Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Bill Everett Appreciation

A place to appreciate the under appreciated, but amazing Bill Everett!

I'm a huge a Namor fan, so that was my introduction to Everett. I'm not as familiar with his other work, so I'm hoping other Everett fans will share their knowledge. I'll edit this post with shared information.
    Last edited by Rheged; 05-02-2014 at 01:21 PM.

BANNED

Blake Bell has written this great biography on Everett, and is collecting some of his other work in a few paperbacks. There's a CBR interview about this book here:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?i...7&page=article

In the 70s he returned to writing and drawing Namor for about a year. I really enjoyed these issues, but the fan base was use to the Marvel style and did not appreciate it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    BIll Everett's left a great legacy for us to remember. Namor should be as popular as Superman and Batman were.
    Agreed! I've often wondered WHY this is not so? Chief Jon, another Namor fan here on CBR, wrote an cool essay on the how Namor is Marvel's Superman. You can read it here:

http://www.marvel616politics.com/201...vels-superman/

or here:

http://community.comicbookresources....ll=1#post18908

http://community.comicbookresources....ll=1#post18915

Quote Originally Posted by Edhopper View Post
    In the 70s he returned to writing and drawing Namor for about a year. I really enjoyed these issues, but the fan base was use to the Marvel style and did not appreciate it.

Sadly, you'd have to count me among that fanbase at that time. When I was a kid, I didn't appreciate Bill Everett's stories or art, but fortunately, I have grown older and wiser. Though, to be fair, Torg??? OTOH, I did love his introduction of Namorita and that Venus and Ares issue you posted, even as a kid.

Also, IIRC, there were problems with the book coming out on time with Everett, back then, weren't there? I think he was already ill.
    Last edited by Rheged; 05-03-2014 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    Agreed! I've often wondered WHY this is not so? Chief Jon, another Namor fan here on CBR, wrote an cool essay on the how Namor is Marvel's Superman. You can read it here:

http://www.marvel616politics.com/201...vels-superman/

or here:

http://community.comicbookresources....ll=1#post18908

http://community.comicbookresources....ll=1#post18915

Sadly, you'd have to count me among that fanbase at that time. When I was a kid, I didn't appreciate Bill Everett's stories or art, but fortunately, I have grown older and wiser. Though, to be fair, Torg??? OTOH, I did love his introduction of Namorita and that Venus and Ares issue you posted, even as a kid.

Also, IIRC, there were problems with the book coming out on time with Everett, back then, weren't there? I think he was already ill.
    You might be right, but it still wasn't accepted well by the readers. As for Torg, any worse than some of the monsters periodically showing up in the Hulk or other books?

Besides, Torg was kinda cute, and he did show up again.

Over the years I've come to appreciate the lushness of his work.

I think the reason Subby isn't held as highly is because he flip flopped back and forth.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Edhopper View Post
    You might be right, but it still wasn't accepted well by the readers. As for Torg, any worse than some of the monsters periodically showing up in the Hulk or other books?

Besides, Torg was kinda cute, and he did show up again.

Ha! I didn't realize someone else had used Torg!

Well, I didn't care for the Hulk's book, either. Though I do like some of the old monsters, like Fin Fang Foom.

Thanks for posting that page. While I didn't appreciate the character, I do appreciate the art. Everett work is gorgeous! Though now that I think about it, Namor ran into the another Snow King ...

Quote Originally Posted by hondobrode View Post
    Over the years I've come to appreciate the lushness of his work.

I think the reason Subby isn't held as highly is because he flip flopped back and forth.
    Excellent point. Lush is a great way to describe Everett's work.

Perhaps, but Subby has flip flopped back and forth when he was hugely popular.

BANNED

Nostalgia. I used to own that Subby splash above. And a few other inside pages from that issue. I sold 'em all (and all my comic art) I think about 4 or 5 years ago. I lightly penciled in my 3 initials on the back of most of the original art I owned. Might have erased a few though. There is a small rectangle cut out (where the blue pencil line is)and put back in. Don't know why.

Conrad Eschanberg bought it. He must have sold it to "Wills comic art...etc"... purple ink stamp, upper left corner. That wasn't there before.

