View Poll Results: Should she be forgiven?

Voters
171. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

106 61.99%
  • No

52 30.41%
  • Unsure

13 7.60%
Page 21 of 65 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JeanGreyForever View Post
    Exactly. It's such despicable behavior. Well, deplorable actually.
    Best not to bring real world logic into people's feelings on fictional characters. That's getting way too personal.

Plenty of stuff people can feel one way about in fiction, but it's different in real life. Take Family Guy for example. Some fans liked Brian & Jillian together.
    th.jpg
    In real life that would be bestiality -which many people probably don't support lol. But in a cartoon with a talking dog who has his own car, why not?

How someone reacts to fiction isn't necessarily how they'd react to real life events. People who likes shows about killers, like Dexter. Are all people who like that show real-life wannabe murderers? Nothing is funny about death in real life. But some shows and movies can certainly make you laugh about it.

Hell half the characters many love in comics they wouldn't if said characters were real life people. So I more worry about people who genuinely get worked up and question humanity based on random people's thoughts on characters in fiction.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 12-07-2017 at 03:57 PM.

If it's making you rethink how you voted, then it was worth it.
    Is making me rethink a lot of stuff..... About the affair all together....

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by bell View Post
    Is making me rethink a lot of stuff..... About the affair all together....
    I'm glad. That was the purpose of this thread. I wish it was possible for people to change their votes in a poll. I find that a very flawed mechanic of this forum.

Astonishing Member

Keep in mind that this is the first appearance of Auntie Emma. Tell me that isn't predatory.
    The first appearance of Auntie Emma is from Gen X. Morrison took the characterization of Emma Frost straight from Warren Ellis Gen X. They almost created an original character.

subir imágenes

I'm glad. That was the purpose of this thread. I wish it was possible for people to change their votes in a poll. I find that a very flawed mechanic of this forum.
    When did this all go down between them? I read DPS, but that was a while ago, and I honestly don't recall this. I liked the Scott and Emma dynamic despite the horrible beginning, but continuity is pretty important to me and this can't just be ignored between them.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    So if you break into someone's house, and while you're in there, you see your house is on fire on the news, does that allow you to claim the new house as your own?

The mental gymnastics you are willing to go to to justify Emma's actions are disturbing...
    the only disturbing thing here is how emotionally invested some people are in hating a fictional character. this is fiction. The memories of the campaigns of Julius Caesar in Gaul are an enjoyable read even if they aren't fiction and he killed hundreds of thousands with an invading force.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkerforyears View Post
    the only disturbing thing here is how emotionally invested some people are in hating a fictional character. this is fiction. The memories of the campaigns of Julius Caesar in Gaul are an enjoyable read even if they aren't fiction and he killed hundreds of thousands with an invading force.
    I'm not sure but I'm guessing the X-Men would be too happy with Caeser either if he was a contemporary.

In case you hadn't noticed, this entire message board is a testament to how emotionally invested all of us are in fictional characters(love or hate). People's tastes in any media, be it books or movies or games, fictional or non-fictional, are still quite a relevant peek into their psyches.

This just in:

modern humans are largely horrible!
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

BANNED

I'm so sick of comments like these. It's as tired as Republicans constantly harping on about how celebrities' opinions don't matter, even though they're the first to be incensed when they hear that their favs like Dolly Parton may have said something against 45.

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    In case you hadn't noticed, this entire message board is a testament to how emotionally invested all of us are in fictional characters(love or hate). People's tastes in any media, be it books or movies or games, fictional or non-fictional, are still quite a relevant peek into their psyches.

This just in:

modern humans are largely horrible!
    Precisely. I swear, the hypocrisy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    When did this all go down between them? I read DPS, but that was a while ago, and I honestly don't recall this. I liked the Scott and Emma dynamic despite the horrible beginning, but continuity is pretty important to me and this can't just be ignored between them.
    Which incident are you referring to exactly?

Spectacular Member comradepitrovsky's Avatar

I mean, I think it's impossible to really answer this question? Because Emma hasn't forgiven herself. She's a deeply, deeply broken individual, and it's always been clear that despite the whole british ice queen affectation she's both clearly regretted a lot of her actions. Yeah, she falls back into that role again and again, but that's a way of reacting to the fact that everytime she does open up, someone gets hurt. She's watched her students die in front of her, her family, her kids, her husband in all but name, everyone that she cares about had died or turned on her. So when she is faced with the choice of opening up again, or of hardening her heart and playing the ice queen, she picks the easy option. It's not the right choice, but it's one we can understand.

Emma, given her choice of anything and everything, when she got her greatest wish fulfilled wasn't a power broker or a monarch, she wasn't a evil genius. She was a healer and a teacher. I think that's revealing.

So, um, should she be forgiven? Yes, probably, but there's a difference between forgiveness and forgetfulness, and forgiveness and understanding.

I also find it deeply uncomfortable that some people are attacking Emma for her choices of appearance in a time when she was obviously being groomed by an older man. A lot of what modern Emma is has to be put at the feet of Sebastian Shaw, and I think given current events we can have some understanding there.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

She still hasn't turned Cyclops body over to the X-men yet.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tazpocalapse View Post
    She still hasn't turned Cyclops body over to the X-men yet.
    Lol, another cardinal sin.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by comradepitrovsky View Post
    I mean, I think it's impossible to really answer this question? Because Emma hasn't forgiven herself. She's a deeply, deeply broken individual, and it's always been clear that despite the whole british ice queen affectation she's both clearly regretted a lot of her actions. Yeah, she falls back into that role again and again, but that's a way of reacting to the fact that everytime she does open up, someone gets hurt. She's watched her students die in front of her, her family, her kids, her husband in all but name, everyone that she cares about had died or turned on her. So when she is faced with the choice of opening up again, or of hardening her heart and playing the ice queen, she picks the easy option. It's not the right choice, but it's one we can understand.

Emma, given her choice of anything and everything, when she got her greatest wish fulfilled wasn't a power broker or a monarch, she wasn't a evil genius. She was a healer and a teacher. I think that's revealing.

So, um, should she be forgiven? Yes, probably, but there's a difference between forgiveness and forgetfulness, and forgiveness and understanding.

I also find it deeply uncomfortable that some people are attacking Emma for her choices of appearance in a time when she was obviously being groomed by an older man. A lot of what modern Emma is has to be put at the feet of Sebastian Shaw, and I think given current events we can have some understanding there.
    So much wrong with this post, but a 40-50 year old doesn't require grooming by a man who is the same age as her. That's the age she was introduced as and intended to be before that fool Morrison retconned her.

The tests won, tough stuff hateful ones. xx