Page 9 of 222 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959109 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    It's splitting hairs a bit- Hal had a best-selling book way before the movie came out and he's been okay since, but I was more referring to promotion outside comics. And even if he's not "just above MM and Cyborg (both of whom will be regulars on tv shows when "Doom Patrol" comes out, btw), he seems "just below the other five" at least.

Hopefully, with the animated series released on DCU, others can see how great he is. I don't think he's going anywhere, but as you say he's easy to lift out of the JLA - thus, I am grateful anytime he is there, even if it's not a prominent role. (and hey, there's a statue of him in the Hall of Justice in that WB amusement park in Abu Dhabi)
    I understand what you mean, my point was that promotion outside of comics doesn't necessarily equate to proven success for the specific character. For instance, some could think a character like Ray Palmer is more high-profile than Hal Jordan because he's been on TV for years and played by a former Superman actor. When in reality Ray hasn't been much of an important player in DC history the way Hal has. And I like Ray so I don't mean to dump on him or anything like that, it's just an example of a character who's had years of representation outside of comics.

I think perhaps the best thing Hal usually has in his favor is consistency. Since no matter how often he's being replaced, he always seems to come back to take his place, whether as the proverbial main GL or a JL member.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Hal in Reign of the Supermen.

I could be wrong, but that look on Hal's face tells me....

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    It's splitting hairs a bit- Hal had a best-selling book way before the movie came out and he's been okay since, but I was more referring to promotion outside comics. And even if he's not "just above MM and Cyborg (both of whom will be regulars on tv shows when "Doom Patrol" comes out, btw), he seems "just below the other five" at least.

Hopefully, with the animated series released on DCU, others can see how great he is. I don't think he's going anywhere, but as you say he's easy to lift out of the JLA - thus, I am grateful anytime he is there, even if it's not a prominent role. (and hey, there's a statue of him in the Hall of Justice in that WB amusement park in Abu Dhabi)
    I get giddy everytime Hal appears in other media.☺

Comics reach only so much audience. Even at work and school I hear people talk and quote the Avengers because 9f the movies. Very few of them really buy comic books. So I'd be really happy to see Hal and other DC properti3s reach that kind of audience. Would love it to see kids wanting to dress up as Hal during Haloween.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I really hope they revamp GL's costume in these movies. I don't care for the tron lines.
    Agreed. That was absolutely needless.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

Hal in Reign of the Supermen.

Hope he gets to flex his muscles more here.

Last time Hal got taken out pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by silly View Post
    Hope he gets to flex his muscles more here.

Last time Hal got taken out pretty quickly.
    The whole League was cannon fodder for Doomsday. To be fair, even though I'm happy anytime I see Hal make an appearance in outside media, there's some part of me that wishes he didn't show up because they always portray him as some annoying goof that just deserves to get his ass kicked. If he won't get a good role, why even have him there.

The whole League was cannon fodder for Doomsday. To be fair, even though I'm happy anytime I see Hal make an appearance in outside media, there's some part of me that wishes he didn't show up because they always portray him as some annoying goof that just deserves to get his ass kicked. If he won't get a good role, why even have him there.
    Hal and the rest of the League feel like annoying goofs to me in these recent animated movies. Everyone's personality is flatter than paper and everyone sounds tired and annoyed.

Hal while annoying at least tries in these movies.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Hal and the rest of the League feel like annoying goofs to me in these recent animated movies. Everyone's personality is flatter than paper and everyone sounds tired and annoyed.

Hal while annoying at least tries in these movies.
    And it doesn't seem to be limited only to those movies, seems like it's been happening across the board. Pretty much anywhere Hal shows up he's portrayed as this dim-witted class clown. You know what they say that there's the wrong kind of attention. Seems to be happening quite more often to Hal than his teammates. If that keeps happening, ultimately it's what people would think his entire characterization is about. That's why when I see Hal fans complain about him being shafted or replaced in outside media products, I think to myself it could be a blessing in disguise because what guarantees that he won't be written like a fool once again. Sometimes the mere fact that he gets more mainstream exposure doesn't really end up doing him justice.
    Last edited by Johnny; 01-08-2019 at 04:44 PM.

Incredible Member

No GL has really played an important role in any animated movie they've done in recent memory regardless of which Lantern they happened to use. The FF looking for Jessica does not mean she would be the main character in the movie anyway. I also wouldn't be surprised if there's a Hal mention or flashback since he's supposed to be her mentor after all. GL fans have had only crumbs thrown our way for a long time now, whether the featured Lantern was Hal or someone else. This is really no different.
    The FF looking for Jessica means she drives the plot.
    Are you trying to persuade me they will do nothing more than just showing her new design in this animation movie?

Quote Originally Posted by HAN9000 View Post
    The FF looking for Jessica means she drives the plot.
    Are you trying to persuade me they will do nothing more than just showing her new design in this animation movie?
    Nope, but bringing in other characters isn't necessarily a bad thing and Hal showing up in these movies doesn't mean he will be well portrayed as mentioned above. For me a well-written Jessica Cruz is a preferable option over a badly-written Hal Jordan for the reasons I pointed out in my previous comment. Don't get me wrong, I do wish Hal would show up in animation more often than he does, but what I hope as a fan is whenever they do use him, they treat him well and he stands out for the right reasons. I think it's fair to say he doesn't need anymore Justice League War portrayals.
    Last edited by Johnny; 01-09-2019 at 12:58 AM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

A most intriguing interview. Looks like Hal is in good hands with Morrison. Meanwhile, as for the cover for the upcoming third issue:

Yeah, I can totally see Hal going Briscoe and Green on God! Awesome!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Mighty Member

TGL #3 was really intense! Great stuff.

Astonishing Member WallyWestFlash's Avatar

I just flipped through issue 3, haven't had a chance to read it yet but it looks really good.
    My name is Wally West. I"m the fastest man alive. I"m the Flash.

Favorite Heroes - 1-Flash/Wally West, 2-Superman, 3-Green Lantern/Hal Jordan, 4-Nightwing, 5-Hawkman, 6-Firestorm, 7-Supergirl/Linda Danvers, 8-Zatanna, 9-Robin/Tim Drake

Fantastic Member Mutatis_Mutandis's Avatar

Well, I think this was the best issue yet. Can't wait to see where this is going.