I could never decide what my favorite Everett art period was. It is either the Atlas 50s work (most like that best) or his last Subby work in Namor, early 1970s. I loved that too. He was still growing artistically. Used to own a 1969 bust drawing he did of Subby in his 1950s style. Everyone thought it was from the Atlas times but, it was late Silver Age. <Sigh>

I liked some of the HULK work. Not all of it. Some was very detailed. He was having a bad time of it then. Booze, I think. Used to own a few Doctor Strange pages he drew too. Everyone forgets he did those. Nice twice up Everetts' those.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Custodes View Post
    Nostalgia. I used to own that Subby splash above. And a few other inside pages from that issue. I sold 'em all (and all my comic art) I think about 4 or 5 years ago. I lightly penciled in my 3 initials on the back of most of the original art I owned. Might have erased a few though. There is a small rectangle cut out (where the blue pencil line is)and put back in. Don't know why.

Conrad Eschanberg bought it. He must have sold it to "Wills comic art...etc"... purple ink stamp, upper left corner. That wasn't there before.

I could never decide what my favorite Everett art period was. It is either the Atlas 50s work (most like that best) or his last Subby work in Namor, early 1970s. I loved that too. He was still growing artistically. Used to own a 1969 bust drawing he did of Subby in his 1950s style. Everyone thought it was from the Atlas times but, it was late Silver Age. <Sigh>

I liked some of the HULK work. Not all of it. Some was very detailed. He was having a bad time of it then. Booze, I think. Used to own a few Doctor Strange pages he drew too. Everyone forgets he did those. Nice twice up Everetts' those.

Oh my goodness. How cool that you actually owned some Everett art, and of Subby himself! I tried to pick up one of those convention sketches like this one, but it went beyond my budget fairly quickly.

He drew Dr. Strange? How cool. I'll have to go looking for those comics. I didn't realize how much inking Everett had done for Marvel in the Silver Age, and into the Bronze age. Though, my favorite Everett inking story, had to be the one where he inked Ross Andru in Marvel Feature, the first Defenders story, and totally ticked Stan Lee off. LOL!

It took me seven years to find any Everett art for sale. Then I had some good luck. I bought the Doc Strange pages with 2 twice up Marie Severen pages of Doc Strange as well. The sketch was 1969 Subby as a kid in the 1950s style. The my favorites... 3 pages (including the splash) from the 70s book inked by himself. I was looking and looking for his Nita from that run but, to no avail. :-(

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Custodes View Post
    It took me seven years to find any Everett art for sale. Then I had some good luck. I bought the Doc Strange pages with 2 twice up Marie Severen pages of Doc Strange as well. The sketch was 1969 Subby as a kid in the 1950s style. The my favorites... 3 pages (including the splash) from the 70s book inked by himself. I was looking and looking for his Nita from that run but, to no avail. :-(
    Holy cow. A treasure trove of Everett art! Oh, I didn't catch that your convention sketch was of Kid Namor. That's cool! I loved those stories in the MMW Atlas book.

I've found plenty of pages for sale, especially from Coolines, but it's all out of my budget. Need to start saving my pennies or else win the lottery. IIRC, he also has a couple pages with Nita.

Holy cow. A treasure trove of Everett art! Oh, I didn't catch that your convention sketch was of Kid Namor. That's cool! I loved those stories in the MMW Atlas book.

I've found plenty of pages for sale, especially from Coolines, but it's all out of my budget. Need to start saving my pennies or else win the lottery. IIRC, he also has a couple pages with Nita.

Go for it. They may all disappear. You are exactly the kind of art lover who should own that Bill Everett art. You are the true appreciator.

PS: Notice my Namor related avatar?

BANNED

A place to appreciate the under appreciated, but amazing Bill Everett!

I'm a huge a Namor fan, so that was my introduction to Everett. I'm not as familiar with his other work, so I'm hoping other Everett fans will share their knowledge. I'll edit this post with shared information.
    Yes, I agree he was under appreciated, but amazing.

BANNED

Alex Ross tribute to Bill Everett, creator of Prince Namor The Sub-Mariner