Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    For a variety of reasons. I think it ages him too much, and it marks an ending to a story engine that's been part of the series from the beginning (balancing his academic life as well as his private life and job.)
    Shouldn't that be a good thing though he shouldn't be doing the same things over and over again
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Shouldn't that be a good thing though he shouldn't be doing the same things over and over again
    One would assume but certain people many of whom work at Marvel think the character should never do anything new.

Edit - They are proponents of an atrophied mindset which is rooted deeply in childhood nostalgia.
    Last edited by Celgress; 07-20-2019 at 10:18 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    One would assume but certain people many of whom work at Marvel think the character should never do anything new.

Edit - They are proponents of an atrophied mindset which is rooted deeply in childhood nostalgia.
    So I should never expect an ending of 616 Spiderman

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

So I should never expect an ending of 616 Spiderman
    Indeed, friend

Edit - Or any lasting progression.

Indeed, friend

Edit - Or any lasting progression.
    This is where manga beats comics for me

Me as well. Manga is (usually) where it is at for modern well-rounded storytelling in graphic novel format.

Edit - Comic book editors could learn a thing or two from their Magna counterparts, IMO.
    Last edited by Celgress; 07-20-2019 at 10:29 AM.

BANNED

The weird thing about OMD is that they made Peter more of a manchild than he ever was. Go back and read the Bronze Age Peter, the Peter in Conway/Wein/Wolfman/Stern/Defalco and he came off as a capable young man and so on. The writers wrote Peter without any self-consciousness whatsoever.

So the Peter under Slott is a version of the character that has no grounding in the past. He's self-consciously written by writers/editors to be younger-and-dumber than ever before. He remains the least interesting and least complex version of the character in 616 Continuity.

I guess JMS Peter is still the best Peter for a lot here...that's true for me. That was a version of the character I looked up to.

Me as well. Manga is (usually) where it is at for modern well-rounded storytelling in graphic novel format.

Edit - Comic book editors could learn a thing or two from their Magna counterparts, IMO.
    There are tons of indy comics that have complete endings, so it's not just Manga that can do it: just not the Big Two. They've played with the idea several times without actually committing to it, really (ex. "SM: Life Story" and "Batman: DKR"). In other words, saying "those are alternate futures" - no, give me a true ending. No one lives forever, and neither can these characters, you know?

And I agree that as far as progression, JMS still tops it all because he wrote Peter as an adult. Spencer is quickly getting up there for me.

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    There are tons of indy comics that have complete endings, so it's not just Manga that can do it: just not the Big Two....
    Agreed certain indy comics have done a fantastic job in this regard.

Edit - I don't understand why for Peter, or any character, growing up is an end in and of itself. Adulthood in real life brings new challenges, not stagnation, in fiction, it is no different. Each stage of life has its own rewards, disappointments, and struggles. It isn't as if Peter will die the second he becomes an adult and is dealing with adult problems or stop being Spider-Man forever because he sires a child (a trope/belief I detest). When he looked after his Aunt May (who was pretty damn helpless at times) as a teen he never ceased his heroics so why would he do so if he has a kid?

I say keep Peter a thirtysomething for the next few decades while letting Miles be the young, hip Spider-Man. Miles is more suited for said role than is Peter anyway given the demographics and culture of today.
    Last edited by Celgress; 07-20-2019 at 01:30 PM.

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    The more I think about it, Peter the "eternal Grad Student" makes sense since Marvel has been trying to put the genie back in the bottle concerning Peter's age since the end of JMS' run.
    As much as I hate it, you're probably right.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

sigh.. we'll see.. but another "plagiarism" excuse (Jonah's photo betrayal from years ago and now the accidental 'outing' at ESU) and I'm out the window.

Agreed certain indy comics have done a fantastic job in this regard.

Edit - I don't understand why for Peter, or any character, growing up is an end in and of itself. Adulthood in real life brings new challenges, not stagnation, in fiction, it is no different. Each stage of life has its own rewards, disappointments, and struggles. It isn't as if Peter will die the second he becomes an adult and is dealing with adult problems or stop being Spider-Man forever because he sires a child (a trope/belief I detest). When he looked after his Aunt May (who was pretty damn helpless at times) as a teen he never ceased his heroics so why would he do so if he has a kid?

I say keep Peter a thirtysomething for the next few decades while letting Miles be the young, hip Spider-Man. Miles is more suited for said role than is Peter anyway given the demographics and culture of today.
    Agreed on all counts! Sounds like we're on the same page!

Eh, there are MANY manga series (most of them which are the most popular of their bunch), which do the exact same thing as most of the major Big 2 comic characters. An illusion of change and some development, but for the most part just keep the story going for as indefinite amount of time as possible. You can like how some of them may handle it more than others, but they still inherently do the same things.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Eh, there are MANY manga series (most of them which are the most popular of their bunch), which do the exact same thing as most of the major Big 2 comic characters. An illusion of change and some development, but for the most part just keep the story going for as indefinite amount of time as possible. You can like how some of them may handle it more than others, but they still inherently do the same things.
    But most do it better, at least IMO.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The weird thing about OMD is that they made Peter more of a manchild than he ever was. Go back and read the Bronze Age Peter, the Peter in Conway/Wein/Wolfman/Stern/Defalco and he came off as a capable young man and so on. The writers wrote Peter without any self-consciousness whatsoever.

So the Peter under Slott is a version of the character that has no grounding in the past. He's self-consciously written by writers/editors to be younger-and-dumber than ever before. He remains the least interesting and least complex version of the character in 616 Continuity.

I guess JMS Peter is still the best Peter for a lot here...that's true for me. That was a version of the character I looked up to.
    I think there’s a bit of nostalgia in there because I honestly don’t see any of the maturity. If Busiek is writing I can see it, but most of the time, no.