View Poll Results: What were your feelings on the issue?

Voters
177. You may not vote on this poll
  • LOVED IT! Can't wait for more!

86 48.59%
  • Liked it quite a bit!

59 33.33%
  • It was an average read.

22 12.43%
  • I didn't really like it and I'm not sure I'm going to continue reading it.

7 3.95%
  • I hated it. I will never read another X-Factor issue unles Thumbelina appears.

3 1.69%
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

I was eagerly awaiting this book and I enjoyed it. The huge draw for me was the art. I think Baldeon's art will evolve with the series if he stays on for awhile. I love the expressiveness, the backgrounds are beautiful and the look of David and JP really drew me in. One notable thing for me was Baldeon's rendering of Cerebro. It looked great on Xavier and gave him a really sleek look-as opposed to how clunky and "uncool" it looked when Dodson drew it in X-Men/FF. Storm also didn't carry any beauty or regalness in her panel. I was looking to see how Baldeon would handle her and I was disappointed. Again, these are things the artist will grow into and I'm looking forward to more from him.
    I loved the story, but the writing lacked nuance. I'm gay and even I felt hit over the head that Daken was bisexual. If a new reader didn't know this, it would've been something nice to reveal in the story. Show us, don't always tell us. Also, the use of "dude" makes me feel like I'm reading younger characters. Maybe I don't know his character that well, but would Proteus use "dude?" And why did Egg use the phrase "ye dinna." I thought he was mockng Rahne or her speech, but she wasn't in the panel. Maybe these things are me nit picking, but if there's so much dialogue, I'm going to read it carefully as I'm assuming there's information there.
    Again, I loved the story. I just wish the dialogue was more nuanced and less snarky.
    The art is what wins me over. I don't know much about Prodigy and I wanna read more about him and I really wanna see Lorna and Rachel developed well and with some consistency.
    I'm gonna continue with this book.
    Last edited by GeneTitan; 07-30-2020 at 09:38 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I believe Egg and the Scottish Proteus’s lines were swapped.

Proteus is Moira’s son. He’s Scottish.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post

Leah confirmed this dialogue error.

I think it was a pretty solid first issue. I love how much the story moved. Most books would have taken at least 3 issues to tell the exact same story.
    Yes, sometimes there was too much dialogue, but I loved most of the character interactions. I do think Leah went a bit overboard with some meta moments (Lorna and Magneto), thought. I hope she can still hit character moments without taking us out of the story so much.
    What surprised me most about the issue is how it made me completely sold on the cast. They all had their moments and felt integral to the mission and overall concept. Would I have liked some different additions like Frenzy and Hindsight? Yes, but now I'm pretty happy with what we got.

As for the art, I think Baldeon is a great artist but his more cartoony style wouldn't have been my first choice for the book. With that said, he did a pretty good job and I like his take on most of the cast. But I wish his Lorna looked more regal and Daken wasn't so uncharacteristically enormous (plus who would walk around shirtless like that all the time?).
    In terms of the art, what I really don't like is the coloring. This colorist in particular always makes everything way too orange and saturated. Something a bit less flashy ans unnatural would probably work a lot better for what's essentially a crime book.

I'd give this a 7,5/10. Pretty good first issue and I'm excited for more of this team.

As much as I wanted to like this, I could not get into it.

I was only ever interested in Polaris & Daken, and I thought their characterization was off.

Daken being on a team really doesn't make much sense to me. And Lorna was so passive the entire issue.

On a positive note, I thought Northstar was handled quite well.

I will at least continue through the X of Swords chapter...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post

I for one kind of get the want to depict Proteus like some young adult and he is,but saying stuff like 'dude'...really such an iconic,powerful villain being made to look like a bratty teen..I don't like this direction,I'd expect that from any of the 5 but not Proteus.At least voice him like an old soul even if he aint
    Last edited by Rev9; 07-30-2020 at 06:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    I for one kind of get the want to depict Proteus like some young adult and he is,but saying stuff like 'dude'...really such an iconic,powerful villain being made to look like a bratty teen..I don't like this direction,I'd expect that from any of the 5 but not Proteus.At least voice him like an old soul even if he aint
    Again: It was an error. The two speech bubbles were directed incorrectly. Egg/Fabio/Goldballs is the one who was supposed to say Dude. The scottish sounding speech bubble is supposed to be Proteus.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Again: It was an error. The two speech bubbles were directed incorrectly. Egg/Fabio/Goldballs is the one who was supposed to say Dude. The scottish sounding speech bubble is supposed to be Proteus.
    Ooooohhh, that makes more sense. I was also confused at this scene.

Mighty Member

100% same.

The only disappointment for me is that other people didn't enjoy this as much as I did.
    Most of us enjoyed this. It's much better than the boring stuff being written by Brisson in New Mutants.

They all complement each other with their powers and worked well as a team.

Astonishing Member

Well that helps make me feel a bit less perplexed,I was getting worried there

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    Got to wonder why she was even driving in the first place - is this another part of the mystery?
    Yeah, this whole bit seems weird. Aurora leaving Krakoa to hook with a dude in Montreal (shades of Crystal, in that Avengers run, wandering off to hook up with a salesdude in a hotel room, also a WTF out of nowhere development, IMO), and then go drive off a bridge? (She *loves* to fly. What's with the driving?)

But I'm willing to see where it's going. It sure didn't seem like an accident!

And yes to everyone who has said that Amazing Baby is annoying. Still. Could be worse. I'll take a baby warwolf over being stuck with Glob Herman or Quentin Quire any day.

Maybe she didn't want to attract attention? A car is more discreet than flying.

I'm less versed in Miss Aurora but... is it possible one of her personalities is driving (both her, and the vehicle).

Is it really that weird for flying mutants to want to use cars some times?

I always wondered if using powers like that are equal to physical exhertion for humans. Like, I'm too tired to fly by myself, I'll just take the car.

in my best oprah voice "loooooovvvveeed iiiiiit." This is easily my fave title next to marauders. The story was smart, fun, and easy to follow. Each member is there for a reason and the voices really speak to me. Rachel feels like she is on the verge of something. Polaris feels as though she will get the most introspection which she deeply needs and Daken feels like he will be the break out star. I love that Leah is continuing the voice Taylor started to give him. Also Prodigy remains awesome. I'm all in.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/