Page 257 of 347 FirstFirst ... 157207247253254255256257258259260261267307 ... LastLast
Results 3,841 to 3,855 of 5196

Quote Originally Posted by Unspeakable Evil View Post
    Like a said with Gwen. That would ruin merch sales. Like Miles is getting a animated movie. Given him a new name name at this point would just confuse the brand.
    I don’t know about that, especially when they already showed they were willing to change his hero name in the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon by calling him Kid Arachnid (still a stupid name choice) and even have toys related to the line follow suit. Clearly brand name confusion isn’t their concern.

Besides Bendis probably sees it in a similar way to Riri where the book still sells under the recognizable name but the hero goes by a different one.

Also can I just say ...Ghost Spider is so bad, it would have been better to call her white spider or something so simple like that, if Miles is changing his name then we are **** out of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonick View Post
    Yeah, that's probably what'll go down, but I do feel better that Ganke wasn't trying to keep the relationship secret for as long as possible.

I feel like if we'll definitely get at least something directly from Lord or Miller on their Twitters, it's in their best interests that they start the hype train asap.
    Yes that does make a difference and depending on how the situation is written it can be blamed on Bendis trying to follow a trope over Ganke not trying hard enough to tell Miles. Either scenario though will have Miles questioning why Ganke did it at all.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Quote Originally Posted by kurenai24 View Post
    Also can I just say ...Ghost Spider is so bad, it would have been better to call her white spider or something so simple like that, if Miles is changing his name then we are **** out of luck.

Yes that does make a difference and depending on how the situation is written it can be blamed on Bendis trying to follow a trope over Ganke not trying hard enough to tell Miles. Either scenario though will have Miles questioning why Ganke did it at all.
    Yeah Ghost Spider is pretty bad I feel like there haven't been any good new hero names in a while. And as others have already said if anyone fits the theme of a "Ghost Spider" it's Miles since he can turn invisible theonly ghostly thing about Gwen is her mostly white costume. You'd think as popular as Miles and Gwen are there'd be more effort and creativity in creating a new alias, I mean a whole marketing department and the best they could come up with so far are "Ghost Spider" and "Kid-Arachnid"? Two clunky ugly names that don't fit either and one even borders on being offensive.

Ghost Spider sounds more like a rival character or a villain.

It reminds me of that Iron Man villain Ghost.

It reminds me of that Iron Man villain Ghost.
    That's exactly what I was thinking. He was even in the current cartoon .

Yeah Ghost Spider is pretty bad I feel like there haven't been any good new hero names in a while. And as others have already said if anyone fits the theme of a "Ghost Spider" it's Miles since he can turn invisible theonly ghostly thing about Gwen is her mostly white costume. You'd think as popular as Miles and Gwen are there'd be more effort and creativity in creating a new alias, I mean a whole marketing department and the best they could come up with so far are "Ghost Spider" and "Kid-Arachnid"? Two clunky ugly names that don't fit either and one even borders on being offensive.
    Worst part about the whole Ghost Spider thing is, it already exists. It's this guy:

You said Miles and Gwen are popular, but are they? Are we mistaking franchise popularity for actual popularity?

Thumbs up

Ghost Spider is pretty bad. For example, I called her White Widow in one of my fanfiction, which I feel fits better.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Worst part about the whole Ghost Spider thing is, it already exists. It's this guy:

So a Ghost Rider and Spidey hybrid?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    You said Miles and Gwen are popular, but are they? Are we mistaking franchise popularity for actual popularity?
    What franchise, Marvel and Sony only use Peter outside of comics, and the only glimpse you see of Miles or Gwen or any other spider person is possibly in the cartoons where mostly kids watch; so the only character that benefits from a franchise is Peter.

