Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Well, she's awful hard to see some times.

Not sure what you mean by "Did I miss".
    She was in the group The Crusaders back in issues #14-15 of The Invaders original 1970s series (created as a Marvel equivalent of Phantom Lady from DC's Freedom Fighters), but she lost her powers at the end of that story.

Though it appears Marvel reused the name for a character in their 1997 Alpha Flight run.

Thanks for uploading the Ghost Girl images!
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Yeah both marvel and dc came up with the crusaders in joke and had them out the same month. Back when marvel and dc did stuff like that. They did a "crossover" in a issue of aquaman and sub-mariner in the same month also where the plot started in one book and ended in the other!

Kind of wish marvel would use ghost girl more. They did use dyna-mite more later when he became the new destroyer in invaders.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Yeah both marvel and dc came up with the crusaders in joke and had them out the same month. Back when marvel and dc did stuff like that.
    Invaders #14-15 were cover-dated March and April of 1977.
    Freedom Fighters #7 (where The Crusaders showed up on the very last page) was cover-dated March-April 1977, but the actual meeting with the Freedom Fighters (in issues #8 and #9) was in issues with cover-dates of May-June 1977 and July-August 1977, so it didn't actually happen in the same month(s) as Marvel's Crusaders 2-parter.

By the way, some other people worth mentioning here:

They weren't created until the early 1960s, but they had many adventures set in WWII that crossed paths with Captain America and other heroes of the day.

In fact, they even met up with Heinrich Zemo (who went by the name "Dr. Zemo" at the time) before that unfortunate mask-thing and his identifying himself as "Baron Zemo".

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

It was designed to be. The writers working on it even used the same group name ("The Crusaders") to make that fact clear.

And for who actually became the DC version of "The Crusaders", anybody aware of comic book creators for Marvel and DC at the time would enjoy the in-joke.

Also see:
    That is so cool, with Roy and Len and Marv and Archie! Thanks for posting this.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    That is so cool, with Roy and Len and Marv and Archie! Thanks for posting this.
    No problem.

(It helps that I'm almost as old as dirt and remember it from back in the last century.)

And here's another one who was revived in the series The Twelve:

Another interesting one from Roy Thomas back on his Avengers run in the early 1970s with the Kree.

While there was this in Avengers #97 (March 1972):

A few months earlier there was this in Avengers #92 (September 1971):

which appeared to include quite a few Golden Age heroes that weren't from Timely/Marvel.

(The one I'm not 100% sure about is the one just below and to the right of Captain America, though I'm guessing that might be the Fantom of the Fair from Centaur.)

. . . A few months earlier there was this in Avengers #92 (September 1971):

which appeared to include quite a few Golden Age heroes that weren't from Timely/Marvel.
    Starting with the figure in the Top Left of that panel,

it looks like we have

Cat-Man (David Merrywether), originally published in the 1940s by various comic book companies under Temerson and then Holyoke.

He and his partner, Kitten, later became public domain properties and were used by both AC Comics (FemForce and others) as well as Dynamite (as part of Project Superpowers).

By the way, some other people worth mentioning here:
    I wonder when there will be a new mini series based on the Howling Commandos. Would be nice.

Also from that panel in Avengers #92 (September 1971), further down on the left and towards the middle (just below Namor)

we appear to have

Fighting Yank (Bruce Carter III), originally published by Better/ Standard/ Nedor comics. And as with Cat-Man, Fighting Yank later became a public domain character and was used by both AC Comics (in FemForce) as well as Dynamite (also as part of Project Superpowers).

However, Fighting Yank also looks like he may have inspired a character that did later appear in The Invaders:

Spirit of '76.

Towards the bottom left side of the panel in Avengers #92 (September 1971),

it looks like the Hillman comic character The Heap.

Though it also resembles a character created for Marvel in the early 1970's: Man-Thing

I thought it was an early Man-Thing drawing, even though Man-Thing was not yet out.

Towards the bottom left side of the panel in Avengers #92 (September 1971),

it looks like the Hillman comic character The Heap.

Though it also resembles a character created for Marvel in the early 1970's: Man-Thing
    Marvel's Heap http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix4/heaphillmanaveng.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    I think it's pushing it to refer to the character as "Marvel's Heap" since the character was created by Hillman in the Golden Age and that version is who would have been referenced by Roy Thomas along with the other characters in that panel. Any incorporation/retcon of The Heap/von Emmelman into Marvel's past would have probably been after that panel was published and based more on any theoretical public domain status at the time.