Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324 LastLast

Funny coincidence how I picked "Magnificent" for Kamala's adjective long before Marvel did.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

Maybe someone's been reading this forum?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Saladin Ahmed is definitely the right choice to take over, he's a good writer and happens to be Muslim too. The new direction sounds like it meshes well with Champions, which will probably now be acknowledged more.

Like Bendis on Spider-Man, Willow must've been writing the finale when she got ill causing delays to the end of the run. That's a weird coincidence for sure. And like Bendis, I won't be surprised if Willow now becomes DC exclusive.

Willow's open letter about her exit.
    https://www.newsarama.com/43139-g-wi...departure.html
    I agree. I really like Ahmed's recent work. He can identify with Kamala and he has some experience writing characters like her. I think he'll move Kamala forward nicely.

My main hope is that the next phase of this series gives Kamala a chance to grow up and mature a little more. One of the things that often hampers characters like Spider-Man is that writers rarely give them an opportunity to grow up. They have to keep them as teenagers or kids. Kamala, from the very first issue, comes off as someone trying to grow up and fit into a world that doesn't understand her. G. Willow Wilson did a great job showing progression in her life, from the friends she made to unfolding arcs of her family. She gave Ahmed plenty to work with and I look forward to seeing what he has in store.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Makes you wonder why Marvel is so squirrelly when it comes to talking about digital numbers.
    Marvel doesn't release any numbers. Diamond releases print numbers and they only do so to make it easier for comic shops to know how many copies to order. There's no incentive to release those numbers to the public.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

I saw Spider-Verse over the weekend and, in addition to being just a great movie overall, it gave me hope that Kamala will find her way to the big screen sooner rather than later. Spider-Verse showed that there is a place for younger heroes inspired by older heroes. I think Kamala and Miles are best examples of that. Miles now has a successful movie. That sets a promising precedent for Kamala.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Astonishing Member

So is anyone else thinking that the 50th/31st was maybe the final cut try out, that G. Willow Wilson wanted one of those 3 but couldn't decide who would be the best, so let those 3 each write a short and best received would be who she asks first?

Yeah, I think that was indeed an audition. Willow only wrote the framing device for that issue (the sleepover scenes and secret identity reveal). I don't think it was necessarily Willow herself who chose those writers though - editorial will have had names in mind.
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

hopefully there will be a signing event in the Southeast Michigan area where the new writer is from.

Mighty Member

I'm a little late to the news.. Definitely bittersweet. I'm very grateful that I got as long of a run as I did. I look at my Ms. Marvel collection often and it always makes me smile. I read the first issue more out of duty than anything, never expecting that in a few short years she'd be one of my absolute favorites. I'm glad that Marvel looked at the big picture on this book (and on Squirrel Girl) and realized that monthly floppy sales are not the only thing that matters. Kamala is such an amazing character and I can't wait to see what Saladin does with her. I think he was a good choice. He probably wouldn't have been my top choice but I do see why he got the job and I think he'll do great. Maybe Wilson can come back for some limited series or OGN's.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel22 View Post
    I'm a little late to the news.. Definitely bittersweet. I'm very grateful that I got as long of a run as I did. I look at my Ms. Marvel collection often and it always makes me smile. I read the first issue more out of duty than anything, never expecting that in a few short years she'd be one of my absolute favorites. I'm glad that Marvel looked at the big picture on this book (and on Squirrel Girl) and realized that monthly floppy sales are not the only thing that matters. Kamala is such an amazing character and I can't wait to see what Saladin does with her. I think he was a good choice. He probably wouldn't have been my top choice but I do see why he got the job and I think he'll do great. Maybe Wilson can come back for some limited series or OGN's.
    Some in the Inhuman appreciation tread would like to see her doing something with the House of Agon.

Oh, that's a bit sad, about Wilson leaving. Kind of expected though, she has been at it for quite a while, and I think Ahmed is a good fit to continue.

Five years is certainly "quite a while"! With Slott and Bendis no longer on the Spider-Man books there aren't many left with such long and still current runs. Aaron on Thor is probably the only one that's longer, and we know that's ending in the summer too. Next closest is what, North on Squirrel Girl?

All the people thinking it’s inevitable Kamala and Miles are getting together now are really setting themselves up for dissapointment. Makes me laugh.

The Champions #3 cover only has one character on it. A crying Kamala...

CHAMPIONS #3
    JIM ZUB (W)
    STEVEN CUMMINGS (A)
    Cover by KIM JACINTO
    SPIDER-MAN VILLAINS
    VARIANT COVER BY MIKE MCKONE
    • The ultimate sacrifice or the ultimate betrayal?
    • Ms. Marvel will find out the truth, even if it kills her...
    • Jim Zub (AVENGERS, UNCANNY AVENGERS) and Steven Cummings (Wayward, Legends of the Dark Knight) take the Champions into new territory, and the team will never be the same.
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Magnificent Ms Marvel #1 variant.

MAGNIFICENT MS. MARVEL #1
    SALADIN AHMED (W) • Minkyu Jung (A)
    Cover by EDUARD PETROVICH
    Variant Cover by ELSA CHARRETIER
    Variant Cover by BABS TARR
    BLANK VARIANT COVER ALSO AVAILABLE
    ALL-New ongoing series from Eisner Award-winning writer Saladin Ahmed!
    MS. MARVEL IS BACK!
    But it’s not business as usual in Jersey City. Aliens are wreaking havoc in Kamala’s corner of the world, and they seem weirdly interested in Ms. Marvel…and her family. Eisner Award–winner Saladin Ahmed (BLACK BOLT, EXILES) and rising star Minkyu Jung (Batgirl, Nightwing) take the reigns of one of Marvel’s most beloved new characters! You won’t want to miss this shocking start of a new era!
    32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Spectacular Member

Bet you that has to do with the skrull from the last issue.