The popularity Miles and Gwen have is purely from their fans, so I would call it actual popularity unless you're referring to brand name and it being where Miles and Gwen get their popularity in which case I guess things can be said but it still ultimately relies on a niche market i.e comic fans. In which case the fact that Miles and Gwen are still kicking is b/c of their fans which I believe goes back to it being actual popularity.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 12-08-2017 at 12:04 AM.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post

Now that's a Ghost Spider, it fits the theme and even rhymes with the original concept as opposed to someone just wearing a kinda white costume.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Ghost Spider is pretty bad. For example, I called her White Widow in one of my fanfiction, which I feel fits better.
    White Widow's a much better name, it flows better and it's even alliterative so it's aesthetically pleasing to say.
    Last edited by Dragonick; 12-08-2017 at 12:23 AM.

Regarding people's fears about Miles Morales getting a new alter ego (I didn't even know about him getting new powers, but that's yet another positive change in my book regardless if it's a variation of Carpenter's powers, Miles is the most important Spider-Person other than Spider-Man, so it's fine by me), I think it might be relevant to the topic what I've said on ResetERA last night, so I'll cross post it:

I think Miles hardcore fans from the Ultimate Universe days need to understand that the whole "Spider-Man from a different dimension fighting alongside Spider-Man and other Marvel heroes" is awful for the character's viability in the long run. It's just bad mojo and way too much and unnecessarily convoluted. I've been saying this since Secret Wars and people at CBR screamed at me because "it's fine, Spider-Man 2099 is from the future and he's here, same for Spider-Gwen", and to them I said what I've said now: thinking this way isn't thinking big enough, it's selfish from the old fans not letting him getting retconned into existing in Earth 616 all along.

The problem with Miles Morales is two-fold:

1. He will never be THE Spider-Man. Spider-Man is Peter Parker. I can definitely see one day 50 years or less from now when comics are truly dead or less Spider-Man being rebooted and becoming an Afro-American kid called Peter Parker. I thought that they had an opportunity to do just that after Secret Wars, but I understand that the screaming of the weirdos that can't accept a black Spider-Man would turn the world after Secret Wars even more of a clusterfuck than what it was. In a perfect world, in my opinion, the world after Secret Wars would be better thought out and an Afro-Latino Spider-Man called Peter Parker. That would be the best possible scenario for us to have a true black Spider-Man. The truth is that Peter Parker is Spider-Man, and unless Miles could be Spider-Man from the start, a black Spider-Man that isn't Peter Parker will never truly work. It'd work just fine for a while in the Ultimate Universe, it'd still have fans like you and several others that are hardcore fans of him. But he'd never be allowed to bloom and interact with the other heroes of the main universe. That's simply not good enough for a character as good, socially important and with that much of a demand as Miles. Miles Morales can and should stand on it's own. The fans and most of all Bendis own stubborness of keeping him as Spider-Man and wanting him to be THE Spider-Man is not helping the character: it's holding him back. He needs to be allowed to grow and step out of Spider-Man's shadow, and there are several ways exactly that can be done: giving him a new creators team is one hell of a start, but that's still not enough. Identity and brand is important, hence why Miles Morales is the way that most people call him, not really Spider-Man. Why? It's easier to identify who you are talking about. Miles isn't really a sidekick, Spider-Boy is taken by Marvel/DC and it's a name that just screams legacy character. So we have a character like Miles that has very similar powers to Spider-Man, but no discernable name when we are talking about him when it comes to his superhero identity. I believe there's a reason why Miles film still hasn't a revealed logo with the name of the film yet, and the reason is that they are picking a name for him, picking a name for the brand, and that completely makes sense. The Latino community in the USA is bigger than ever right now, a big part of Miles that I feel that Bendis was never able to successfully tap is his Boriqua origins. My favorite alter ego for Miles that I feel like would feel fresh and make him stand out is a name that Marvel already has the IP/Trademark for both comics and characters: Araña. Simple, stand out and self aware of Miles own Latino origins. Let's see what happens in the upcoming days. Other options would be Spidey, or Webhead. If my theory is right, we'll know soon enough.

