Page 46 of 47 FirstFirst ... 36424344454647 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Is it, though?

Replace 'Gods' with an ethnic group that actually exists, and you see that he's just an overreacting douche.
    The difference being that a real life ethnic group doesn't have power over life and death like gods do. These beings can, literally, determine the date of others. So your analogy doesn't really work.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    The difference being that a real life ethnic group doesn't have power over life and death like gods do. These beings can, literally, determine the date of others. So your analogy doesn't really work.
    If it works for mutants, it works for Gods

Especially when Gods aren't as all powerful as they are presented in religion/church.

I mean, Gorr ultimately exists because of Jason Aaron's Atheist bent to his Thor stories so that colors a lot about him, although Waititi really didn't dive as deep into it as Aaron did.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, Gorr ultimately exists because of Jason Aaron's Atheist bent to his Thor stories so that colors a lot about him, although Waititi really didn't dive as deep into it as Aaron did.
    If he weren't so obsessed with bathos, Gorr mighta worked in the movie better. Ah well.

If he weren't so obsessed with bathos, Gorr mighta worked in the movie better. Ah well.
    Again, Gorr was the wrong kind of villain for a comedy film.

Niffleheim

If it works for mutants, it works for Gods

Especially when Gods aren't as all powerful as they are presented in religion/church.
    the mutant with all their powers never worked for me so it wont work for the gods
    Last edited by Tofali; 01-09-2024 at 08:37 PM.
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough

Ultimate Member

I don't think Thor 4 had to be a comedy film, personally. But yeah, not a great choice

I don't think Thor 4 had to be a comedy film, personally. But yeah, not a great choice
    Not to mention one of the main characters dying of cancer. Comedy gold...

It didn't and probably shouldn't have been but I think Waititi was riding high on the success of Ragnarok and having more creative control, so...yeah.

Also it turned into a movie where everybody's kid got to be in it .

"Stegosaurus!" OrangeRangerPete's Avatar

Yes, I felt that this was the biggest weakness of "Love and Thunder."

Gorr was a great villain, and brought some real cosmic horror gravitas to proceedings, and Bale did a good job with him.

But he was utterly wasted in a movie that was more interested in wacky hijinks and sight gags, and it's such a shame.

I also think the Gorr problem was a symptom of the movie's bigger issues. It never knew what it wanted to be. Cosmic horror masterpiece with a god-killing monster threatening reality as we know it, or touching drama about a character losing her battle with a fatal illness, or a wacky kid's after-school adventure where nobody's ever in real danger ... and they just kind of blended all these ideas together, and it just completely failed.
    Last edited by OrangeRangerPete; 01-09-2024 at 11:42 PM.
    Australian adventurer, and Orange Ranger.

I'm just looking at it the way Marvel Studios seems to be seeing it. There really hasn't been an attempt to spin LoT as a success.
    That don't spin LoT like a failure either, in fact most of time Marvel is pretty quiet after a movie, except if they have a big success like Endgame; I don't remember that they have qualified the last two Spider-man or Captain Marvel movies like a big success too, or Ragnarok if we made a comparaison with other Thor movies.

Domestically the movie have more that Ragnarok, despite to have been released in a post-covid word when the box office is far weaker than before (and not just for the MCU), worlwide we should remember that the movie didn't have been released in China and lot of other countries, despite that it was a big success, I didn't remember someone other that Hemsworth, who have said that they need to change Thor after this movie and have accepted the critics, Taika the director seem more that fine and happy with Love and Thunder, so no, not everybody at Marvel agree with the critics, keep in mind that Hemsworth love try to improve the character, like he have already done after Age of Ultron.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I'm just looking at it the way Marvel Studios seems to be seeing it. There really hasn't been an attempt to spin LoT as a success.

I think that's kind of sympathetic unto itself especially when Thor sees what the other Gods are like.
    ...there's no need to spin it, it WAS a success pure and simple. You don't need to spin objective facts, they simply stand on their own.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeRangerPete View Post
    Yes, I felt that this was the biggest weakness of "Love and Thunder."

Gorr was a great villain, and brought some real cosmic horror gravitas to proceedings, and Bale did a good job with him.

But he was utterly wasted in a movie that was more interested in wacky hijinks and sight gags, and it's such a shame.

I also think the Gorr problem was a symptom of the movie's bigger issues. It never knew what it wanted to be. Cosmic horror masterpiece with a god-killing monster threatening reality as we know it, or touching drama about a character losing her battle with a fatal illness, or a wacky kid's after-school adventure where nobody's ever in real danger ... and they just kind of blended all these ideas together, and it just completely failed.
    And the power levels were all over the place and dependent on the plot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolo View Post
    That don't spin LoT like a failure either, in fact most of time Marvel is pretty quiet after a movie, except if they have a big success like Endgame; I don't remember that they have qualified the last two Spider-man or Captain Marvel movies like a big success too, or Ragnarok if we made a comparaison with other Thor movies.

Domestically the movie have more that Ragnarok, despite to have been released in a post-covid word when the box office is far weaker than before (and not just for the MCU), worlwide we should remember that the movie didn't have been released in China and lot of other countries, despite that it was a big success, I didn't remember someone other that Hemsworth, who have said that they need to change Thor after this movie and have accepted the critics, Taika the director seem more that fine and happy with Love and Thunder, so no, not everybody at Marvel agree with the critics, keep in mind that Hemsworth love try to improve the character, like he have already done after Age of Ultron.
    Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    ...there's no need to spin it, it WAS a success pure and simple. You don't need to spin objective facts, they simply stand on their own.
    I guess it's a testament to LoT power that even when it financially did well enough it still gets lumped into another MCU failure by being one of their most critically panned films .

Ultimate Member

I think a big problem with Thor is that it seems like each Thor movie seems to want to redefine who/what Thor/Asgard is.

The first movie, magic and tech were the same according to Thor.

The second movie explicitly said that they were not Gods.

The third movie explicitly said that Thor is. And the fourth movie said that there were plenty of Gods but never explored what it meant.

I think a big problem with Thor is that it seems like each Thor movie seems to want to redefine who/what Thor/Asgard is.

The first movie, magic and tech were the same according to Thor.

The second movie explicitly said that they were not Gods.

The third movie explicitly said that Thor is. And the fourth movie said that there were plenty of Gods but never explored what it meant.
    And are they Gods or are they aliens? It really just depends on the scene!

Also I hate what they've done to Asgard. Turning it into a tourist spot with inappropriate jokes.