Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Why MCU Spider-Man characters are so inaccurate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzjsEsdmYNk

Interesting video with lots of information on Sony/Marvel deal. But skipping to to 10:43, basically:

With Movies, Sony is licensed Spider-Man characters. For the deal between Marvel and Sony for MCU, for characters put in MCU movies, Marvel gets a stake in and when deal ends those characters will be disputed/frozen from use.

For example, if they had a faithful comic book Mary Jane, Harry, or Venom in MCU, their ownership wout be disputed and the characters frozen from use as long as Sony is licensed characters from Marvel. So the trick around this for Sony is to for the MCU movies create new characters with traits of originals. This is why all Spider-Man characters in MCU movies differ from their original version so that when deal ends, Sony is allowed to use the comic faithful versions in their films because it's not the "same" character.
    Last edited by Vortex85; 07-10-2019 at 06:50 PM.

thats interesting i guess. Although I am quite fond of the mcu cast greatly so I like the change
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Mighty Member

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. May Parker is still an adaptation of May Parker even if they did take liberties with the character's age. I don't see how there could be any distinction legally. Also, how does this explain spoilers:
    Jameson's appearance?
    end of spoilers

Yeah I see what you mean. Maybe its somewhat true but deals for specific characters behind the scenes are made so they can be used and not all of them are agreed upon?

BANNED

I don't know if this is the whole and complete truth because it's not like Sony in the Raimi and ASM movies made 100% totally faithful versions of those characters then either.

I think there was a mix of corporate and creative ideas. On the whole I do think that the Sony-MCU Deal being done hastily means that the MCU Spider-Man movies are done with a lot more rush and less thought than others.

good old youtube
    troo fan or death

the mcu cast has more differences due to wanting to do fresh, new things in the third attempt at a film series for a 57 year old franchise
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    the mcu cast has more differences due to wanting to do fresh, new things in the third attempt at a film series for a 57 year old franchise
    but youtube says
    troo fan or death

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    but youtube says
    The YouTube channel seems more legit than others. This is more than your usual clickbait fan stuff. Not everyone on YouTube is a hack but not being a hack doesn't mean you are by default right, either.

IT also doesn't work, because as Phil Lord and others said they creatively decided against using Ganke in ITSV (an entirely Sony production) because of Ned hijacking Ganke. And of course in FFH, you now have a Betty-Ned romance. So how does this whole Marvel gets more stake in the original versions work. Ned Leeds being Asian was first done in the Weisman Spectacular cartoon also run by Sony.

I definitely think that the MCU movies are hampered by corporate interests and concerns on both sides...but I don't think it's something as rigid as the video makes it out to be.

Sony's deal is to make the MCU work for them. And that allows them to do stuff like Venom and ITSV. And in a way having Tom Holland be the official designated Spidey, allows Sony to greenlight off-kilter projects in Spider-Man that probably would not have been made conventionally. Like would ITSV or a Miles Morales story had happened if you had say the 8th or 9th Tobey Maguire movie? Probably not.

Astonishing Member

The worst thing coming out of that is calling Ganke, Ned Leeds...wow, they found the perfect Ganke actor and calling him Ned....fools...

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The YouTube channel seems more legit than others. This is more than your usual clickbait fan stuff. Not everyone on YouTube is a hack but not being a hack doesn't mean you are by default right, either.
    if the youtuber interviewed industry pros working on the project, has access to the documentation, or is clearly presenting this stuff as conjecture...then they're not a hack.
    troo fan or death

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Yeah I see what you mean. Maybe its somewhat true but deals for specific characters behind the scenes are made so they can be used and not all of them are agreed upon?
    It seems to be one guy's speculation about the implications of a legal deal he's not fully privy to.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    if the youtuber interviewed industry pros working on the project, has access to the documentation, or is clearly presenting this stuff as conjecture...then they're not a hack.
    I don't think anyone is calling anyone a hack, but it's clearly not an accurate assessment/statement that the reason the MCU has changed so many aspect of the Spider-Man mythos and characters is due to Disney/Marvel being able to freeze those characters after the deal expires. As someone else pointed out, Aunt May - despite her younger age - is still Aunt May. Mysterio is still a villain named Quentin Beck using a green suit and holograms to battle Spider-Man - him being a disgraced special effects guru versus a former Stark employee is too negligible of a difference in a legal sense. Same for Adrian Toomes in Homecoming.

What I've read about the deal, and it's not anything official mind you, is that Sony can't use the MCU version of Spider-Man or the MCU version of his supporting characters/plots/mythos, etc. in movies they produce and distribute. But they can still make a Spider-Man movie with all the characters they have licenses to, as they did with Venom and Into the Spider-Verse.

It's just the MCU's creative direction they wanted to go with. A direction I despise!

BANNED

Default To anyone who is curious about how the current Spider-Man film rights work...

Take a look at this video from Midnight’s Edge YouTube and see what is going on with the Spider-Man films...https://youtu.be/CzjsEsdmYNk