Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Being fair, Strange’s reaction time and speed of fighting is far higher than that of normal humans. Wolverine can’t blitz him (and he’s good enough to duke it out with Logan), he directs his cloak to snatch a thrown knife out of the air (Comic Strange must mentally control the Cloak’s actions, it isn’t an independent entity), etc.

But I agree that a half second isn’t enough to get his REALLY good stuff going.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    As a side note - Esoterics are esoterics, really. It doesn’t matter if transmutation is Eternal powers, Power Cosmic, or magic, transmutation resistance would work against it all unless here’s some specific weakness in that resistance. Someone resistant to mutant telepathy isn’t just going to fold to magic telepathy (again, barring a noted weakness to such).

Strange’s shields protect him from esoterics; I don’t see why they wouldn’t shield him from esoterics tagged as ‘Science’. They’ve blocked scientific disintegration beams perfectly well, as an example.

My feeling, anyway.
    I'm fine with that. Just thought I'd ask. This call was for the Sharp one, not the Captain.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I gotta go flash... Strange is insanely cosmic leveled powered... but he still has to concentrate and perform his spells. I just don't see him having time to do things like that. Unless he came into this battle already amped up and pre-cast, I just don't think Doc would have a chance to react. On the worst day, Flash hits him before the shields are in place... even if they are 'auto' they still have to form, and Flash is faster than thought. On his best day, he's just a blur of red that disrupts concentration and aim...

I think Doc has the upper hand on almost any JL characters... but something about Flash just seems to trump everything.
    This here. Gotta go with Flash

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I gotta go flash... Strange is insanely cosmic leveled powered... but he still has to concentrate and perform his spells. I just don't see him having time to do things like that. Unless he came into this battle already amped up and pre-cast, I just don't think Doc would have a chance to react. On the worst day, Flash hits him before the shields are in place... even if they are 'auto' they still have to form, and Flash is faster than thought. On his best day, he's just a blur of red that disrupts concentration and aim...

I think Doc has the upper hand on almost any JL characters... but something about Flash just seems to trump everything.
    Auto shields are...um automatic. It instantly comes at the start of the match without Stephen even having to think. And they're strong enough to give Strange the time to cast other spells.

What stops Wally from simply stealing his speed

Wally has to be fairly close to speed steal which is negated at the bell by autoshields.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Wally has to be fairly close to speed steal which is negated at the bell by autoshields.
    Strange's shields don't cover a huge area typically. Plus Wally has manipulated speed at 10 feet distances and so on. He doesn't have to touch him.

They might still just block the effect though?
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Strange's shields don't cover a huge area typically. Plus Wally has manipulated speed at 10 feet distances and so on. He doesn't have to touch him.

They might still just block the effect though?
    That's the sort of scientific esoteric I was referring to. But the shields seem to protect against a lot of different things.

Oh idk. Speed steal is a very specific sort of thing

Depends. I view autoshields as generally pretty effective against anything deemed outright /harmful/ to the user. Hence why they don't stop gravity from working on them until it presents a threat, to go off of Sharps example. Strange is extra good at blocking esoteric stuff with autoshields due to his plethora of examples of blocking intangible entities or attacks on his soul etc

But still, do we view a speed steal as inherently "harmful"? Or am I overthinking it all :P
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

I see it like this: Strange's autoshields stop things from manipulating him in any way that isn't "normal." This is why they work on bullets, disintegration beams, adamantium claws, hellfire, ghosts, intangibles, magic, gravity, cold, darkforce, blah blah blah. Wally's speed stuff is anything but normal. It's the kind of thing they were made for.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    I see it like this: Strange's autoshields stop things from manipulating him in any way that isn't "normal." This is why they work on bullets, disintegration beams, adamantium claws, hellfire, ghosts, intangibles, magic, gravity, cold, darkforce, blah blah blah. Wally's speed stuff is anything but normal. It's the kind of thing they were made for.
    All those things that you mentioned are harmful effects though. A speed steal isn't. Having said that, I think the auto shields will still protect against it because that's what they do, to stop any attack against Strange.

Has anyone ever tried stopping time with Doctor Strange around? Because I feel like that would be the closest thing.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Even discounting the possibility that the auto shields would defend against it, I wonder how a speed steal would effect Classic Strange's Astral Form, since that can act independent of Strange's body to create and protect against cosmic level effects.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Even discounting the possibility that the auto shields would defend against it, I wonder how a speed steal would effect Classic Strange's Astral Form, since that can act independent of Strange's body to create and protect against cosmic level effects.
    Too funny. I was telling my brother about this very discussion and he suggested exactly what you're suggesting. Only question I have is isnt Strange a little less effective magically in astral form?
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.