Page 104 of 333 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104105106107108114154204 ... LastLast
Results 1,546 to 1,560 of 4988
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
    Post-Crisis Superman was a way better person of his pre-Crisis counterpart, from a moral and human point of view. The latter was such an example of selfishness and dickery that when people remember that period with nostalgia I am convinced that in reality they confuse it with the Christopher Reeves' version.
    In terms of his actual adventures, there really wasn't that much of a difference between a story written in 1984 and 1987.
    Assassinate Putin!

BANNED

Power Girl may be hotter than Supergirl, but Supergirl still is hot and better character

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheManhunterfromMars View Post
    Power Girl may be hotter than Supergirl, but Supergirl still is hot and better character
    Like with most things, this depends on the creative team. The Palmiotti/Gray/Conner run of Power Girl is one of the best female led superhero books I've ever read.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    In terms of his actual adventures, there really wasn't that much of a difference between a story written in 1984 and 1987.
    You are right. I mean post reboot.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
    You are right. I mean post reboot.
    1987 WAS post reboot. To give you an example, go back and re-read "Old Ties" in Adventures of Superman #429 where post-Crisis Superman threatens Cat Grant's ex for custody of her son. As in, he goes to his apartment and openly threatens him. All because he liked her. This was a private custody case that had nothing to do with him. He has absolutely no reason to involve himself in it at all. Or "Personal Best" where he reverts to his GA self and starts dangling gangsters off of roofs after Perry White's son is kidnapped. Or lets an ordinary human punch him. Both written by Marv Wolfman. THE biggest writer DC had in the 1980s. Maybe the problem isn't which "version" it is, maybe the problem is the general attitude of that decade. And the ones before it. Maybe things were just more accepted back then that wouldn't be acceptable today. Even if the reboot had taken place two years earlier, you would still run into the same problems. Humans evolve. It's just the nature or society. All we can do is be better in the future.
    Last edited by superduperman; 01-09-2020 at 11:57 AM.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I know this might sound a bit crazy, but go with me here. The more I think about it, the more I think that Harry Lampert was thinking of Hermes (aka Mercury) when he designed the Flash--including the strapless helmet with the wings on it. It's a whacky theory and you might all laugh, but I have a hunch that it's true.
    I agree and also said so myself on other boards

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheManhunterfromMars View Post
    Factually incorrect, sir. Power Girl is a great character and generally a lot more consistently characterized than Supergirl has been.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Factually incorrect, sir. Power Girl is a great character and generally a lot more consistently characterized than Supergirl has been.
    I wonder if that's partially because Power Girl is made to stand out so much from Supergirl and isn't meant to be as integral to the franchise as Kara is so there's less fussing with her (beyond her origin).

BANNED

Wouldn't mind Earths with no sidekicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder if that's partially because Power Girl is made to stand out so much from Supergirl and isn't meant to be as integral to the franchise as Kara is so there's less fussing with her (beyond her origin).
    That's almost certainly it. There's no corporate impetus to get PG "right" like there is for Supergirl and if they don't hit the desired metrics for sales, they try something very different until the IP blows up or fizzles out. It's why Supergirl has historically changed personalities every, what, five years?

That's almost certainly it. There's no corporate impetus to get PG "right" like there is for Supergirl and if they don't hit the desired metrics for sales, they try something very different until the IP blows up or fizzles out. It's why Supergirl has historically changed personalities every, what, five years?
    I think her personality has been more consistent then that, but DC really seems to want to fiddle with her a lot.

Why else would they turn her evil every few months?

I think her personality has been more consistent then that, but DC really seems to want to fiddle with her a lot.

Why else would they turn her evil every few months?
    Evil, virtuous, upbeat party girl, angry loner, all-American sweetheart, everygirl with a big shadow to get out from, depressed survivor of a doomed world, PG ripoff-- PICK ONE, DC!

That's my biggest problem with Kara. I like some, don't like others, but they gotta settle on something and lock in. With the TV show, maybe they're finally found their groove, but man it's taken a while!

Evil, virtuous, upbeat party girl, angry loner, all-American sweetheart, everygirl with a big shadow to get out from, depressed survivor of a doomed world, PG ripoff-- PICK ONE, DC!

That's my biggest problem with Kara. I like some, don't like others, but they gotta settle on something and lock in. With the TV show, maybe they're finally found their groove, but man it's taken a while!
    I bolded what I think people generally think of when they think of Supergirl.

The non-bolded are usually what when DC tries to shake things up with the characters only for fans to reject it, at least from what I've seen. Nobody really likes evil Supergirl any more then they like evil Mary Marvel.

The non-bolded are usually what when DC tries to shake things up with the characters only for fans to reject it, at least from what I've seen. Nobody really likes evil Supergirl any more then they like evil Mary Marvel.
    While I agree, it happens too often to discount and the New 52 was too long and recent a departure from the things you bolded to forget either.

Actually, while depressed survivor of a doomed world is certainly an interesting take (though mine would have been "grieving" and not depressed) that I very much enjoy the idea of, it's certainly not one that I, a person only casually interested in Supergirl, generally think of. Seems like it was a later additional to the mythos. At least, in the older ones I read, she didn't seem to be all that upset.

I do agree on the the turning her evil thing being annoying and rejecting it. But then, I feel that way for every hero, so she's not special to me in that way.