View Poll Results: Should Bendis take on a Gotham title?

Voters
153. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

54 35.29%
  • no

57 37.25%
  • maybe, depends

42 27.45%
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Bat-Cow has a bat on her face and I'm cool with that.
    That's cool for a cow but I don't think Duke needs bat ears in his helmet, a bat on his face, and bat on his chest, bats on his boots, AND batwings on his eskrima sticks. The chest logo, the sticks and the helmet are fine (i guess) but he's The Signal, he should have more light motifs not covered in bats from head to toe. Matter of fact, he should have his own insignia by now.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    That's cool for a cow but I don't think Duke needs bat ears in his helmet, a bat on his face, and bat on his chest, bats on his boots, AND batwings on his eskrima sticks. The chest logo, the sticks and the helmet are fine (i guess) but he's The Signal, he should have more light motifs not covered in bats from head to toe. Matter of fact, he should have his own insignia by now.
    Since he now has meta powers, I think he should movie out, become his own man, and get his own ongoing.

NOTE: This thread was originally started in November of 2017.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

With 105 people having voted so far,
    * Yes = 39 votes
    * No = 34 votes
    * Maybe / Depends = 32 votes

For some reason, I originally chose "Maybe / Depends", but these days I would go with "No" instead.

He wrote the best Bat-book in years so yeah obviously he should.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Not in the main continuity since he's the type that comes in, break things and make up his new version, or so I heard

NO, because once he takes on ONE Bat title, he's going to want them ALL. I don't have time for every Bat book to be about the entire Bat Family sitting round talking about nothing in particular for 18 pages every issue, with everyone from Bruce, to Dick, to Jason, to Barbara, to Duke all having the EXACT same voice.........

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post
    in later years he was very much using his pull inside Marvel to be "the" writer who would tackle a godawful number of books. The feel is that he wanted to leave his print in every sector of the Marvel universe over the work other writers were doing in other books or even solo titles.
    It was painful to watch basically the entire Marvel Universe go down the drain with Bendis being given free reign to write what felt like 20+ books at the same time. Every book he wrote---whether a solo, a team book, a cosmic book, or a street level book---felt EXACTLY the same. He basically gave every single character in the Marvel Universe the exact same voice and personality. It was painful to watch and try to read for many long term Marvel fans like myself. Dude got to the point where he was BLATANTLY just pumping out books by the numbers to give Marvel a ridiculously heavy and lucrative TPB catalog for every character and every title, with NO REGARD for quality or continuity AT ALL.
    Last edited by Uncanny Mutie; 03-16-2021 at 07:29 AM.

No, not at all. Bendis is passed his prime, and even when he got a few "street-level" DC stories, he blew it.
    Last edited by Citizen Kane; 03-16-2021 at 02:01 PM.

Well, I'd rahter he focus on his Checkmate book (even if having Lois Lane of all peoples running it feels absolutely wrong, but well, that's how it'll gonna be).

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
    No, not at all. Bendis is past his prime, and even when he got a few "street-level" DC stories, he blew it.
    Finally someone knows what's up.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Well, I'd rahter he focus on his Checkmate book (even if having Lois Lane of all peoples running it feels absolutely wrong, but well, that's how it'll gonna be).
    Erg, no. Especially with Damian in there. Whom is a character Bendis has continuously failed at (miserably) to properly characterize. Let alone be a half decent detective.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Erg, no. Especially with Damian in there. Whom is a character Bendis has continuously failed at (miserably) to properly characterize. Let alone be a half decent detective.
    I hope that with Talia going from main character to guest star in Checkmate Damian's role in this has gotten smaller too.
    I didn't like how he wrote and used him in Event Leviathan at all and all his other attempts at writing Damian were bad as well.

I used to think I wanted Bendis on a Batbook, if anything. But lately I'm starting to lose faith in his capabilities to even handle that. His JL book today was....good-ish. There were a few things that I really don't like and a few things I did. But it's made me realize that even his good books have the typical writing quirks of his that I really hate. And of course, he had to spend the first page patting himself on the back for what he did in his Superman run [eyeroll]

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    I used to think I wanted Bendis on a Batbook, if anything. But lately I'm starting to lose faith in his capabilities to even handle that. His JL book today was....good-ish. There were a few things that I really don't like and a few things I did. But it's made me realize that even his good books have the typical writing quirks of his that I really hate. And of course, he had to spend the first page patting himself on the back for what he did in his Superman run [eyeroll]
    He is a has-been on all fronts now IMO, you've summed it up perfectly. It just doesn't work, so tedious and cringe-worthy. He should just stick to his creator owned work or something similar to that.

Mighty Member

I'd love to see Bendis on the main Batman title. When he moved to DC, that was the one book I would have love to have seen him on.
    Hopefully that will happen in the next five years.