Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I like all eleven live-action STAR WARS movies, and I feel like such a freak. I mean...doesn't ANYBODY else like all eleven?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    I'm pretty sure they do!

Ultimate Member

I like all eleven live-action STAR WARS movies, and I feel like such a freak. I mean...doesn't ANYBODY else like all eleven?

I didn't like TLJ but there's something about Star Wars that just keeps them watchable.

I actually re-watched TLJ after TROS....and i don't loathe it as much as before.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I didn't like TLJ but there's something about Star Wars that just keeps them watchable.

I actually re-watched TLJ after TROS....and i don't loathe it as much as before.

That's the thing about TLJ, the more you watch it, the more you appreciate it.
    I wonder if in future the same can be said about TROS?

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Do we have to tear people down to compliment others?
    Stating the truth isn't tearing someone down. It was an unenviable task, it didn't have to be. All Rian had to do was deliver a great Luke.

That's it. That's all he had to do. Not only did he not do that he also torched Finn and Poe and had a slow speed chase in outer space

Mr. Subvert Your Expectations failed so spectacularly that it split the fanbase. JJ had to come back and do emergency surgery to save it.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 01-16-2020 at 10:24 AM.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by billee0918 View Post
    I knew it would but I’m still thrilled to see it. One billion!!
    Although I am the first to say that sales does not equal quality. I am happy as a clam that it is doing well. This was a very good film and it bodes well that SW will continue to make movies for those of who like a good old fashioned yarn and want fall into a story.

By the way I just saw the film for the 10th time on Tuesday. I will probably see it at least once a week until it's pulled.

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    That's the thing about TLJ, the more you watch it, the more you appreciate it.
    I wonder if in future the same can be said about TROS?
    In fairness that's not true for everyone . I actually had the opposite experience when I saw TLJ without the luster of the theatre.

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    In fairness that's not true for everyone . I actually had the opposite experience when I saw TLJ without the luster of the theatre.
    Same, After watching it in the theatre first it was nice eye candy so it took me watching it over a few times to form an opinion. And the more I saw it the more is found stuff that I really didn't like.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    Same, After watching it in the theatre first it was nice eye candy so it took me watching it over a few times to form an opinion. And the more I saw it the more is found stuff that I really didn't like.
    Opposite for me. I never saw TLJ as eye candy. I thought that it was one of the most cerebral films I have ever seen. I started watching it again the other day and I was immediately hit with why I loved it and found it so engaging. I posted that I love TROS more, but that might not be the case. TROS is great for me due to Rey, but over all I like TLJ because it has that something. Time will tell how they both shake out. But I love them both. I just got the over-sized French movie posters.
    Last edited by Mia; 01-17-2020 at 04:08 PM.

You can mark me down as someone who liked all 11 too. Yeah, some of them were better/worse than others, had flaws, etc...but I can't say there's a Star Wars film I truly didn't enjoy.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    So about failing to reach a billion... I had no clue why this was hill some people wanted to die on but anyways just wanted to put reminder out there

Moving along
    Maybe it's all they have left, at this point?

You're not alone. Some I like a lot more then others and some that I really dislike certain parts of, but, yeah, I overall have enjoyed the whole series to date. Considering how many there are and the insane expectations some of them "had" to deliver on, that's pretty impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Stating the truth isn't tearing someone down. It was an unenviable task, it didn't have to be. All Rian had to do was deliver a great Luke.

That's it. That's all he had to do. Not only did he not do that he also torched Finn and Poe and had a slow speed chase in outer space

Mr. Subvert Your Expectations failed so spectacularly that it split the fanbase. JJ had to come back and do emergency surgery to save it.
    The quickest way to get out of a whole is to put down the shovel.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

The quickest way to get out of a whole is to put down the shovel.
    Totally agree, hopefully Disney keeps ghosting Rian Johnson.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The toxic fandom don't have issues with those two like 2 of the 3 had to deal with.

The build up of those two has not be derailed like it was for Finn.

Also those two are not following the OT cast. They are on their own.
    The Star Wars fanbase is in a trash class all of its own.

Trekkies may have hated Wil Wheton's Wesley Crusher but they didn't torment the dude to the point where he seriously contemplated suicide like Jar Jar Binks actor.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    The Star Wars fanbase is in a trash class all of its own.

Trekkies may have hated Wil Wheton's Wesley Crusher but they didn't torment the dude to the point where he seriously contemplated suicide like Jar Jar Binks actor.
    There is just a troubling general trend with the infantilization of pop culture, where pretty much everything popular these days is some updated version of something that people enjoyed as kids, whether that be Star Wars, Marvel, Transformers, or what have you. And as much as filmmakers hate pandering to the hardcore fanboys, the studios and their parent companies are keen to find ways to hook them, because they know that a crazed man child that will shell out obscene amounts of money for merchandise is the equivalent of dozens of normal moviegoers who will just buy a ticket and nothing more. And so if that means throwing your actors and directors under the bus to satisfy the wishes of irrational fans, then that's what they will do, basic human decency be damned.

And while the studios are making money hand over fist with honestly minimal effort putting out these copy pasta superhero and sci-fi movies, I do feel like that we need something more substantial in our entertainment. Marvel and Star Wars are basically like the cinematic equivalent of junk food, and while we might enjoy watching them, they are fundamentally unsatisfying and will always leave us with a sick feeling if we consume too much. The delusion for many fans is that this is somehow not an inherent property of these types of films, but rather something that can be fixed if only they would tweak a few details here and there, but if you just take a step back and think about it, that will never work. From the beginning, Star Wars has been a blatantly commercial vehicle with a recycled plot, wooden characters, and some of the most ridiculous dialogue ever committed to screen. We may have been blind to that as kids, but now that we realize this as adults it does kind of make our childhood memories seem a bit manufactured and inauthentic, and the fact that the new films constantly remind us of the fundamentally corporate nature of the franchise is just troubling to us. But there just isn't a version of the sequel trilogy that will put the cat back in the bag and restore the magic of the originals, since that was always just an illusion all along.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Totally agree, hopefully Disney keeps ghosting Rian Johnson.
    It's suddenly dawning on me just what a saint Johnson was for having to deal with stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    There is just a troubling general trend with the infantilization of pop culture, where pretty much everything popular these days is some updated version of something that people enjoyed as kids, whether that be Star Wars, Marvel, Transformers, or what have you.
    That makes no sense.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by billee0918 View Post
    I knew it would but I’m still thrilled to see it. One billion!!
    Glad to see they made it. They deserved it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    So about failing to reach a billion... I had no clue why this was hill some people wanted to die on but anyways just wanted to put reminder out there

Moving along
    Indeed I am Very Happy that Rise of Skywalker hit the Billion dollar Club as well, Loved the Movie, deserves it!

It gets more interesting to when you do the Movie Math as well to put some things in a Real Perspective for this and Disney Star Wars.

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!