Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Bendis has mentioned on Twitter that the Question, as some guessed, is going to be a part of this book. Which is excellent news for this Question fan, but sounds like good news for Lois, too - as Vic Sage is a character with almost no established history with Superman, making him part of Lois' world is quite a cool way to build her up separately.
    Kind of interesting to think of Rucka writing Vic Sage again when he's more well-known for killing him off and making Renee the Question.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Kind of interesting to think of Rucka writing Vic Sage again when he's more well-known for killing him off and making Renee the Question.
    Despite killing him off, Rucka has professed great love for Vic Sage Question and did feature him in some of his work before 52.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

LOIS LANE #3
    written by GREG RUCKA
    art and cover by MIKE PERKINS
    variant cover by NICOLA SCOTT
    Jon Kent surprises his mother with a visit to her hideout in Chicago with big news that ties directly into the events of SUPERMAN #15, also on sale this month. While Lois must deal with her now-17-year-old son making life-changing decisions, the two Questions—Renee Montoya and Vic Sage—try to understand their own confusing continuity.
    ON SALE 09.04.19
    $3.99 US | 3 OF 12 | 32 PAGES
    FC | RATED T

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    LOIS LANE #3
    written by GREG RUCKA
    Jon Kent surprises his mother with a visit to her hideout in Chicago with big news that ties directly into the events of SUPERMAN #15, also on sale this month. While Lois must deal with her now-17-year-old son making life-changing decisions, the two Questions—Renee Montoya and Vic Sage—try to understand their own confusing continuity.
    ON SALE 09.04.19
    FC | RATED T

I wanted some Jon and Lois interaction. But not this way. I want to be excited for Rucka's Lois Lane stuff, but this really sucks. At least Vic Sage and Renee figuring out their continuity sounds pretty awesome.
    Currently Reading:

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    LOIS LANE #3
    written by GREG RUCKA
    ON SALE 09.04.19
    FC | RATED T

If I have to follow the rest of the Super-books to understand what's going on, I'm out. I'm not gonna buy a bunch of other books just to follow one. I was hoping this would be a stand alone story. Not something that requires knowing what's going on in every other book.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

Bendis tweeted earlier this week about meeting with Rucka and Fraction every Tuesday night to discuss all things Metropolis related, that is the Lois and Jimmy maxis and Superman and Action. So yes it sounds like they intend to keep a connecting thread through all the books. I think each book will have its own story and what connects them is what's on the fringes and not necessarily the main plots themselves so people can read one book if so inclined because their are all reflectively self contained. If you read all of them, then the little details paint a fuller picture of the Super verse for those interested in that.

Her maxi-series debuts this week.

Final predictions for both critical and commercial success, for both the 1st issue and the series overall?

I think it'll be a critical success all the way through, but commercially I'm less sure: solid numbers for the 1st issue and decent enough numbers the rest of the way.

It looks really bad so far, unfortuantely. Heavy handed anti-Trump stuff in both previews. Not at all subtle and thus distracting. I don't understand the geeking out over Rucka.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Mighty Member

Leaning into the politics makes sense given our current cultural climate, so it's pretty appropriate. As for subtlety, well these aren't subtle times. Apparently, Rucka wrote Lois getting banned from the White House Press Room before it actually happened to Jim Acosta. Trump makes reporters the enemy, it makes sense that Lois is going to have to deal with that. Plus, this will get the book a lot of press and attention. It'll work for it.
    Currently Reading:

Its not the political themes, its how unsubtle it is. Good use of relevant political themes of the day imo are weaved into the fictional plot as opposed to being so on the nose as this. I mean, Rucka literally uses Lois to call Trump an *******. Its nothing against his views its just not what I'm looking for. I'm not saying its either appropriate nor inappropriate, just not what I see as particularly engaging writing. Again, for me.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I haven't read the previews, but are they actually portraying Donald Trump as the sitting President of the USA in her maxi-series? I thought DC Earth no longer used actual presidents.

I guess my question is: is the President explicitly Trump, or implied to be Trump, or not Trump at all (distinct but with similar policies) in this title?

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    It looks really bad so far, unfortuantely. Heavy handed anti-Trump stuff in both previews. Not at all subtle and thus distracting. I don't understand the geeking out over Rucka.
    I find it kind of weird that you don’t like this but are a fan of Pak’s Action run. Didn’t Superman stand with protestors and punch cops at the height of the real-world BLM movement? I wouldn’t exactly call that “subtle” lol. What are some stories of “politics done right” in your eyes? Because when I think of famous comic book stories, none of them are subtle. The X-Men for example are as subtle as a brick, especially stories like “God Loves, Man Kills”. The O’Neil Green Arrow/Green Lantern run was not subtle at all. The early Golden Age Superman stories were not subtle at all. Grant Morrison’s Action Comics made it pretty clear which side of the political spectrum New 52 Superman was on. Hellblazer was very anti-Thatcher, and Morrison was not subtle at all about his opinions on politics or social issues in Doom Patrol or Animal Man.

I get that Rucka certainly isn’t to everyone’s taste, and I have no doubt that this will offend some people, but honestly it doesn’t make sense to me for Lois to hold back. Lois has always been fiery and outspoken about her opinions, and I don’t see this as being OOC for her at all.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    I haven't read the previews, but are they actually portraying Donald Trump as the sitting President of the USA in her maxi-series? I thought DC Earth no longer used actual presidents.

I guess my question is: is the President explicitly Trump, or implied to be Trump, or not Trump at all (distinct but with similar policies) in this title?
    Well in Doomsday Clock Trump is pretty clearly the DCU President even if he’s not explicitly named. Does that mean he’s the in-Universe President now? Obama showed up as President in Abnett’s Aquaman, so DC doesn’t really have the same shyness about portraying sitting President’s that they used to.
    Last edited by Vordan; 06-30-2019 at 07:05 PM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

This isn't the first time Lois has been banned from the press corp. They did the same thing when Luthor was president. This may just be a continuation of that. "Lois is so bold that she gets banned from the press corp!" He may not be personally mentioned at all. In universe president or not. Keep in mind it's not his call. It's DC's call. The idea of Lois being banned from the press corp. may just be too good an idea to pass up from a creative standpoint. Regardless of who's in office.
    Assassinate Putin!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Its not the political themes, its how unsubtle it is. Good use of relevant political themes of the day imo are weaved into the fictional plot as opposed to being so on the nose as this. I mean, Rucka literally uses Lois to call Trump an *******. Its nothing against his views its just not what I'm looking for. I'm not saying its either appropriate nor inappropriate, just not what I see as particularly engaging writing. Again, for me.
    As I said, Trump doesn't leave much room for subtlety.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Well in Doomsday Clock Trump is pretty clearly the DCU President even if he’s not explicitly named. Does that mean he’s the in-Universe President now? Obama showed up as President in Abnett’s Aquaman, so DC doesn’t really have the same shyness about portraying sitting President’s that they used to.
    Has DC ever been shy about portraying the sitting US president? I mean, Reagan was pretty explicitly the president back during Ostrander's original Suicide Squad run. I know Luthor was President for a while, but that seems to be more about storyline than being to afraid to portray the sitting president.
    Currently Reading:

Show of hands (or the typing equivalent): who here is planning on purchasing the LOIS LANE maxi-series (or at least the first issue)?

Me:

All in.

Going for the variant cover if I can get it, otherwise regular cover is fine.