Page 55 of 117 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member Captain Buttocks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Developing their own religion is kind of culty.....
    Looking forward to seeing Fantomex show up, who I believe is immune to religion. Hopefully he rocks up, shrugs his shoulders, joins in for an orgy or two and then decides to get the hell out of dodge before his sentinel relatives arrive.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Again, we're talking about a woman who was incredibly mentally ill and a man who had been forcibly changed by a cosmic wishing stone.

But that just makes it more suspicious, especially since that money seems to be coming from Emma, not really all of the Quiet Council.
    First as a mentally ill person, when im on a lower day im responsible enough to take some minimal precautions for my safety and of others, not activly seek something to make things worse, wanda did exactly that with seeking power from doom.
    mental illness explains it, doesnt justify or absolve.

and also mutants dont seem to have money on the island, its all used outside so I personally dont see anything stoping mutants leaving the island besides the danger

But is this the same thing? Is it really? Especially when even Kurt is pointing out how reckless this whole thing is and that it seemed designed by Apocalypse to be as brutal and violent as possible.
    We don’t have to get it or like it. It isn’t for us. It is for them, and it works FOR THEM. Is it problematic and strange? Yeah, prolly. Especially to those mutants who have more deeply embraced human centric cultures and faiths.

Do I agree with it, from my perspective as a human who hasn’t conquered death or lost my superpowers to a mad woman’s curse? Eh...it’s not really my place to agree or disagree with something so far outside my contextual comfort zone.

Is it a fascinating wrinkle in this new status quo that will likely lead to something big down the road? And if I’m patient and just enjoy the ride through what amounts to a new, ‘alien’ culture, I might get to see that payoff? Absolutely.

We just need to accept it, as part of a fictional culture that is not ours, and move on.

Or, we can be like colonizers and demand that these filthy savages stop being filthy savages and adopt proper British decorum, or else.

Wanda was of sound mind here and recalls this. She made a choice here.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by zinderel View Post
    So...should we just abandon allegory entirely, and go totally literal?
    No, but part of what makes it a good metaphor is that it means more than one thing at the same time. Mutants are an oppressed minority, but what makes them an oppressed minority is that they have power inherent in what makes them a minority.

The book has long since moved beyond the original premise which had Magneto wanting to conquer all humanity in the name of his master race and Xavier going, essentially, "the humans will like us if we stop the evil mutants from killing them." But it's still part of the premise that mutants have power and that Xavier's dream was partly about what superpowered people owe to the less powerful.

To me what makes it a good metaphor is that it illuminates more than one thing. Like, yes, M-Day is horrific because we see people lose what made them a people and forced to conform to someone else's idea of "normal." But it's also about the fact that suddenly losing privilege (which is what the majority of mutant powers are) can actually be traumatic and it doesn't matter whether the privilege was earned or not.

BANNED

This is bad writing and contradicts the fact she had literally risked her life trying to fix her "mistake" with the Phoenix and Hope literally right before that run...
    yet still canon, what a shame

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Nope, don't see a difference.
    No problems there are many images.

Cult 02.jpg

Cult 03.jpg

We have people who can literally destroy reality with a tbought, we have people who kill everyone within a certain radius, etc. This isn't the same thing.

I'm not talking about the blue lady with birds for hair or frog boy
    Im talking about people who can literally build a bomb and blow up a building or drive by and shoot up your house with you and everyone you love in it (which would destroy your reality pretty handily). I’m not taking about nice grandmothers who sing in their church’s choir or the lawyers and teachers.
    Last edited by zinderel; 02-26-2020 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    No he states Wanda not decimation
    Not in that panel.

This Wanda debate has grown tedious I swear if the retcon is undone some of y'all are going to be sick when they absolve her and invite her to Krakoa.

Developing their own religion is kind of culty.....
    Tell that to...literally every religion. Then get back to us on how that went for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    wanda did exactly that with seeking power from doom.mental illness explains it, doesnt justify or absolve.
    And that to me is exactly the reason why the mutants are afraid of her. For her, loss of control could mean the end of an entire people and they've already experienced it once.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferro View Post
    yet still canon, what a shame
    So I guess we should keep bringing up that Cyclops said that everything he did after Decimation was wrong in Rosenburgs run.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Not in that panel.
    Additionally Wanda is the person who enacted Decimation. She was the centre of that issue. Wanda was also very thorough
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Nope, her spell summoned the Phoenix Force in AvX. Phoenix Ressurection occurs well after
    Oh right, for some reason I keep thinking AvX happened later than it really did

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    She was irritated and said things… really, without context, words mean little…
    No, I think it's bad writing, Remender seemed to have a low opinion of mutants as minorities and used Wanda and Alex as his mouthpieces