Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    tim has been 17 for 15 years
    Wasn't he over 18 for a little while and then deaged? So it's not like he was 17 for 15 years straight. Just the bulk of a 15 year period, with a minor traipse into 18+ somewhere in there.

"The sidekicks" did become adults. And then we got new ones. And then we got new ones. And then we got new ones. With the Trinity cemented, it just leads to a treadmill of limbo for generation after generation of heroes.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    "The sidekicks" did become adults. And then we got new ones. And then we got new ones. And then we got new ones. With the Trinity cemented, it just leads to a treadmill of limbo for generation after generation of heroes.
    Yep, because as we all know, Clark and Bruce are never going to become middle aged. Hence, the reboot button by DC management every now and then, which sets up wars between fans of the different characters using the same codename.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

DC barely lets the original sidekicks be adults anymore.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Constable of Continuity Gero4568's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, the only ones who should be under 18 at this point are the rookie members of Young Justice (Teen Lantern, who's actually 11, Jinny Hex, and maybe Amethyst), Superboy (Jon), Supergirl, and the current Teen Titans (except for Djinn). DC's teen heroes mostly lean older than Marvel's, since most of Marvel's were introduced fairly recently (the ones who are as old as the Young Justice classics and Fab Five and New Teen Titans have actually aged into adulthood, for example Nova, who now has a teen successor).
    Isn't Supergirl (Kara) supposed to be close in age to the original Titans?
    Pull List: Detective Comics, Batman, Flash, Justice League, Future State

The government wants the truth. I want the truth. And one way or another, we're all going to get it

-Donna Troy

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Gero4568 View Post
    Isn't Supergirl (Kara) supposed to be close in age to the original Titans?
    Pre-Crisis, yes. Post-Crisis, she's original YJ age-group.

(It took a while for her to be reintroduced)
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post

Yeah.
    Before Kara came back, we had Matrix in the Supergirl role for a while.

It's kind of hilarious to think the YJ generation will probably grow older on the cartoon then they ever will in the comics .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's kind of hilarious to think the YJ generation will probably grow older on the cartoon then they ever will in the comics .
    Everyone on that show is way older than most of their comic counterparts.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    DC barely lets the original sidekicks be adults anymore.
    DC barely let's the adults be adults.

Fantastic Member

Fully agree with this.

I already find it difficult to relate to Batman/Superman etc. but love Dick's and later generations. Deaging Bruce and Clark does nothing to change the fact that they have always been "older" in my mind. It's like trying to relate to your father or grandfather.

It's poor storytelling. Without progression, nothing matters.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by josai21 View Post
    Fully agree with this.

I already find it difficult to relate to Batman/Superman etc. but love Dick's and later generations. Deaging Bruce and Clark does nothing to change the fact that they have always been "older" in my mind. It's like trying to relate to your father or grandfather.

It's poor storytelling. Without progression, nothing matters.
    Agreed.

That's not to say that comics need to be set in real time, sometimes the big "set piece" events can take 2-3 years to publish what is probably only days to weeks worth of stories (for example Blackest Night/Brightest Day took most of two years to publish but wasn't anywhere near that long). What really annoys me is when writers/editors make it clear that they have no interest in staying consistent, like with Tim Drake, who was identified as 13 at debut, 15-16 a few years later (which IIRC was roughly consistent with the official timeline at the time), and then after three major events - Cataclysm/NML, 52 and OYL - he's sixteen. I mean I don't expect days of exhaustive research everytime you use a character, but can you at least try - 52 and OYL tell you in the title how long they took!

Yeah, Tim definitely should've been 18 at that point.
    Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Everyone on that show is way older than most of their comic counterparts.
    Especially after the timeskip between seasons 2 and 3. They aged up so much that Aqualad outright replaced Aquaman.

Yeah, Kara is one of those characters whose current continuity is strictly post-New 52. Post-Crisis originally had a rule that Superman should be the only surviving Kryptonian, hence the 90s Matrix Supergirl.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 06-13-2019 at 04:07 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Wasn't he over 18 for a little while and then deaged? So it's not like he was 17 for 15 years straight. Just the bulk of a 15 year period, with a minor traipse into 18+ somewhere in there.
    No Tim just became 17 shortly before flashpoint, and was apparently aged back to 16 afterwards (they didn't mention his age during the fist years pot flashpoint).

Extraordinary Member

Wasn't she around Batgirls age pre crisis? That would have made her several years older than the Fab5 back than (pre crisis Batgirl was 7 years older than Robin).