2. The second part of Miles conundrum is that he is a character now in the comics without an actual origin story. The reason that Bendis or anyone else shouldn't address that he remembers the ultimate universe and how he is literally the last survivor of not a dying planet, but a dying universe is that this is way too much convoluted. I mean, Rick and Morty are also living in an Earth that aren't theirs, but they are still Rick and Morty. There isn't another Rick or Morty running around their same timeline being them or calling themselves the same superhero name. So what I'm saying here is that Miles is a character that at least in the comics, makes very little sense why he does what he does. Meanwhile, Marvel's Spider-Man cartoon is doing an actual great job giving him an origin story that makes sense with a Spider-Man that is alive, and same is happening with PS4's Spider-Man. Hell, Miles doesn't show up in Homecoming but his Uncle does and he's literally mentioned in a deleted scene. When a cartoon, a game and a film all can give you a more streamlined and less convoluted origin story than your own comics, something is incredibly wrong and it needs to be fixed. I know that Miles has the support and love of a shitload of fans like yourself that supported him since the very start, but if you want him to have longevity and become an integral part of the Marvel Universe, you have to allow him to grow, and to "grow" is make him a viable character in long term within the Marvel Universe. "But I understand just fine his origin and people can always read his previous volumes", well that simply isn't good enough. Being a character that was born in an alternate universe and not only that, being the literal single survivor of a dying universe isn't really a good origin for a character supposed to be like Peter Parker, an every young guy. So what I hope it happens now that Miller and Lord have definitely come up with something to make sense of him and Marvel Studios as well, I hope Miles gets to have a definitive origin story within comics, a simple one that isn't as incredibly convoluted as it is at the moment.

In my opinion, it's either do this or put him back in an alternate Ultimate Universe. And that's simply not good enough for a character like Miles. He deserves to become as big as Spider-Man, and in order to do that, he needs to get his own mythology, his own name and an origin that works without being as convoluted as it is. All of that I believe is bound to happen soon, and I hate that Bendis wasn't bold enough to do just that right from the start. It would be easy: retcon Miles origin in a reworked version of The Other, when Peter died for a moment. I don't know, rework his own origin and make that work with the Marvel Universe. There are several ways to do that, and I'm sure that Marvel will find a way to make that work, if not by the comics side, by the studios, animation or cartoon side of things.
    Pull list:

Marvel Comics: X-Men, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants, X-Force, Fallen Angels and Immortal Hulk

"Humans of the planet Earth. While you slept, the world changed." -Professor X

It occurs to me that since it's been revealed that Gwen will be in an animated movie by Marvel it seems less likely that Miles' movie will focus on the Spiderverse. Not that it's impossible to have a spiderverse movie without Gwen,but she is one of the best known spiders from a different dimension other than Noir and Miguel. We'll just have to wait until tomorrow to see for sure.

The name Spider-Man: Enter the Spider-Verse was mentioned by a BBC reporter though. Why would Lizo Mzimba have posted that if he didn't believe that was the name of the film? As soon as he said that, I did think Spider-Gwen would end up showing up, because she debuted in that event in the comics. But yeah, not likely now.

While the Arana name would suit Miles just as much as it did Anya - they're both latino - the reason Anya ditched it was because after adopting Julia's old Arachne costume, everyone just assumed she was a kid Spider-Woman - a Spider-Girl. Including both Peter Parker and Jessica Drew! That happened in the 2010 (Heroic Age) Young Allies series, if anyone fancies checking it out. Miles would have the same problem in-universe, everyone would still call him Spider-Man. So if he was to change his codename, he should also drastically change his costume.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 12-08-2017 at 07:55 AM.

It would be very strange to have a spiderverse movie and not have the character that was introduced in it be in the movie. I did find it strange though that after that post came out no major comic news source I saw mentioned it at all. So I figured the sites wanted/needed to wait for the official release.

A costume change would be very tricky from a real world stand point, Miles' current costume is one of the most popular ones there is. You'll be hard pressed to find a current day top ten best Spider-Man costume list without Miles being somewhere on there and they really don't want to throw away a fan favorite like that on a design that could be unpopular. And as has been discussed plenty of times before new names are hard, between ownership rights and just general creativity you almost need a team of people just to come up with a new name.