Page 8 of 46 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    i sampled some of the book. why do people like Garth Ennis?
    I like cynicism and dark humor.

i sampled some of the book. why do people like Garth Ennis?
    As someone who read the entire run, the "Why?" MM had signed back up was what kept me around until the last couple of issues. Hughie is there because he is too dumb to walk away. Frenchie and The Female are there because where else were they going to be?

So... While "Like..." sort of overstates it, I was interested enough to get through the run.

One of my main issues is that you have The Boys, but there is no "Punisher..." analog in a world where there is collateral damage L/R/C. That was pretty hard to buy.

Ultimate Member

Ennis CAN be a good writer when he wants to be. His comics centered around history and/or World War II (Ennis is a huge history buff, and WWII buff as well) for example are really good. And Punisher Max as well, Hitman, even quite a bit of Preacher, as well.

But Ennis has the same issue that Mark Millar has imo. Namely that he seems to thing that being "edgy" and "EXTREME" automatically makes a comic more "mature." Also Ennis has a cynicism towards traditional superheroes (except for Superman whom he actually seems to have respect for interestingly) that bleeds into a lot of his work and can become tedious at times.

The show has actually succeeded in taking the core of the comic and making it work while ironing out the more iffy "edgelord" elements of the comics into something more interesting, imo.

Well, let's get real for a minute...

Even at it's best, The Boys is still hot garbage compared to the Punisher Max run.

It may has well have been another writer's work.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    As someone who read the entire run, the "Why?" MM had signed back up was what kept me around until the last couple of issues. Hughie is there because he is too dumb to walk away. Frenchie and The Female are there because where else were they going to be?

So... While "Like..." sort of overstates it, I was interested enough to get through the run.

One of my main issues is that you have The Boys, but there is no "Punisher..." analog in a world where there is collateral damage L/R/C. That was pretty hard to buy.
    Wouldn't the titular team qualify as the Punsher analogues? Butcher even kind of looks like Frank and has a similar backstory.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 08-07-2019 at 01:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Wouldn't the titular team qualify as the Punshier analogues? Butcher even kind of looks like Frank and has a similar backstory.
    To me, a couple of reasons...

- The team is government sanctioned.

- They are actually superhuman.

- The public would not be aware of the team. It's kind of hard to see a "Punisher..." analog not coming out of a world that knows nothing about The Boys and is living in the world they operate in.

The team sort of works, but not exactly. That said, I could see why they would for some folks.

One other thing, they are seriously short a "Micro".

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Ennis CAN be a good writer when he wants to be. His comics centered around history and/or World War II (Ennis is a huge history buff, and WWII buff as well) for example are really good. And Punisher Max as well, Hitman, even quite a bit of Preacher, as well.

But Ennis has the same issue that Mark Millar has imo. Namely that he seems to thing that being "edgy" and "EXTREME" automatically makes a comic more "mature." Also Ennis has a cynicism towards traditional superheroes (except for Superman whom he actually seems to have respect for interestingly) that bleeds into a lot of his work and can become tedious at times.

The show has actually succeeded in taking the core of the comic and making it work while ironing out the more iffy "edgelord" elements of the comics into something more interesting, imo.
    I agree with that. Hitman, Preacher, Punisher Max, War stories, including Fury Max...those long runs I enjoyed much, much more than any of the runs I've read from a shed load of popular comic writers. But yes..a fair amount of his other stuff seems not too good.

The Boys itself..I actually rate as good-ish Ennis (certainly not as good as other stuff I mentioned, but better than a lot of his really run of the mill stuff)...I think it reads better read as an entire run, rather than reading it issue by issue as it came out. (When I read it when it was coming out monthly, I was fairly disappointed with it. But when I re-read entire run later on in a "binge" read, enjoyed it much more.)

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post

It is quite possible that Punisher types pop up on a routine basis in Boysverse, but lacking plot armor, they just die. Someone goes Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe in Boysverse, and they get chopped in half by heat-vision before doing anything of consequence.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    It is quite possible that Punisher types pop up on a routine basis in Boysverse, but lacking plot armor, they just die. Someone goes Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe in Boysverse, and they get chopped in half by heat-vision before doing anything of consequence.
    Since all supes of consequence are on corporate payrolls it's probably more like a hired hit squad is sent to deal with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post

i guess i just don't see how a breast milk addiction is a good thing to put in a comic. seems like something a 5th grader might have come up with. and the need to go to the sexual assualt well so often.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I like cynicism and dark humor.
    i like dark humor too; when it's actually funny. but there's a fine line between that and poor taste.

Read the comics and watched this. Just one thing being glossed over a bit that I would like to emphasize.

1. This is not a show about good vs evil. This is a show about superhero assholes and human assholes. You just sympathize with the human assholes a bit more because they are the point of view characters especially Hughie.

2. Butcher is not a good guy. He much like Homelander is a product of his experiences, he simply doesn't have superpowers so his sociopathic tendencies doesn't lead to as much death. However, he will sacrifice babies, friends, and whoever else to achieve his vengeance. The show doesn't really show this until towards the end but in the comics the dude is pretty much evil and manipulative. Given they changed things in the show regarding his wife perhaps the show is going to try and redeem him but otherwise he is a pretty nasty fellow. In the comics, I was pretty much happy when he met his demise as I was thoroughly disgusted with the character by the end.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

the Deep, on the show, seemed to be good with sexual assault. i'm happy that he wasn't black.
    In the comics they pretty much all were. Starlight had to perform sexual acts on all of them in the comics and in the comics that was the reason they brought her to the team. To humiliate and degrade her. The comic was really pretty messed up.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Accidently stumbled across Black Noirs comic arc and wish I didnt. Though doesnt seem to being what the shows doing though.

Incredible Member

How can billy butcher shoot star light with that HUGE rifle in this season TWICE dead center in the chest and she lives. She was not that tough in the comics, or did I mess something in the comics.

Did they power her up (a lot more for the tv show) than she was in the comics? How strong is she really? Does she have super strength in the comics or in the tv show? I didn't see her have any super strength displays in the comics?
    Last edited by gwhh; 08-09-2019 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gwhh View Post
    How can billy butcher shoot star light with that HUGE rifle in this season TWICE dead center in the chest and she lives. She was not that tough in the comics, or did I mess something in the comics.

Did they power her up (a lot more for the tv show) than she was in the comics? How strong is she really? Does she have super strength in the comics or in the tv show? I didn't see her have any super strength displays in the comics?
    she alludes to super strength early on in the series. i think it was when she was talking about her love interests before Huey.