Page 993 of 1287 FirstFirst ... 493893943983989990991992993994995996997100310431093 ... LastLast
Results 14,881 to 14,895 of 19298

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    It helps guys get over. Sometimes seeing someone dominate shows that a particular wrestler is someone to lookout for. Competitive matches only work if you are invested in both guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTHAIFA View Post
    Yes, I know. I know that the Boss of AEW has to jump through a bunch of obstacles to get a wrestling match on a show that he runs .

Cody being the Boss and the struggling hero just doesn't work for me.

It's Stone Cold vs McMahon with McMahon as the hero. It has been well performed by all parties, it's just a set up that I can't invest in.
    Yeah, it really works better if Cody is the heel. But for now he's probably the best face they have. Down the line when he turns, I think we'll actually get a better version of the character (even though he's a good face).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Yeah, it really works better if Cody is the heel. But for now he's probably the best face they have. Down the line when he turns, I think we'll actually get a better version of the character (even though he's a good face).
    It's a great storyline, if he is not the boss.

Betrayed by his friend.
    Goes gets a father figure in Arm to guide him
    Has to go through all these obstacles to get revenge.

It's awesome character development, if he wasn't the boss, who "leads" the argubably the greatest faction in wrestling, and also has his brother at his side.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Yes, I know. I know that the Boss of AEW has to jump through a bunch of obstacles to get a wrestling match on a show that he runs .

Cody being the Boss and the struggling hero just doesn't work for me.

It's Stone Cold vs McMahon with McMahon as the hero. It has been well performed by all parties, it's just a set up that I can't invest in.
    to be honest, he hasn't used his stroke for his own benefit so him being "the boss" doesn't really play into this much.

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    to be honest, he hasn't used his stroke for his own benefit so him being "the boss" doesn't really play into this much.
    But the fact that we KNOW he can use his stroke anytime he wants to even if he chooses not to inevitably means he has the upper hand in any feud he's in.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy his angle and his work in general. I think he's basically carrying the company as it's top face. BUT he works better as a heel IMO.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

He's benefited a lot less than Dusty did as booker.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    even waaaaay less than double j when he was a booker.

damn. having "planet jarrett" flashbacks.

Astonishing Member

But the fact that we KNOW he can use his stroke anytime he wants to even if he chooses not to inevitably means he has the upper hand in any feud he's in.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy his angle and his work in general. I think he's basically carrying the company as it's top face. BUT he works better as a heel IMO.
    Yep. He is by far the most over face on AEW. He is one of the most over faces in wrestling period.

Astonishing Member

even waaaaay less than double j when he was a booker.

damn. having "planet jarrett" flashbacks.
    Damn, you now I have his damn theme song in my head

Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    I think the Elite are almost not pushing themselves enough quite frankly.

Cody's push is ABOUT right.

But for the first couple months, Omega and the Buckys really only won like half the time. For new viewers it's hard to buy Omega saying he's the best wrestler in the world and the Bucks saying they're the best tag team in the world if they have a 50% win loss record (or whatever it was). Not that I don't respect the fact that they aren't putting themselves over too much... but I think they were arguably overdoing it a LITTLE.

Astonishing Member

I think the Elite are almost not pushing themselves enough quite frankly.

Cody's push is ABOUT right.

But for the first couple months, Omega and the Buckys really only won like half the time. For new viewers it's hard to buy Omega saying he's the best wrestler in the world and the Bucks saying they're the best tag team in the world if they have a 50% win loss record (or whatever it was). Not that I don't respect the fact that they aren't putting themselves over too much... but I think they were arguably overdoing it a LITTLE.
    They are in a tough spot. AEW has enough talent for the Bucks not to be champs, but Omega should win more than he loses. I don't see much personality with him, so being the "BEST IN THE WORLD" is a good gimmick for him.

They are in a tough spot. AEW has enough talent for the Bucks not to be champs, but Omega should win more than he loses. I don't see much personality with him, so being the "BEST IN THE WORLD" is a good gimmick for him.
    Honestly I thought Omega should have been put in the postion Hangman Page was in at the start of AEW. Nothing against Paige... he was still felt more like a mid-card guy to me. A GOOD mid card guy... but still a mid card guy.

That said, Omega is over enough in AEW at least to where he's fine even if he doesn't win matches.

Lol. I watch wrestling every week and other than ROH or NWA, I see at least one pretty good to great match per episode of Raw,Smackdown,AEW, or NXT.

I will go against the grain, and just say I felt the Last Temptation of Cody to be silly. Cody can literally beat MJF at any time. You don't need an actual wrestling match.Actually, based on MJF in ring ability, I think a street fight would preferable.
    Good and 5 star is not the same, I am also not seeing the “this is awesome chants” for the top guys mediocre matches you speak of.

A babyface not abusing his power & position for his own benefit is a little too far fetched for some I guess, then again maybe Cody doesn’t abuse his power because he doesn’t want lose his job as the boss(he doesn’t own the company), it’s not like Cody’s boss is an evil authority figure after all.

I’m not into the whole program because I find mjf to be a pretty generic heel character and I’m just not a big Cody fan. That said mjf is great at that generic heel character and Cody being in a position of power as the babyface is what makes the angle different than what we’ve seen 100 times already. Objectively speaking and putting my personal level of investment aside that was a great tv segment and has THEIR audience completely dialed in.

Yep. He is by far the most over face on AEW. He is one of the most over faces in wrestling period.
    I don’t think that’s accurate, if moxley is behind at all he isn’t far behind.

MLW has some kind of deal with Dragon Gate it seems. I haven’t seen any DG in ages.

You think omega lacks personality?? That’s a new one to me, and I’ve never been an omega fan.
    Last edited by BigLbo; 02-09-2020 at 04:36 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigLbo View Post
    Good and 5 star is not the same, I am also not seeing the “this is awesome chants” for the top guys mediocre matches you speak of.

A babyface not abusing his power & position for his own benefit is a little too far fetched for some I guess, then again maybe Cody doesn’t abuse his power because he doesn’t want lose his job as the boss(he doesn’t own the company), it’s not like Cody’s boss is an evil authority figure after all.

I’m not into the whole program because I find mjf to be a pretty generic heel character and I’m just not a big Cody fan. That said mjf is great at that generic heel character and Cody being in a position of power as the babyface is what makes the angle different than what we’ve seen 100 times already. Objectively speaking and putting my personal level of investment aside that was a great tv segment and has THEIR audience completely dialed in.

I don’t think that’s accurate, if moxley is behind at all he isn’t far behind.

MLW has some kind of deal with Dragon Gate it seems. I haven’t seen any DG in ages.

You think omega lacks personality?? That’s a new one to me, and I’ve never been an omega fan.
    Yeah with Omega, I just don't see "personality". Weird facial contortions ,hand gestures, and occasional cosplay doesn't equal personality. I only really know AEW Omega, so being the Elite and New Japan is unknown to me. I don't know his voice.

I am trying to stop using Meltzer-isms . I need to use actual words and not star ratings. FTM

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Yeah with Omega, I just don't see "personality". Weird facial contortions ,hand gestures, and occasional cosplay doesn't equal personality. I only really know AEW Omega, so being the Elite and New Japan is unknown to me. I don't know his voice.

I am trying to stop using Meltzer-isms . I need to use actual words and not star ratings. FTM
    He still did a lot of the hand gestures, weird facials and occasional cosplay in New Japan. Just over they had a better quality talent pool and better presentation.

Kenny works better as a smug heel. He was supposed to be the heel in his feud with Okada. It's just he's so good in the ring that people started cheering for him out of respect, and his character never really adapted to that and sort of fell flat.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans