself could only see pac-man and not the hawk. Took till I was near 30 years old to see the hawk!
    It took quite a while for me to see that Superman's chest symbol is a stylised S.

Decades before learning that's there is a C to see. Even now that I know, still need to make a huge effort to see it...